Daily Southtown Article

CWSOX45

Well if LA wants to sign Beltre, I don't think they'll be able to sign Sexson or Delgado to a long term deal.  I thought Delgado was going back to Toronto, but his best friend is Shawn Green, so I don't know. 

I was assuming that the D'Backs would sign Sexson, so we couldn't trade them Paulie.

If they sign beltre they are gonna get royally screwed i feel. If i was them i would go with a more sure thing, such as delgado or sexon.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if LA wants to sign Beltre, I don't think they'll be able to sign Sexson or Delgado to a long term deal.  I thought Delgado was going back to Toronto, but his best friend is Shawn Green, so I don't know. 

I was assuming that the D'Backs would sign Sexson, so we couldn't trade them Paulie.

Delgado ain't goin back to Toronto, that's a sure thing. Ownership is cutting payroll and J.P Riccardi will go after pitching. Delgado's probably headed to Baltimore, Seattle or Los Angeles.

Found this about RJ from the Newark Stark Ledger.

The Chicago White Sox this week expressed some interest in Johnson, but it's believed they can't afford him and would only be acquiring him in order to deal him elsewhere.

Someone on the MLB board brought up the idea of a three way trade.  What if Paulie is shipped to LA for a package of prospects including either Greg Miller or Edwin Jackson, and those guys are sent with a couple of Sox prospects to Arizona for RJ?  I think LA wouldn't mind seeing RJ leave the NL West.

If the Sox could trade for Miller and Jackson, I'd rather they just kept them. That's two excellent pitching prospects under their control for years (fewer in Jackon's case, but still). I know poeple want to win now (I do, too). But unless the Sox raise payroll considerably, they won't be able to do much else if they get RJ. And I think RJ alone (along with the subtraction of whatever talent they give up for him) will not put the Sox over the top next season. I don't think it even necessarily makes them better than the Twins. And either of Miller and Jackson could contribute at the major league level next year. Anyway, it likely doesn't matter since I don't think LA makes that trade.

3 way deal with the Yankees?  It would make sense.  We could get a Vazquez or Brown out of the deal.

If they do that, they better get a decent amount of money to pay off a portion of either Brown or Vazquez's contracts (both are big). In the Loaiza trade, the Yankees didn't pay nearly enough of Contreras's contract. IIRC NY shelled out something like 2 million a year for the next 2 years, with Sox taking 6 million a year. NY has money to burn, and I think Williams really should have held out for more.

If they do that, they better get a decent amount of money to pay off a portion of either Brown or Vazquez's contracts (both are big). In the Loaiza trade, the Yankees didn't pay nearly enough of Contreras's contract.  IIRC NY shelled out something like 2 million a year for the next 2 years, with Sox taking 6 million a year. NY has money to burn, and I think Williams really should have held out for more.

I think Kenny just wanted to dump Loaiza More then anything else and might have been shocked that somebody even wanted his ass. Couple that with the fact that the Sox think they can fix Contreas and your see why he made the trade even with the yankthese only paying 2 million a year of his contract. I really think that Contreas will be very good this coming season for us I just have a good feeling about this trade that it will work out well for us.

Found this about RJ from the Newark Stark Ledger.

That would be insane if KW did that. He would have to be getting a f***ing ton for RJ, or he'd have to trade him to a different NL team. If he traded him to an AL team, he should be fired immediately, unless he does indeed get a f***ing ton for RJ.

Why would you trade RJ to an AL team when that is the league you have to get through to get to the World Series?

Personally...I consider the source of the tidbit. Theya re expressing what they heard, but are putting a Yankee spin on the whole issue. "It is believed" leads me to believe that they don't know this for certain. They can't say that they will be trading him, because that would be a false story. The only fact they have in there is that the Sox expressed interest in RJ.

I'd put it more along these lines. The Sox take on Javier or Brown. Brown makes a s***load more sense since he doesn't have a mega long term deal attached to him.

The Yanks pay pretty most of Browns salary and the White Sox send one player of interest the Yanks way (This player of course would be destined to Arizona). That or they'd give up like two guys, one position prospect and a guy like Felix Diaz or what not. I don't know how it would work, but thats the way I would see it happening.

Yanks get their guy, Sox get an ace without giving up too much of a ransom, plus his contract is basically paid.

Kenny and Cashman have a good working relationship. I think you could see these deal working out a little farther potentially, with the Sox maybe getting a reliever in return. Although the Yanks probably woudln't want to give up any of their good relievers.

I don't have much interest in Niavorro or however its spelled.

I wouldn't give up much for him, but we don't have many catching prospects. Lucy is the only one that comes to mind. Just looking at Navarro's stats, he draws walks and doesn't strike out very often. He doesn't look like a star, but I don't see why he couldn't be a good major leaguer. Not a big deal either way, but I wonder why you wouldn't want him as part of a package.

I wouldn't give up much for him, but we don't have many catching prospects.  Lucy is the only one that comes to mind.  Just looking at Navarro's stats, he draws walks and doesn't strike out very often.  He doesn't look like a star, but I don't see why he couldn't be a good major leaguer.  Not a big deal either way, but I wonder why you wouldn't want him as part of a package.

Because I don't think the Sox are going to acquire RJ and then ship him across. I think it would be a 3 way deal if it went down.

Plus I think Niavarro is yet another overhyped prospect in the Yanks system.

2 words. Fransisco Hernandez.

Yup. Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't looked at these stats.

But it is a little worrisome that our 2 best prospects were only in Rookie leagues this season.

I'm not saying that the RJ trade would work this way, I think that's pure fantasy. I just meant, he's not a bad fit if he is available and didn't require any big sacrifice. As for being overhyped, I don't know -- I've heard so many times that the Yankees were overselling him, that my first impression was that the guy must be really marginal. I mean, I never heard anywhere, "Navarro's a really good prospect." I only heard "Navarro's not a really good prospect, but the Yankees want everyone to think he is." My impression from his stats is that he's middle-of-the-road, overhyped by the Yankees, no doubt, but perhaps underhyped by sportswriters.