GOP Criticial of Student Vote Campaign

jasonxctf

GOP Criticizes Student Vote Campaign

MILWAUKEE - Republicans are criticizing a Wisconsin get-out-the-vote campaign involving public school students, saying Democrats are exploiting the students for political gain.

Young people in the program organized by the Wisconsin Citizen Action Fund take time from regular classes to go door to door in minority neighborhoods and areas with historically low voter turnout, urging people to cast ballots.

The students, ranging in age from 11 to 18, also use phone banks to call homes and urge people to vote.

Chris Lato, spokesman for the state Republican Party, called the program "a disgraceful use of taxpayer money."

"To spend this time on a clearly partisan effort when these kids should be in school learning is shocking," Lato said.

Larry Marx, co-executive director of Wisconsin Citizen Action, denied there is any partisanship to the effort, despite the fact the advocacy group supports Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites).

The children do not wear any partisan buttons or clothing, and they do not encourage people to vote one way or another. Participation is voluntary, and parents are required to give their approval, he said.

Roseann St. Aubin, spokeswoman for Milwaukee Public Schools, said the administration approved of the program as long as it was not partisan and the curriculum met state standards for teaching.

in my opinion... this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to get involved in the process. My guess is that these kids from Milwaukee are going door to door in Milwaukee. Where do you want them to go? Green Bay?

It's very similar to the "Mandatory Volunteering" (how's that for irony) that my High School made us do in order to graduate.

in my opinion... this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to get involved in the process. My guess is that these kids from Milwaukee are going door to door in Milwaukee. Where do you want them to go? Green Bay?

It's very similar to the "Mandatory Volunteering" (how's that for irony) that my High School made us do in order to graduate.

Once in a lifetime? Can you only go door to door if you're under 18? I think they'll have plenty of oppurtunity to do this again. I just think it smells too.

Mandatory Volunteering? Ha! That's funny. :lolhitting

"Larry Marx, co-executive director of Wisconsin Citizen Action, denied there is any partisanship to the effort, despite the fact the advocacy group supports Democratic Sen. John Kerry"

Credibility last seen flying out of the window.

I don't care either way, but really, who do you think voting advocacy groups are going after? Old people? Middle-aged taxpayers?

I think not.

I'd be afraid of an eleven-year old campaigning against me.

It would be helpful to know who picks the neighborhoods. I would have a hard time believing that the 6-graders were being bused out of their areas.

In this election, about half of Americans will bother to vote. In a non-Presidential race, the numbers really plummet.

I would encourage all efforts to bring kids into the process when they are young. Create a desire to vote. It's a disgrace that we have American's dying in Iraq to give Iraqi's the freedom to vote, and almost half our population is too damn lazy to be bothered.

Both parties have get out the vote programs. I was asked by the local GOP if I would volunteer last week to drive people to the polls. (Texas has early voting). I also had a local campaign volunteer offer to help me with an absentee ballot. I guess the Bush yard sign is a magnet.

My problem with some of these youth voter registration rallies and let me first say I've seen plenty of them on campus, in fact I stopped by one a couple weeks back when the registration deadline was close coming (I was already registered but was interested in hearing what they were saying).

Basically, at least the people I saw doing them, they were absolutely slamming Bush and saying how Kerry is gonna create this bright future. I know the other side probably does the same thing, although to be honest, on my campus I rarely see much anything republican (and i live in a notoriously Republican Region...OC is one of the highest republican areas around).

I just find it bulls*** that when people are registering to vote you have the people doing this registration rallies spewing their beliefs. Just say, have you registered to vote because voting makes a difference. After you register you'll get a ballot with the issues and I advice you to read through the issues and if you got a little more time, check out the candidates websites.

Or at least have an equal number of republicans to democrats doing these things. For example, if the school is holding some type of voter rally thing and you have this going on, make sure that you have an equal number of stuff. Of course this will never happen, I just think its bulls*** and so many people will believe everything they hear.

I had on jackass telling our class when we were debating politics that the rich pay less then the poor in taxes. When he said this you heard all these people thinking wow, the rich need to get taxed more. Of course I calmy said thats absolutely absurd and I think everyone will agree on that.

But all I'm saying is people my age are incredibly impressionable and its bulls*** that they have to be warped to stuff they can't tune out. Your in class and your teacher decides to go on a tyrade, it should be freaking mandatory that if someone else in the class wants to say something to disprove the teacher that they can.

In my history classes specifically we'd always have the teacher go off on why this policy is s*** and that policy is s***. I don't mind his opinion, but clearly state this is my opinion and leave it OPEN for discussion.

A couple of my buddies are going to be teachers and my word of advice was, if your going to talk politics, you got to leave everything open for discussion and if your teaching a poly sci class and your a dem or repub, then get a colleague or friend or other person whose the other side and have them discuss some things as well, so they get both sides.

I know at my high school we had some politicians (local councilmen and stuff) come in and we'd get to talk to both candidates and hear stuff from both sides. Thta was nice, of cousre you can't have that happen with a big election like this, but I'd just do what I could in places where you can't tune otherwise (for example, on tv, you have the option of changing the channel, in class you can't really just get up and leave).

Anyway, end rant :)

Basically, at least the people I saw doing them, they were absolutely slamming Bush and saying how Kerry is gonna create this bright future.  I know the other side probably does the same thing, although to be honest, on my campus I rarely see much anything republican (and i live in a notoriously Republican Region...OC is one of the highest republican areas around).

If the school told the GOP they couldn't register anyone unless a DEM group also agreed, would that be better?

The parties sponsor almost all the voter registration drives. As long as a school gives equal access, I don't see a problem. Pan-Am has a very vocal, active Young Republicans club and no Democratic Organization. I would not be in favor of kicking them off campus until a Dem group forms.

If the parties had no incentive to register people, they wouldn't do it.

A bigger problem is the early voting and absentee voting. As I mentioned in another thread, the local GOP campaign came to my door and offered to help me with an absentee ballot, then offered a ride to the polls when I said I would vote on election day. SHould we require a DEM and a GOPer travel with any get to the polls campaign?

There is nothing wrong with having the students get involved.

You can tell the republicans are desperate to escape the lies of Bush when they are diverting the attention to a bunch of kids how are getting involved and excited about the voting process.

No, its only wrong when at voter registration sign ups, your telling the people which candidate to vote for. Thats where I have my problem and I'd have that problem if a democrat said it or a republican said it.

No, its only wrong when at voter registration sign ups, your telling the people which candidate to vote for.  Thats where I have my problem and I'd have that problem if a democrat said it or a republican said it.

Maybe it's just me but where exactly does it say they plan to tell people who to vote for?

Maybe it's just me but where exactly does it say they plan to tell people who to vote for?

Larry Marx, co-executive director of Wisconsin Citizen Action, denied there is any partisanship to the effort, despite the fact the advocacy group supports Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites).
:ph34r:

But I am sure they are fair and balanced

No, its only wrong when at voter registration sign ups, your telling the people which candidate to vote for.  Thats where I have my problem and I'd have that problem if a democrat said it or a republican said it.

So the campaigns shouldn't have voter registration drives? Would you also think it is wrong for individuals to urge their friends to register and vote a certain way? Is the problem only when it involves organizations and strangers?

People can receive rides to the poll, one group in Iraq is making certain the GIs get their absentee ballots in on time, that is a Republican led effort, is that wrong. That is more than just registering, that's actually getting the ballots.

So the campaigns shouldn't have voter registration drives? Would you also think it is wrong for individuals to urge their friends to register and vote a certain way? Is the problem only when it involves organizations and strangers?

People can receive rides to the poll, one group in Iraq is making certain the GIs get their absentee ballots in on time, that is a Republican led effort, is that wrong. That is more than just registering, that's actually getting the ballots.

No, I never said that. I don't give a s*** if they try to register voters, but they should put the pressures of who they vote for.

I'm all for people registering to vote. I've been saying the whole time, if your a republican don't tell them vote for Bush, tell them to get educated and that a couple weeks before the election (obviously you wouldn't tell them this part now) that you'll get a pamphlet with info on it and then check out the website of the candidates if you got a little more time.

I don't give a damn if its a dem or republican registering, I have a problem when they spew their personal opinion on people trying to register. I'm just saying leave the opinion elsewhere.

Well it's not like you have to work to hard to convince a low income neighborhood to vote for a democrat in the first place. I don't see anything wrong with encouraging them to get out of the polls.

Yeah, because the Democrats that are usually in control in these urban areas have been so good to them. :rolly