Funniest Female Comedian

Texsox

Which female makes you laugh? I always enjoyed Jane Curtain, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be a lot of really funny females. Certainly none in the same category as John Belushi, Robin Williams, Ed Murphy, Richard Pryor, etc.

Which female makes you laugh? I always enjoyed Jane Curtain, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be a lot of really funny females. Certainly none in the same category as John Belushi, Robin Williams, Ed Murphy, Richard Pryor, etc.

I agree on jane curtain she is probally the best. The most overated is joan rivers, whenever i she her and/or hear her voice it makes me cringe.

Edit: Now that 3E8 mentions it laura kitlinger is pretty good also.

If I asked you for your top 5 would she be in it?  I also like Kathy Greenwood. I'm just wondering why more aren't at the top of the list? Roseanne had her moment.

I'm going with the non-PC answer that I don't find women comedians NEARLY as funny as male comedians. Maybe that's because I'm a guy. I can count on one hand the number of women comedians that have ever made me laugh. Don't have a misogynistic bone in my body, just calling it as I see it.

I'm going with the non-PC answer that I don't find women comedians NEARLY as funny as male comedians.  Maybe that's because I'm a guy.  I can count on one hand the number of women comedians that have ever made me laugh.  Don't have a misogynistic bone in my body, just calling it as I see it.

I think you are on to something there. Plus look at singers, all of the top selling artists have been men. Not that there aren't some great females singers, but the top selling artists are all men.

Actors usually over shadow actresses.

I wonder if it is a cultural thing. Does anyone know if there are societies where this is reversed?

That's because women don't have a sense of humor :ph34r:

/the obvious joke

Very few, if any. Remember the show "Suddenly Susan" with Brooke Shields? Remember the little spunky red head sidekick? Kathy Grifith or Griffin. Ive seen her stand up act and she's ok.

Brette Butler is the most hysterical female I've ever seen. Roseanne is a close second. Even if you don't like them you have to appreciate their jokes. And both of them write/wrote their own during their stand up days.

Butler, another good mention.

Steff, on your list of ten funniest comedians, how many are female?

Brette Butler is the most hysterical female I've ever seen. Roseanne is a close second. Even if you don't like them you have to appreciate their jokes. And both of them write/wrote their own during their stand up days.

Brett Butler was pretty good, and Roseanne was either hilarious, or just plain awful. I think Ellen Degeneres is funny, Jennifer Coolidge is a riot, though not a comedian per se.

Butler, another good mention.

Steff, on your list of ten funniest comedians, how many are female?

Hmm...

Including those 2...

That girl from SNL is on it also. I can't remember her name. The one that now has a semi movie gig. I think she's famous for saying "I'm a Supppa Star". She cracks me up.

Brett Butler was pretty good, and Roseanne was either hilarious, or just plain awful.  I think Ellen Degeneres is funny, Jennifer Coolidge is a riot, though not a comedian per se.

Ellen is funny.. but, IMO, she depends on the lesbian jokes too much. Her special on HBO did make me laugh.. but a lot of the punchlines were gay related and... well.. I simply couldn't relate. :huh

Ellen is funny.. but, IMO, she depends on the lesbian jokes too much. Her special on HBO did make me laugh.. but a lot of the punchlines were gay related and... well.. I simply couldn't relate.  :huh

Well, see, Ellen and I have much more in common, thus perhaps why I find her funnier than you do!

Margaret Cho is another one I thought of who is usually funny.