Dr. Theresa Heinz-Kerry-Love or how

sox4lifeinPA

Matthew 5

38"Here's another old saying that deserves a second look: "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.' 39Is that going to get us anywhere? Here's what I propose: "Don't hit back at all.' If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. 40If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it.

That's a pretty loose translation there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking out on the side of stay at home moms, teachers, and librarians, who THK said they didn't have real jobs...

it doesn't apply to me at all, don't quote scripture at me... :huh:

It was a b****y statement, but honestly I believe her when she says that she forgot LB was a teacher & librarian, I don't think she was saying that teaching is not a real job. Why? Just b/c noone in a political campaign, no matter how brain dead, would dare say that teaching is a non-job.

Although all their students do. "Those who can't do..."

That's a pretty loose translation there.

yeah, I wanted a better translation of "resist the evil doer" (sounds like something bushy would say)

That's from "the message" bible. I liked it's perspective. I think it misses a point, though. Turning the other cheek isn't something that someone can do when in a submissive role. If Rocky Balboa punched me on the right side of my face, if I turned my cheek it's really not saying a whole lot. The perspective I take is that Jesus, being God the son, took his death as the ultimate turning of the cheek. he was struck and struck again, and when he could have called down the wrath of God, he didn't. The point being that turning the other cheek is about submission when truly one could vanquish the guilty party....hence the evil doer part.

I don't think I'm in a position to really meet the requirements of this passage, but thanks for bringing it up, it's a great piece of scripture. I love Luke 13, personally.

It was a b****y statement, but honestly I believe her when she says that she forgot LB was a teacher & librarian, I don't think she was saying that teaching is not a real job.  Why?  Just b/c noone in a political campaign, no matter how brain dead, would dare say that teaching is a non-job.

Although all their students do.  "Those who can't do..."

Yeah, I know you're right, but not remembering a fact like that and being a snobby elitist wench are hand in hand on this one.

In the world religions class I took a few years back, we had a Hebrew scholar come in. He told us that the turn the other cheek passage had nothing to do with pacifism or allowing yourself to be beaten. To strike someone with a backhand (which is demeaning), you have to hit the person on their right cheek. If they turn the other cheek, you can't use the backhand anymore and any subsequent strike would be admitting you as an equal.