Did I miss something?

Rex Hudler

What does Raines doing Coke in the 80's (when apparently half the Major Leagues were doing it) have anything to do with his ability to be a Major League coach in 2005?  Why would Rickey Henderson be any better? 

Just so you know, I could give a s*** either way, but I would like to hear your arguments.  :)

Hell, we gotz a president who stuffed hamburgers up his nose, too. And I think his job is a little more important than a first base coach.

Also, if there is no learning in the majors, then why are there people like Leo Mazzone? Or Jeff Pentland? Why do we need pitching coaches, hitting coaches, bench coaches, bullpen coaches, and Man Soo Lee!!!! :lol:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come now my little Hoosier,  you have been around plenty long enough to know that answer.  As Mr Garrison sang... "Its Easy M-kay" :lol:

Ha true.....but I think a lot of people are going to go into this thread, read it..and they'll leave the thread, reciting the title of it...."Did I miss something?"

Hell, we gotz a president who stuffed hamburgers up his nose, too.  And I think his job is a little more important than a first base coach.

Also, if there is no learning in the majors, then why are there people like Leo Mazzone?  Or Jeff Pentland?  Why do we need pitching coaches, hitting coaches, bench coaches, bullpen coaches, and Man Soo Lee!!!! :lol:

Someone has to warm up the bullpen guys, and throw gum to the kids in the crowd :P

100% Correct.  He deserves to be nothing more than a glorified pinch-runner...and even then 19 stolen bases!!!?  19??? Get rid of this chump.

I guess you are openning the "I h8 Willie" club right next door to my :fyou Magg$$$ club :lol: Maybe we can get booths next to each other at Soxfest :lol:

we were almost last in SB, last in CS....so i see the idea. but personally, i don't think you can teach someone how to steal a base. anyone know of any examples of someone learning to steal bases?

Absolutely you can learn to steal bases. Stealing bases is less about speed than it is learning how to read pitchers and their moves. Knowing when you can get a jump. and when not to run. Yes you need speed to be a great base-stealer, but not all guys with speed are that.

He had over 400 at-bats, I'd call that a fair chance.  That's over double the chance he had the two seasons before.

And he hit .262 with a OBP of .343.

19 steals doesn't impress me either from a guy who has "lightning" speed.

He's not an everyday major league player, there's nothing else to say really.

I didn't watch Willie play on a daily basis, but .263 with an OBP of .343 isn't that damned bad for a guy in his first full season in the Majors. Considering he was never a .300 hitter anyway, I don't see any reason why he can't improve on those numbers next year. He will have to be more consistent if given the chance, but his numbers don't indicate that he was as bad as everyone says.

Absolutely you can learn to steal bases.  Stealing bases is less about speed than it is learning how to read pitchers and their moves.  Knowing when you can get a jump. and when not to run.  Yes you need speed to be a great base-stealer, but not all guys with speed are that.

Look no furhter than Aaron and Willie. In a foot race, Aaron wouldn't even be close. On the basepaths, I would take Arow in a heartbeat.

Absolutely you can learn to steal bases.  Stealing bases is less about speed than it is learning how to read pitchers and their moves.  Knowing when you can get a jump. and when not to run.  Yes you need speed to be a great base-stealer, but not all guys with speed are that.

i know it's not about speed. can you give me some examples of players who learned to become good basestealers (40+ sb's)?

He had over 400 at-bats, I'd call that a fair chance.  That's over double the chance he had the two seasons before.

And he hit .262 with a OBP of .343.

19 steals doesn't impress me either from a guy who has "lightning" speed.

He's not an everyday major league player, there's nothing else to say really.

I'm not saying he is or not, what I'm saying is that the couple times he seemed to get on a roll this season, he was benched. or, he would be on a roll, would have one 0-4 game and then would get benched. he was never given a chance to either stay hot or learn how to break out of a slump.

as far as stealing ... you are right 19 stolen bases isn't acceptable, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to do it. He did it throughout his minor league career and apparently lacked all confidence this season to do it in the majors. Not sure why, maybe it will be something that he's lost for good.

The Sox had the chance this season to find out what he's all about, and while 400 at bats is decent amount, the way it was spread out over the course of the season makes it a useless number.

Now, I'm not saying Harris should be the starting second baseman. If the Sox go out and find a shortstop, decide on Crede starting at third, then Uribe should be starting at second, no question. But I don't think the verdict should yet be out on him.

aboz, why don't we give Willie another year, like Aaron, instead of giving up on him so quickly?

Aaron worked his ass off to come back from the bike injury. Aaron is in the gym 7 days a week. Aaron doesn't run off to bars after a bad night.. and I've never heard him publically say anthing disparaging about his teammates after a crappy outing. Aaron speaks with respect and class, and respects the position he's in. Aaron is conscience of the God given talent he has and is fortunate for the opportunity to showcase it. Aaron works for his position. And doesn't b**** if he's asked to sit.

I can't say one of the above about Willie.

Aaron worked his ass off to come back from the bike injury. Aaron is in the gym 7 days a week. Aaron doesn't run off to bars after a bad night.. and I've never heard him publically say anthing disparaging about his teammates after a crappy outing. Aaron speaks with respect and class, and respects the position he's in. Aaron is conscience of the God given talent he has and is fortunate for the opportunity to showcase it. Aaron works for his position. And doesn't b**** if he's asked to sit.

I can't say one of the above about Willie.

Who cares if a player goes to a bar after a bad outing? It's what they did back then, and it's what Ozzie suggested they do after the first game of the season. Willie's still young, if he were the age of Valentin and "b****ing", then I'd get on his ass, but he's still got a lot to learn. I'm sure Ozzie gave him the talk when he read the papers. And, as far as I know, he's only complained once to the media.

He showed the talent this year, now in my opinion he should get another year to break out.

Butter's right, the Raffy stuff is old news... Rock replacing him is new though...

As for the Willie harris portion of this thread... HE'S A PLATOON PLAYER...

.262/.343/.323 isn't great, but break it down into splits, and I can live with it.

.279/.366/.335 vs. RHP is more respectable, and paired with a SS/2B that can hit LHP he would be just fine....

career .186/.234/.233 vs. LHP should never face a LHP EVER

Polanco (who can play third if needed) is .322/.370/.503 vs. LHP. (lst three seasons)

Vizquel (who's strictly a SS) is .262/.311/.371 vs. LHP (last three seasons) -- but would push Uribe to second.

Eric Young (yep I'm gonna keep saying it) is .294/.383/.436 vs. LHP (last three seasons)

I saw the dismissal of Rafeal Santana on these boards a couple of weeks ago. I think i even saw it in the tribune. I'm pretty sure that it's a fact.

Anyway, it's a great move. You gotta love Rock!

And you'd be wrong.

It's rumored, and not official.. as Tim's "hiring" isn't either.

Raffy is still the Sox 1B coach.. at least the check he got from them on the 15th indcates he still is..

We could hire LaRussa and Francona to be our coaches (Wait a minute, we hired those two long, long ago) and we still wouldn't win the division.

We need at least five things.

Another starter.

A closer.

A right-handed set up guy.

A replacement for Magglio.

and a leadoff hitter.

Until we get some of THOSE pieces, this coach talk is just killin' time.