Steve Stone Resigns!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resigned. not re-sign.  :D

HE GONE!!!

ASS, it's breaking news, he was just on 720 all upset.  You're probably think of Caray.

I take that back...

I could have swore to God he RE-signed earlier. This is breaking news...my bad...and NO I wasn't thinking of Chip, what kind of goof do you take me for?

While I'm not exactly a Cub fan, I've always liked Stoney.  I think he's a great color guy... him and Hawk would be awesome... :)

But, I get the feeling he's gonna end up somewhere on the east coast.......

I wonder if he's got an eye on a GM position somewhere?

It's no secret that he wants to work in that capacity.

well hot damn...

I could dream of Hawk and Stoney, couldn't I?

You probably could.

That's not my dream to hear though. If I had it my way, I would have Hawk Harrelson and Bob Uecker in the booth. I know that's not possible, but man that'd be fun.

And they're both play-by-play guys, I know...but they're both so colorful, they could just switch back and forth.

Stone's letter of resignation, from chicagosports.com:

Dear Cubs fans:

Since I put on a Cubs uniform in 1974, I've seen lots of Cubs history. There has been heartache and joy, agony and ecstasy, not to mention 21 managers and 10 general managers.

Through all of these years and more than a few broadcast partners, I have always felt a strong connection to the greatest, most loyal fans in baseball, Cubs fans.

My love for the city of Chicago and the people who came to beautiful Wrigley Field has been a constant. Over three million of you Cubs fans came to the ball park in 2004 and the TV ratings showed you watched the Cubs broadcasts in staggering numbers.

Unfortunately, the 2004 season did not end as we had hoped. It was devastating for all of us who invested our hearts, our time and in many cases our lives, in the hopes and dreams of the Cubs winning a world championship.

I am sure you have read many things about this past season and my involvement in one or two controversies. However, you have never heard my story or my perspective of the events that have brought us to this point in time.

As has always been my personal policy, it is not my intention to divulge the content of private conversations I've had with others. Likewise, I do not want to be forced into sharing my side of the story.

I came to Chicago on the high road with my credibility and integrity. Thirty years later, I choose to leave the same way.

The phrase I used that angered certain people was "I regret nothing." Well folks, I was wrong about that and want to set the record straight. I regret I won't be calling another Cubs game on WGN-TV for the greatest fans in baseball…the fans of the Chicago Cubs.

It's been a great ride. I will never forget you. Most importantly, I thank you all for every minute of happiness, you, the fans have given me.

Best regards,

Steve Stone