Paul Konerko

DBAHO

Konerko gets peers' praise

The Sporting News' awards are based on the votes of 552 major-leaguers

Comeback players of the year

White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko's rebound from a .234 average with 18 home runs and 65 RBIs in 2003 to .277, 41 and 117 in 2004 won him the AL honor.

Kudos to all on SoxTalk that didn't badmouth Kong like on another White Sox board because his name isn't Pauly Thomas. Tools over there.

I knew 2003 was one of those "career years" on the negative side for Paulie. This year may been his positive career year, but I don't think so. I don't think he has topped out yet.

I knew 2003 was one of those "career years" on the negative side for Paulie.  This year may been his positive career year, but I don't think so.  I don't think he has topped out yet.

Unless if he stays here or goes to another really good hitters park this may just be the best we see from him.

I knew 2003 was one of those "career years" on the negative side for Paulie.  This year may been his positive career year, but I don't think so.  I don't think he has topped out yet.

This wasn't a career year, in fact, this year was really no different from 2001 or 2002. He hit more homers this year in large part due to the upper deck being changed up. Here's the numbers

2001 - 67 2B + HR

2002 - 57 2B + HR

2004 - 63 2B + HR

And, fwiw, he hit 32, 27, and 41 homers respectively in those years.

I am thinking that he would have hit 40-45 homers in 02 had the roof been like it is now back then, and I'm thinking he probably would have hit somehwere in the neighborhood of 30-35 homers this year had the roof not been cut open.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before...I'm just re-iterating it.

Not saying it's a bad thing...in fact, it's pretty much a good thing. Just pointing out that his numbers are a little misleading.

This wasn't a career year, in fact, this year was really no different from 2001 or 2002.  He hit more homers this year in large part due to the upper deck being changed up.  Here's the numbers

2001 - 67 2B + HR

2002 - 57 2B + HR

2004 - 63 2B + HR

And, fwiw, he hit 32, 27, and 41 homers respectively in those years.

I am thinking that he would have hit 40-45 homers in 02 had the roof been like it is now back then, and I'm thinking he probably would have hit somehwere in the neighborhood of 30-35 homers this year had the roof not been cut open.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before...I'm just re-iterating it.

Not saying it's a bad thing...in fact, it's pretty much a good thing.  Just pointing out that his numbers are a little misleading.

The one important stat that you're missing...

One SB in 2004 -- and it came on, not a passed ball, not a wild pitch, but PK getting a nice jump. Ah - those were the days, back in April. That was awesome, when he stole second against KC.

Congrats Paully! :headbang :cheers