Did I miss something?

Rex Hudler

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the first base coach hasn't determined many wins and loses. I still find it hard to believe the Sox are so down on Santana. He worked with the infielders, and I believe there has been vast improvement in defensive performance under his guidance. I know they were looking for a baserunning guy. How ironic Raines appears to be the man to get the job. His main criticism from management, media and fans when he played here was he didn't steal enough. Really, besides Harris, and I'm with the group who thinks if the Sox have to count on him, its going to be a long year, who isn't really living up to their stolen base potential? Its just another example of Ozzie bringing in another lackey.

Sant did a good job with Jose. I still knock Jose, but he improved greatly defensively under Santana. I remember a lot of talk of Santana helping Jose with his release point and Jose did become much more accurate with his arm.

As far as Raines goes, he'd be a welcome addition. I think he's a good baseball guy and was a smart baseball player. And in regards to Willie Harris, this is his last year for me. He has the potential, he is good defensively and I think he has the heart, but he just has as a very unconfident attitude about him.

I'm hoping that changes and that he learns to feel that he can compete at this level, once that happens, I think he could do some really good things.

As far as his sb's go. Lets remember how effective he was with Manuel the year before. Sure 19 Sb's was dissapointing, but the guy has the speed and will be able to steal a lot of bases. He got into "safe" mode as I call it since it seemed like any time he made a mistake he was on the bunch, so he was playing in fear and he didn't play good in that situation.

It led to some poor jumps and in general, his agressiveness was gone and thats what makes Willie and any other speeedster dangerous.

However, I think it wll be an open competition between Uribe and Willie. If the Sox add a big bat, I could live with an infield of Crede/Uribe/Willie/PK as long as they get a platoon guy like EY. I know some wouldn't like it, but it would be great defensively and I like the potential in all of the guys in that infield.

In 100 less at-bats, Dave Roberts stole 38 bags.

Now tell me that Roberts is faster than Harris... There's no way.

Willie isn't a smart baseball player.

When did roberts ever do this?

He probally is faster than willie he is known to be lightning quick i don't think willie is lightning quick.

When did roberts ever do this?

He probally is faster than willie he is known to be lightning quick i don't think willie is lightning quick.

Willie's pretty damn fast...but I'd almost say Roberts is faster, and the fact that he can actually read a pitcher only helps him

You guys see him steal that base in game 4? He's got bayou speed(thanks to Hawkharrelson for that phrase).

Maybe Raines can teach the right way to steal some bases.

Another great move if true by the White Sox.

If the rumor is true, it's a great hire for the Sox! If Tim can't teach Willie how to steal, nobody can and the Sox can finally dump this experiment....I've never seen a guy so scared to steal a base like Willie Harris....What's the point of speed if he's afraid to use it?!? And with Raines, maybe he can teach the team how to bunt!

Great scoop!  ESPN's Bruce Levine is reporting they will offer him the job after his contract runs out with the Expos (I believe they said Nov. 2).  I think you beat the local radio outlets with this by at least a day or two!!

And I can guarantee that the only reason Levine is reporting on it is because Rex posted the information.

What the hell does that mean?

She's saying that Levine or those close to him read message boards and got the scoop here.

I didn't get the scoop by any other means than dumb luck. An acquaintance talked to Raines himself last weekend. He just mentioned it to me casually, not knowing it had not been announced. Raines was at a charity golf tournament put on by one of the Expos players.

She's saying that Levine or those close to him read message boards and got the scoop here.

That's news to me. I severly doubt a beat reporter, with any respect to his profession, would resort to an internet message board for inside scoops. In order for Levine to consider you (Rex) as an insider, he would have to atleast know you personally. Does he?

Just to make sure, we should create a bulls*** rumor and see if he mentions it. ;)

That's news to me. I severly doubt a beat reporter, with any respect to his profession, would resort to an internet message board for inside scoops.  In order for Levine to consider you (Rex) as an insider, he would have to atleast know you personally. Does he?

Just to make sure, we should create a bulls*** rumor and see if he mentions it.  ;)

NO, he would call the Sox and try to get a rumor confirmed. I think it would pretty easy for him to determine if there is any teeth to a rumor and just as easy for him to call Scott Reifert to confirm it.

He might even know some people on these boards. Some people do have other connections in this world than just these boards you know. A simple for instance..... Steff knows Dave Willis and might even know Bruce, ya never know! I am pretty sure other people on here at least to some degree know people in the media or those connected to the Sox.

And lastly, why wouldn't a beat reporter nose around on a legit message board? Sometimes, like in this instance, information becomes available here through personal contacts before the Sox release it.

That's weird that in late Sept. he joined the Expos for the rest

of the season. Look at this AP story:

September 20, 2004 (why'd they sign him so late in season?)

MONTREAL (Ticker) - The Montreal Expos announced Monday that Tim Raines will join the club's coaching staff for the remainder of the season.

Raines, the club's all-time leader in stolen bases (635), triples (82), runs (947), singles (1,163) and walks (793), had his No. 30 jersey retired by the Expos on June 19.

Raines retired in 2002 after 23 major league seasons and finished fifth on baseball's all-time stolen base list with 808.

This season, Raines managed the Expos' Class A affiliate of Brevard County in the Florida State League.

--I miss Rock Raines and Durham both as players.

Raines was great and we still could use Ray Ray.

Updated on Monday, Sep 20, 2004 1:56 pm EDT

Email to a Friend

Typically beat reporters check everything from what I know.  Once they see something that comes from someone they think is legit, they'll go and easily have the contacts to call and verify it or at least see if their is any truth to it. 

From their it spreads.

Which is exactly what happened. Rex posted, I made some calls. Raffy confirmed it for me, I asked Wills and it went from there.

That's news to me. I severly doubt a beat reporter, with any respect to his profession, would resort to an internet message board for inside scoops.  In order for Levine to consider you (Rex) as an insider, he would have to atleast know you personally. Does he?

Just to make sure, we should create a bulls*** rumor and see if he mentions it.  ;)

You would be very surprised as to who lurks on these boards and even more surprised who repeats things from these (here, WSI, and the AOL) boards. Grobber posts on WSI on a regular basis.. and we've caught Jay repeating things posted there.

And we have planted "crap" in the past and Jay's repeated it.

You would be very surprised as to who lurks on these boards and even more surprised who repeats things from these (here, WSI, and the AOL) boards. Grobber posts on WSI on a regular basis.. and we've caught Jay repeating things posted there.

And we have planted "crap" in the past and Jay's repeated it.

I wouldn't doubt the presense these fan websites (Soxtalk/WSI) have on the local media. Willsy frequently plugs WSI, and it's foolish to believe noone within the Sox organization curiously browses these board. It could actually be beneficial for KW and company to guage public opinion on various trades, topics. While we have no influence on personnel decisions, who knows if KW might present a trade scenario under an alias to forecast fan reaction. s***, if I was Williams I'd suggest for employees to register on Soxtalk/WSI and preach everything White Sox.

Recently, there have been an abundance of articles on Whitesox.com hyping up our minor league system. Several days ago there was the dubious claim our organization was 'one of the best', and today an article on Fields. Sure, KW see's the same problems we do, but he must also know how critical Sox fans are of home-grown talent. Here and WSI would provide a good reference to the thoughts of knowledgable fans.