Book Value Question...

Steff

Nice piece you've got there steff.

Old books are pretty cool.  I have an original copy of "the call of the wild", and "The Swiss family Robinson".  Neither signed though.

Very nice... if the value I got is for real. Supposedly there are only 6 signed by Twain as Clemens and 4 of them are in his relatives possession.

I'm being told it's worth over $20K.... :unsure:

I guess.. it could be. If someone is willing to pay that much. But if it's really worth that I might hang onto it. Imagine what it might be worth 20 years from now... :o

Very nice... if the value I got is for real. Supposedly there are only 6 signed by Twain as Clemens and 4 of them are in his relatives possession.

I guess.. it could be. If someone is willing to pay that much. But if it's really worth that I might hang onto it. Imagine what it might be worth 20 years from now...  :o

I doubt in twenty years it will go up dramatically. Since it is already as old as it is. 100 year from now is a different story though.

I guess.. it could be. If someone is willing to pay that much. But if it's really worth that I might hang onto it. Imagine what it might be worth 20 years from now...  :o

There is always someone looking to buy historical pieces.

Isn't it also possible to sell things to museums? They probably wouldn't bid too much though.

I doubt in twenty years it will go up dramatically. Since it is already as old as it is. 100 year from now is a different story though.

Ahhh, true.

I'm not waiting 100 MORE years.. :lol:

First I have to find out if the value is real. Then I better get it insured.. :ph34r:

Maybe I'll sell it. it's kind of a cool thing to have though. Conversation starter at least.

i bet there'd be buyers. i'd like to start a rare-book collection someday. doubt i'll ever have the money, though.

i'd believe the figure, provided everything's authentic and depending on condition and how big of a press run your edition had. for comparison, i looked at the manhattan rare book club's site and pieces from fiction writers of comparable stature. they had a signed first from faulkner on sale at $8-9,000 and a signed first edition of a hemingway for > $16,000. and they had a limited first edition (unsigned!) from joyce at $60,000. twain came well before all of them.

in other words, steff, i'm jealous.

Nice find, Stepff.  You may want to have the signature authenticated, if the value is really that high.  I know of places that do that for autographs of athletes, but not sure who could authenticate that piece!

Actually the CPL authenticated it with his family. I guess his estate will be sending a COA. I bought it about 2 months ago.. 7 books for $25 at a garage sale.

i bet there'd be buyers. i'd like to start a rare-book collection someday. doubt i'll ever have the money, though.

i'd believe the figure, provided everything's authentic and depending on condition and how big of a press run your edition had. for comparison, i looked at the manhattan rare book club's site and pieces from fiction writers of comparable stature. they had a signed first from faulkner on sale at $8-9,000 and a signed first edition of a hemingway for > $16,000. and they had a limited first edition (unsigned!) from joyce at $60,000. twain came well before all of them.

in other words, steff, i'm jealous.

The binding is perfect. No dog ears in the entire book, and the spine has no "wrinkles". I'd guess the book hasn't been opened more than 50 times. I knew something was up when the lady called security over to lock it up.. but I had no idea. To be honest I had forgotten about it. I didn't even know who the sig was at first. I thought.. "damn.. some idiot ruined it". :lolhitting

So the site worked out....

Actually I opened this thread thinking it would be an Accounting question, which I would be much more equipped to thoughtfully answer!

But Congrats Steff on the SWEETTTTT find....I'll give you my high school copyy of "to kill a mockingbird" in exchange....i never liked that book. :ph34r: