Cardboard boats

Heads22

I'm a bit nervous about this.....for physics we launch our cardboard boats tomorrow....

Our dimensions are as such.....

73 inches long x 52 inches wide x 18 inches tall for the body

and a nose that is 23 inches long on top and the bottom is 26 sloped up to create an 8 inch gap that is filled in on either side back to the boat.

Anybody have past experience with cardboard boats? I know the key is to displace a ton of waterbut my main concerns are us sitting too low in the water (I weigh roughly 125 but my partner weighs roughly 235), the cardboard soakinng up water like a sponge and the rigidity and stableness of the bottom and sides. We need to make it across (the long way) a regulation pool and back for full credit....

needs a better name. like Titanic II

Rosemary, that's for remembrance.

Anyway, good luck with that--I've done a few cardboard boat races--and was usually most successful when the littlest person did the navigation and stuff. Good luck!

ChiSoxy....does our design look like it will work?

To be honest, I was never great at designing them. But I think that the nose you've put on it is good--and it seems like a pretty good design. Too bad you have such a mismatch of weight though--that might cause some problems. But it looks as good as anything my teams have put in water. :) So, good luck with it!

We got second place in the class of 5. We made it 3.5 lengths of the pool while the winners went 4. The next two both went 1 and last place never made it get going. Our biig problem was our boat creased across the middle, so the front was way up in the air. Water didn't start leaking in til the start of the 3rd length. My plastic paddle also snapped.

We got second place in the class of 5. We made it 3.5 lengths of the pool while the winners went 4. The next two both went 1 and last place never made it get going. Our biig problem was our boat creased across the middle, so the front was way up in the air. Water didn't start leaking in til the start of the 3rd length. My plastic paddle also snapped.

so what in your design would have been better to correct for this?