Another Possible SP Target

beck72

Tim Hudson. This morning's NY Post wrote that if the A's can't sign Hudson to a long term contract, who can become a FA after 2005, they'll try to trade him instead of letting him walk like Tejada and Giambi.

My guess is the A's will want to go into the reg. season with their pieces in place. If talks break down, he could likely be dealt. One thing is, the A's will need a big RH bat to replace Dye anyway, no matter what they do about their pitchers. Carlos Lee might look nice for them in LF and batting 3rd in front of Chavez, with Byrnes and rookie Swisher platooning in RF.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/31091.htm

In looking at Hudson, he fits in with much of what Sox fans would be looking for out of a SP, esp one who pitches in the Cell: low HR's allowed, only 8 in 188 2/3 IP; a GB pitcher, 2.53 g/f ratio; goes deep into games--20 times went 7 + innings in 27 starts; a low BB rate, 2.10 / 9 IP. The only thing against Hudson is he's not a strikeout pithcer, only 4.91 / 9 IP.

People will say, he's not available. Yet it's not likely he'll be signed to a big long term contract. The A's have Harden and Blanton who are hard throwing RHP's. Harden should make the move past Hudson in 2005. If the Sox can't get Randy Johnson, a move for Hudson might be the 2nd best SP option.

No doubt the Yankees will try to acquire Hudson if they can't get RJ. Out of the big 3, Hudson's probably been the most consistent, although I think more people may probably want Mulder. The A's wouldn't mind acquiring Lee, and possibly Willie Harris as they have a hole at 2B. Ross Gload could appeal to them as well, if they could ship out Durazo for some relief pitching if they lose Bradford.

No doubt the Yankees will try to acquire Hudson if they can't get RJ. Out of the big 3, Hudson's probably been the most consistent, although I think more people may probably want Mulder. The A's wouldn't mind acquiring Lee, and possibly Willie Harris as they have a hole at 2B. Ross Gload could appeal to them as well, if they could ship out Durazo for some relief pitching if they lose Bradford.

The key w/ the Yanks though, is they can only sign FA's. They have no one on their roster to trade [most make too much money for another team to take on, or is overpriced], and they have a poor farm system.

The A's need a big bat, someone who can hit for avg. and power. They won't sign a FA, too much money locked up for a long time. The only way to get a proven bat is via trade. Lee may fit for them. He's tied up for a few years, can hit 3rd. The A's have enough LH hitters in Chavez, Durazo, Kotsay, Hatteberg, the rookie Swisher. Though Lee's making a lot of money, the A's could make the sox take a guy like Arthur Rhodes [$3 mill a yr for 2 yrs] to even things out.

The key w/ the Yanks though, is they can only sign FA's. They have no one on their roster to trade [most make too much money for another team to take on, or is overpriced], and they have a poor farm system.

The A's need a big bat, someone who can hit for avg. and power. They won't sign a FA, too much money locked up for a long time. The only way to get a proven bat is via trade. Lee may fit for them. He's tied up for a few years, can hit 3rd. The A's have enough LH hitters in Chavez, Durazo, Kotsay, Hatteberg, the rookie Swisher. Though Lee's making a lot of money, the A's could make the sox take a guy like Arthur Rhodes [$3 mill a yr for 2 yrs] to even things out.

I don't see the A's wanting to lose Rhodes. Granted he sucked as a closer this season, but if they lose Bradford, they'll need help in the bullpen. Rhodes can setup for Dotel anyways, and that's when he's pitched his best, setting up. Lee would definitely fit for them though, but we'll need more to get Hudson. I'm thinking Cotts and Harris added to the deal AT LEAST.

I don't see the A's wanting to lose Rhodes. Granted he sucked as a closer this season, but if they lose Bradford, they'll need help in the bullpen. Rhodes can setup for Dotel anyways, and that's when he's pitched his best, setting up. Lee would definitely fit for them though, but we'll need more to get Hudson. I'm thinking Cotts and Harris added to the deal AT LEAST.

The A's aren't the type of team to pay their set up man $3 mill a yr. Even if he's a lefty. They paid him closer's money and he's not a closer. their were other reports that the a's were trying to move both Rhodes and Redman.

Yet looking at Hudson, the A's trading him makes a lot of sense. He's a FA after '05, while Zito and Mulder both have options in 2006, $8.25 mill and $7.5 mill respectively. The A's have hard throwers in Harden and Blanton, two young cheap SP's. Hudson is more of a GB pitcher [a 2.53 G/F rate this year, with a K/ 9 rate of 4.91 this year-was 6.08 in '03.] They likely won't sign Hudson to a long term deal, unless they can get him cheap [which isn't likely]. He'll make $6 mill in 2005,a nd would likely get much more as a FA in 2006. I can't see the A's paying him much more than the $6 mill now, unless a ton of cash is deferred. Plus, why sign a long term deal to a SP when they have so many already locked in, with ready young replacements.

But Hudson won't come cheap. An offer starting w/ Lee makes sense, a proven hitter for avg, and power. the A's have two young guys in Crosby and rookie OF Nick Swisher, uncertainty at C, for 2005, and need a consistent, proven bat along with an improved bullpen.

Also, I think Bradford is ARB eligible, not a FA. I read this in a CA paper. [bTW, the A's won't go for Cotts-- Beane won't trade back for a guy he traded away.] Harris could be added, then Uribe would have a starting spot.

I'd absolutely love Huddy, a trade based around Lee and Hudson actually sounds like it could maybe work.  So many options, I can't wait for the offseason to start.

I agree. Hudson is the type of competitor the Sox need. But he may not fit in with the A's

Some would argue that zito is because he is lefty and younger. But i am not one of them i agree with you.

I think after the last 2 season Zito's had, you wouldn't say he's the better out of the 3 at all. Plus we have our own version of Barry Zito in the minors, Giovani Gonzalez. :D :headbang

What was wrong with him last year?

He went 14-12 in 2003 with a 3.30 ERA, which is still very good but it was a dropoff from his Cy Young year of 23-5 with a 2.75 ERA. This year was even worse, 11-11 with a 4.48 ERA. Call it the Rick Peterson effect. ;)

He went 14-12 in 2003 with a 3.30 ERA, which is still very good but it was a dropoff from his Cy Young year of 23-5 with a 2.75 ERA. This year was even worse, 11-11 with a 4.48 ERA. Call it the Rick Peterson effect.  ;)

Now i get what you are saying.

I would honestly not even want him. Him being a major flyball pitcher would not fair well here.