Big Frank is coming back!

whitesoxin'

On the bottomline of The Best Damn Sports Show, it said Frank Thomas exercised his option of $8 million for 2005. I'll try to find a link to confirm it. Personally, I am thrilled because Frank has always been my favorite player. Could this mean Pauly is on the move?

There's already a thread about all the options the sox picked up, but why the hell not frank deserves his own thread. :)

On the bottomline of The Best Damn Sports Show, it said Frank Thomas exercised his option of $8 million for 2005. I'll try to find a link to confirm it. Personally, I am thrilled because Frank has always been my favorite player. Could this mean Pauly is on the move?

Why would that affect PK?

I'd say this is probably his last year under the current contract. Although if Frank plays well this year, it would appear likely that he'll get 10 mill next year.

Considering the Sox would have to pay 3.5 mill to buy him out, meaning the 6.5 mill that they would truly be paying Frank (he's gonna get the 3.5 regardless) could turn into a good price.

In fact, I look for Thomas to work his absolute ass off this offseason cause if he does, its gonna set him up for some good money. A, he's gonna get 10 mill in 06 and B, he's gonna have a legit shot (assuming he's healthy early enough in the season) to finish in the top 10 in the MVP (also assuming that the Sox add pitching which I think they will, cause I fully expect the Sox to make hte moves necessary to compete for the division/more).

I'd say this is probably his last year under the current contract.  Although if Frank plays well this year, it would appear likely that he'll get 10 mill next year. 

Considering the Sox would have to pay 3.5 mill to buy him out, meaning the 6.5 mill that they would truly be paying Frank (he's gonna get the 3.5 regardless) could turn into a good price.

In fact, I look for Thomas to work his absolute ass off this offseason cause if he does, its gonna set him up for some good money.  A, he's gonna get 10 mill in 06 and B, he's gonna have a legit shot (assuming he's healthy early enough in the season) to finish in the top 10 in the MVP (also assuming that the Sox add pitching which I think they will, cause I fully expect the Sox to make hte moves necessary to compete for the division/more).

I got a little mixed up on whether this year being his last was 05 or 06 in your post, so to clarify, according to Dugout Dollars, in 2006 he has a player option for $10 million, the team has an option for $12 million and a team buy out for $3.5 million. And 2006 is indeed the last year of the contract.

I'll miss Frank when he leaves, like I missed Robin when he left.

But, this isn't 1993 and he's not the same hitter that he used to be.

If they kept the team from the 2nd half of last year together, added Frank and another SP, they have a shot at the Central next year.

Maybe not as much if they got a RF AND a SP, but a good shot.

Maybe they could trade Everett and a bag of baseballs for a career minor leaguer, then get a REAL outfielder to replace Maggs.

Ahh pipe dreams... :drink

Guest hawaiisoxfn

Im glad to hear Frank is coming back. Just one thing, isnt he having surgery again which will keep him down til ST? I hope hes ready for next season.

When Thomas leaves, I hope he has reached 500 homeruns and I hope he leaves to retirement, not more money from someone else. No one has hit 500 homeruns all for us. I think it would be good for the franchise if he could reach that milestone. It would also be good if he could stay with us for his entire career. Franks awesome so I dont want to see him wearing someone else's uniform. He could be another Luke Appling, Red Faber or Ted Lyons. A HOFer who never played for anyone else. That would be great! :headbang

here is one thing i dont understand.... was there ever a doubt in your minds that Frank was going to exercise his option? I mean there wasn't a team out there who was going to match the money he is getting here.

I just hope Frank can finish what he started here and end his time with the silver and black on a high note.... no more selfish bulls*** that the media loves to report.

Fearless prediction....

Frank Thomas will not be wearing the silver and black in 2006, some will be dissapointed but the team will be better off without his DH only ass.

DH only ass???

Ok, so ur saying u want a player half as good as frank to fill that spot????

He consistantly as a tremendous obp and great power #'s. IMO, he doesnt get the credit he deserves. He also doesnt get any credit for doing any s*** like roids and illegal drugs.

Why??

He doesnt need to, he was filled out at 18. I cant believe that people did and still think it is possible to become so much bigger and stronger as bonds,sheffield,bagwell etc. have become.

:fthecubs

He doesnt need to, he was filled out at 18.  I cant believe that people did and still think it is possible to become so much bigger and stronger as bonds,sheffield,bagwell etc. have become.

Bagwell?

And it is possible. You build yourself up over time, and you will get big like that.

I'm not ruling roids out as a possibility...but that doesn't mean they are on roids.

The only two superstars that I think were on roids and are now off are Sosa and Giambi...what with them missing a ton of time this year, being hurt, playing like s***. Meanwhile, both Bonds and Sheff are MVP candiates.

DH only ass???

Ok, so ur saying u want a player half as good as frank to fill that spot????

He consistantly as a tremendous obp and great power #'s.  IMO, he doesnt get the credit he deserves.  He also doesnt get any credit for doing any s*** like roids and illegal drugs.

Why??

He doesnt need to, he was filled out at 18.  I cant believe that people did and still think it is possible to become so much bigger and stronger as bonds,sheffield,bagwell etc. have become.

:fthecubs

I'd rather have players on my team that can do more than only hit.... What else can Frank do... he's not a leader of any sorts... he doesn't run....doesn't field... I just think that on THIS type of team that Ozzie wants.... we dont have a spot for a DH only player.

He consistantly as a tremendous obp and great power #'s.  IMO, he doesnt get the credit he deserves.  He also doesnt get any credit for doing any s*** like roids and illegal drugs.

Im going to borrow a line from Chris Rock....

"Do you want a f***in cookie?"

He shouldn't be patted on the back for something he shouldn't be doing in the first place.

I love Frank and i love what he's done for the sox but I mean you cant let that blind you from seeing that he's not really what we need on this team right now.

Bagwell?

And it is possible.  You build yourself up over time, and you will get big like that.

I'm not ruling roids out as a possibility...but that doesn't mean they are on roids.

The only two superstars that I think were on roids and are now off are Sosa and Giambi...what with them missing a ton of time this year, being hurt, playing like s***.  Meanwhile, both Bonds and Sheff are MVP candiates.

Bonds and sheffield did so well because they have been taken unknown steroroids that couldnt be detected.

You cannot build yourself up the way giambi,bonds,sheffield,sosa, etc. have. You just cant do it in such as short timeframe.

I'd rather have players on my team that can do more than only hit.... What else can Frank do... he's not a leader of any sorts... he doesn't run....doesn't field... I just think that on THIS type of team that Ozzie wants.... we dont have a spot for a DH only player.

That makes no sense, because some1 should HAS to be your DH in the AL and I would be very happy having one of the best hitters in the game fill that spot.

Baseball is a whole lot different than football and basketball because it isnt a team sport. It is individuals playing on a team with very few team oriented plays. Frank isnt a leader but really who is a leader on this team???Now the valentin is gone, who will be up on the fence rooting for our team every pitch and coming through in the clutch. Honestly, besides jose there really hasnt been a leader on this team for some time-since ozzie was a player.

That makes no sense, because some1 should HAS to be your DH in the AL and I would be very happy having one of the best hitters in the game fill that spot.

Baseball is a whole lot different than football and basketball because it isnt a team sport.  It is individuals playing on a team with very few team oriented plays.  Frank isnt a leader but really who is a leader on this team???Now the valentin is gone, who will be up on the fence rooting for our team every pitch and coming through in the clutch.  Honestly, besides jose there really hasnt been a leader on this team for some time-since ozzie was a player.

For a DH i'd like to see someone who can rotate in and out of that position, giving people a rest when they need it....

So it does make sense....

See the 2002 Anaheim Angels.....

And stop overglorifying Frank....best hitters in the game and Frank Thomas shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.