Daily Southtown Article

CWSOX45

Does anyone else think Ozzie's takes on his pitchers from 04' are all right-on. He nailed each and every one of them. That makes me excited in and of itself, because I think Ozzie is a lot more together than we all think. He was a first year manager, he made some first year mistakes, yet, I think he will come back a better manager and more prepared for this season.

Now, the Johnson thing. I don't know about you all, but I never thought we were going to get Freddy. We were "talked about," but no one in the media thought we were gonna snag him...the media thought he was halfway in New York pinstripes by the time they announced the Olivo/Reed deal. I think KW will try to put something together, the best he can...but, the Yankees, and probably some other teams will be doing the same. The only thing that makes me think the Sox are NOT the right fit is that the Diamondbacks said they want a catcher out of the deal. The Sox can't give them that at this point in time. Look for a Milton type, or Ortiz ( :puke ) for next year. Some player who is "known" around the league, but JR won't have to pay a boat-load for.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From espn insider...

Randy Johnson

Diamondbacks

White Sox

Yankees

Oct. 24 - Starting pitching is the No. 1 priority of the White Sox this offseason. GM Ken Williams wants to add a solid front-line starter to the rotation, and according to the Daily Southtown, the Big Unit tops the wish list. Once the Hot Stove season begins, Williams will talk to Arizona about acquiring left-handed ace Randy Johnson for next season.

Johnson -- who has one more year on his current deal ($16.5 million in 2005) -- has the right to veto a trade. If he opts to stay put in Arizona or go somewhere other than the South Side, Williams will turn his attention toward free agency. The list of free-agent starting pitchers includes Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano, Odalis Perez, Eric Milton, Wilson Alvarez, Russ Ortiz and Derek Lowe.

From espn insider...

Randy Johnson

Diamondbacks

White Sox

Yankees 

Oct. 24 - Starting pitching is the No. 1 priority of the White Sox this offseason. GM Ken Williams wants to add a solid front-line starter to the rotation, and according to the Daily Southtown, the Big Unit tops the wish list. Once the Hot Stove season begins, Williams will talk to Arizona about acquiring left-handed ace Randy Johnson for next season.

Johnson -- who has one more year on his current deal ($16.5 million in 2005) -- has the right to veto a trade. If he opts to stay put in Arizona or go somewhere other than the South Side, Williams will turn his attention toward free agency. The list of free-agent starting pitchers includes Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano, Odalis Perez, Eric Milton, Wilson Alvarez, Russ Ortiz and Derek Lowe.

hey, do you think you could pm me your username and password for insider???

We beat them out by getting Garcia. I have no doubt in my mind we can do the same for Randy even though I'm really sure we'll trade more than we have to.

Garcia came to the White Sox and signed a $9 million per deal because of Ozzie and the new ties to the Guillen family. The fact that he signed a deal during the '04 season before testing the market is proof enough.

No. He didn't just say "Oh trade me to the sox for a bag of balls please." We were in the heat of a race, and we needed a top of the line starter. KW traded talent to get talent.

The Mariners weren't just going to give him away :rolly . And that still doesn't negate my assertion.

We do know that Lee and Garland would almost have to be part of the trade. Guillen has suggested his growing frustration with Garland, and it has basically been said by the organization that Lee is tradeable. I've always felt that Lee was a more valuable piece to the puzzle then Konerko, and that Konerko should be the one to go.

But do you think Zona would take a Garland and Konerko plus prospects for Johnson trade? To me, Garland and Lee looks much better.

We do know that Lee and Garland would almost have to be part of the trade.  Guillen has suggested his growing frustration with Garland, and it has basically been said by the organization that Lee is tradeable.  I've always felt that Lee was a more valuable piece to the puzzle then Konerko, and that Konerko should be the one to go.

But do you think Zona would take a Garland and Konerko plus prospects for Johnson trade?  To me, Garland and Lee looks much better.

I think that's an over estimation of what it would if take IMO. And if it did take Lee, Garland, and prospect, we would probably get more in return than Johnson.

At the deadline, AZ said just to START a deal, Rowand and Garland would have to be in the deal, no questions asked. That price would come down a little, based on just 1 more year for RJ, and it was in the heat of the deadline. But I think you UNDERestimate what RJ would command.

If he commanded anything more than garland id be shocked.

He is getting paid 16 million!!!!

That is probly what he would be paid if he was in free agency........Meaning we shouldnt have to give up much for paying for FACE VALUE!

Remember, you have to sell season tickets in Arizona. I think to give up Johnson, they'd want Lee or Konerko (assuming they can't resign Sexson). I don't like trading Garland because then we still need another starter. If we can give up Lee/Konerko and then top prospects I would do it in a heartbeat.

So your saying you think AZ would do a Garland-Randy Johnson trade stright up??

1951d_quarter_dollar_obv.jpg

There is a quarter, buy a clue.

Yes, if u have any idea how salaries work in mlb.

Johnson would be getting paid around 16 million if he were a free agent.

He is getting paid 16 million, meaning he is worth what he is getting paid. also meaning that if we gave up practically anything, dbacks would be getting a good deal.

He is getting paid 16 million, meaning he is worth what he is getting paid.  also meaning that if we gave up practically anything, dbacks would be getting a good deal.

This is seriously the dumbest post I have ever read. According to you:

Trade value =(Player's value - Player's salary)

:headshake

That is the dumbest argument I've ever heard.

I mean seriously....

At the deadline, AZ said just to START a deal, Rowand and Garland would have to be in the deal, no questions asked. That price would come down a little, based on just 1 more year for RJ, and it was in the heat of the deadline. But I think you UNDERestimate what RJ would command.

Let me rephrase then. The Sox won't trade Lee, Garland, and prospects for RJ.

He is getting paid 16 million, meaning he is worth what he is getting paid.  also meaning that if we gave up practically anything, dbacks would be getting a good deal.

You think anything is stopping New York from trading Jorge Posada, Javier Vazquez, about 3 prospects, and $10 mill in cash to New York for Randy?

His salary means nothing. We have to outbid the Yankees to get him. That's not gonna be easy.

Garland and Lee/Konerko could potentially be a package that gets the deal done(or atleast gets a deal very close to being done), and after that you go about fixing your holes some how, some way.