AFL Update #2

Chisoxfn

AFL 2004 Update #2

By Jason Gage

October 22, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Arizona Fall League is upon us and the Mesa Solar Sox, whose roster is made up of 6 Sox farm-hands, have played 13 games (6-7) thus far. Lets take a look at a closer look at how the Sox farm hands are doing:

Brian Anderson, OF – R/R – March 11, 1982

.206 AVG, .303 OBP, 6 R, 2 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 7 BB, 6 K, 1 SB (0 CS)

The good news is that Brian Anderson is playing. Anderson suffered from a hernia injury late in the 2004 season and is back getting at bats in the AFL. Anderson hasn’t put up great numbers thus far in the AFL, but is the White Sox top position prospect. The young outfielder has received glowing reviews from manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Ken Williams and will potentially get a shot to compete for a starting job this spring, although the odds are against him breaking camp as a starter. Anderson excelled in high A last year posting a .925 OPS with Winston Salem (High A) before being promoted to Birmingham (AA) where he hit .270 with 4 HR and 26 RBI’s while posting a .762 OPS in 48 games.

Pedro Lopez, 2B/SS – R/R – April 28, 1984

.318 AVG, .308 OBP, 2 R, 0 2B, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 0 SB

Lopez, 20, replaced shortstop Andy Gonzalez on the AFL roster. This was a wise decision considering Lopez is more advanced with the bat and was less likely to struggle in the AFL. Thus far Lopez is putting up solid offensive numbers, although as usual he has an atrocious OBP (.328 with the Warthogs last year; .379 OBP in 7 games with Bham). One of the big weaknesses has been the lack of walks. And if he ever wants to be a top of an order guy, he’s going to have to improve upon this, but he does have time. Defensively Lopez has soft hands, a good arm, and good range. Him, Gonzalez and Valido have all the tools to be plus defensive middle infielders. The question with all three of them is the bat, and at this point Lopez is the most advanced in that category.

Casey Rogowksi, 1B/OF – L/L – May 1, 1981

.409 AVG, .536 OBP, 4 R, 2 2B, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 6 BB, 2 K, 1 SB (1 CS)

Rogowski, 23, continues to rake the ball. He had an outstanding 2004 campaign with the Warthogs and has seen some development in the power aspect of the game (18 HR’s in 2004). Rogowski has a good eye and is able to work the counts (.401 OBP in 04, Career .380 OBP). He’s played 4 games in the OF and two at first base. Up until late last season Rogowski had only been thought of as a first baseman, but that appears to of changed and Rogowski could find himself in the Barons outfield next year, along with Ryan Sweeney. Rogowski runs well for a big man and uses all parts of the field.

Jeff Bajenaru, Reliever – R/R – March 21, 1978

0-1, 10.80 ERA, 5.0 INN, 7 H, 6 R, 5 K, 1 BB

Bajenaru has been mired in a mini slump ever since being called up to the big leagues. Baj pitched better then his numbers would indicate at the major league level, but is struggling again in the fall league. Baj should get a shot to compete in training camp for a position with the Sox, but with Politte signing a new contract, Takatsu’s option being picked up, and the persistent reports of the Sox looking to sign another set up man, the margin of error will be small as Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Jon Adkins and him all compete for what could be the only open bullpen spot come spring training. Baj has a good fastball and slider (“slutter”) and does a nice job mixing his pitches. He had a tremendous season with Birmingham (1.34 ERA, .89 WHIP, 13.63 K/9) and Charlotte (1.80 ERA, .75 WHIP, 7.20 K/9) and is a favorite of FutureSox.com.

Matt Smith, Reliever – RHP – August 14, 1978

1-0, 0.00 ERA, 8.1 INN, 11 H, 0 R, 4 K, 3 BB

Smith has been sharp in Arizona, although his peripherals aren’t that great. Averaging about 4.5 strikeouts per 9 while giving up over a hit per inning pitch isn’t the way you succeed at the majors, but he’s got the job done thus far. Smith had a very strong campaign for the Barons (3-4, 13 SV, 70 G, 1.83 ERA, 1.07 WHIP). He was the setup man for Bajenaru and then stepped into the closers spot when Bajenaru was promoted to Charlotte. Smith is a guy that’s way off the radar, but could find himself on the roster next September as a call-up.

Dennis Ulacia, Starter – LHP – April 2, 1981

0-0, 6.10 ERA, 10.1 INN, 13 H, 9 R (7 ER), 8 K, 5 BB

Ulacia is what you would consider a fringe prospect, but with Brandon McCarthy removed from the fall league roster Ulacia was given the opportunity to be a starter. He hasn’t pitched extremely well, but did have a solid season for Bham (8-8, 3.77 ERA, 28 G, 23 GS, 7.47 K/9) and Charlotte (1.42 ERA in 1 start). He can pitch out of both the pen and rotation. He doesn’t project to be a major league starter, but has a shot at making it with some team out of the pen.

Good article Jason, but I have a question. Why would they move Rogowski to OF? We already have a plethora of OF'ers and not much at the 1B position. I think Casey has the skills to be a plus defensive 1B also, I just don't see why they would change that.

Damn it palehose I already asked this question in pale hose talk, don't you pay attention, yeesh, stupid unc fans. :headshake :P

Good article Jason, but I have a question. Why would they move Rogowski to OF? We already have a plethora of OF'ers and not much at the 1B position. I think Casey has the skills to be a plus defensive 1B also, I just don't see why they would change that.

I totally agree with you about the OF... I think he has always played 1B in the

minors if I am not mistaken. It seems he will move up to AA Birmingham next

year and they need a productive first baseman both offensively and defensively.

It is good to see him playing well in Arizona.

C

I totally agree with you about the OF...  I think he has always played 1B in the

minors if I am not mistaken.  It seems he will move up to AA Birmingham next

year and they need a productive first baseman both offensively and defensively.

It is good to see him playing well in Arizona.

C

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers