What color was Jesus?

southsider2k5

As light-hearted evidence that Jesus was black, it adds that he "called everybody 'brother', liked Gospel, and couldn't get a fair trial".
:bang :bang

Seriously, while I will always love the classical Renaisance and Byzantine depictions of "EuroChrist," it has always been hard to swallow that image as being anything close to the historical reality.

:bang  :bang

Seriously, while I will always love the classical Renaisance and Byzantine depictions of "EuroChrist," it has always been hard to swallow that image as being anything close to the historical reality.

Oh man, I missed that! I think I pissed my pants! :lolhitting :lolhitting

I wish I remembered the exact scripture, but somewhere in the bible I believe there is a description of Christ. It states something about his skin being brown and his hair is compared to lambs wool. Doesn't sound like a blond straight haired, blue eyed guy to me.

As a side note, not all people of Middle Eastern decent are brown skinned and dark eyed. I dated a woman who was Lebanese, she was pale skinned and had blond hair and eye green eyes, so did most of her family.

Guest hawaiisoxfn

When I think of Jesus, I picture the Aryan Catholic image, unfortunately. But no one in the Mid East actually looks like that. I guarantee he looked somewhat like the image on the right. Palestinian Jew. Very dark skin and very dark hair. Although its my mental image, the blond haired blue eyes thing is joke.

There is also no doubt as to the historical existence of Jesus the man.  His existence and his mortal demise are corobborated in non-Biblical historical writings.  It is the divine attributes (and the long hair and blue eyes) of the man that will remain in question.

There is? In what? I never heard this before.

A Roman historian recorded most of the history surrounding the life of Christ and his followers.  His name escapes me now...

Tacitus is the one most octen cited. Pliny the Younger and somebody else I forget also write of Jesus and early Christians.

The truth - a truth that I sometimes forget due to Catholic indoctrination I have not entirely shed - is that even these writers penned ttheir histories six or more decades after the fact. So, yes, technically there actually are no surviving contemporaneous historical texts documenting a life and death of Jesus - no historical eye-witness accounts and only scriptural accounts.

The truth - a truth that I sometimes forget due to Catholic indoctrination I have not entirely shed - is that even these writers penned ttheir histories six or more decades after the fact.  So, yes, technically there actually are no surviving contemporaneous historical texts documenting a life and death of Jesus - no historical eye-witness accounts and only scriptural accounts.

OK, that's more along the lines of what I had read about.

No surviving Pontius Pilate blogs, eh? :P

Tacitus is the one most octen cited.  Pliny the Younger and somebody else I forget also write of Jesus and early Christians.

The truth - a truth that I sometimes forget due to Catholic indoctrination I have not entirely shed - is that even these writers penned ttheir histories six or more decades after the fact.  So, yes, technically there actually are no surviving contemporaneous historical texts documenting a life and death of Jesus - no historical eye-witness accounts and only scriptural accounts.

I believe there's a guy named Josephus (also going to be my first born's name regardless of sex :lol: ) who did more or less an obituary on Jesus, IIRC.

Jeez, and I was thinking his skin color was... wait, I never cared.

Such a great point. Does it really matter what color he, or Muhammad, or Abraham or Buddha or Plato or any great thinker was? Would their contribution be any less if there were one color instead of another?