Terry Francona

DBAHO

CHICAGO - (KRT) - One managerial candidate the White Sox bypassed last winter is winding down from the greatest World Series parade in history. Another who was swept aside in favor of Ozzie Guillen is close to landing a job as manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Shortly before the Red Sox wrapped up their sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday, manager Terry Francona reflected about how he had interviewed for three jobs last season_the White Sox and Baltimore Orioles in addition to Boston.

While Guillen ultimately was hired, Francona also was familiar to general manager Ken Williams and others in Chicago. His first job as a manager came with the White Sox's South Bend franchise in the Midwest League in 1992.

Francona was Michael Jordan's manager at Double-A Birmingham, where he spent three seasons before being hired to coach third base for Detroit manager Buddy Bell in 1996. Bell had been a coordinator in the White Sox's farm system when he spotted Francona's potential as a manager.

"He asked me in the winter of `90 if I wanted to be a manager in the minor leagues of the White Sox, and I told him no," Francona said. "I had had three surgeries that winter. I wanted to try to play, because I had worked hard. I told him I think I can still play. He kind of laughed when I told him that, because he saw me when I was healthy."

Francona, a career .274 hitter as a first baseman-outfielder, went to spring training with St. Louis but Cardinals manager Joe Torre cut him. Bell then gave him another call.

"He asked me if I wanted to come back and coach," Francona said. "I was actually in a real-estate class. And needless to say, I left right in the middle of the course. I gave the instructor my books and became a hitting instructor in Sarasota and realized how much I loved it. Buddy took me to Detroit. And he's responsible for a lot of what I'm doing and a lot of how I feel about players."

Francona managed Philadelphia for four seasons, then spent 2002 as a coach in Texas and 2003 in Oakland. He wanted another chance to manage. Initially he felt better about his chances in Baltimore (where Lee Mazzilli was hired) and Chicago than Boston.

"I went down to Baltimore and you tell them how you feel," Francona said. "But I'm for sure I came out thinking I was the right person. I (didn't) doubt they would offer me a three-year contract with a lot of money. I had ties in Chicago because I was a minor-league manager there for six years."

Wally Backman hopes he can have success after being rejected by the White Sox. He seemed a good choice to replace Jerry Manuel, having managed Birmingham to the Southern League title in 2002 and back to the playoffs in `03. But Backman ultimately poisoned his chances by criticizing Manuel to others, including Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire.

Backman eventually had to go back to Class A but did so well running Arizona's California League team that he has become one of the top candidates for the Diamondbacks job. The other finalists are former Seattle manager Bob Melvin and Washington/Montreal coach Manny Acta. But reportedly the choice is down to Backman or Melvin.

Big guns

According to an informal poll of major-league executives, the two most expensive free-agent pitchers this winter will be Florida's Carl Pavano and Boston's Pedro Martinez.

The others are Minnesota's Brad Radke, Boston's Derek Lowe, the Cubs' Matt Clement, Atlanta's Russ Ortiz, St. Louis' Matt Morris, Atlanta's Jaret Wright, Florida's Armando Benitez, Anaheim's Troy Percival, Los Angeles' Odalis Perez, the Mets' Kris Benson, Colorado's Shawn Estes, Detroit's Ugueth Urbina and Philadelphia's Kevin Millwood and Eric Milton.

Looking to return

Jim Leyland will interview Monday with the Philadelphia Phillies. He is serious about wanting to be their manager.

Jack McKeon's success in Florida has awakened the itch for Leyland and even Whitey Herzog. Leyland still lives in Pittsburgh and is excited about the chance to run a team with a $90 million payroll. An online poll by the Philadelphia Daily News has established Leyland as an overwhelming favorite with fans.

Colorado believed it was entitled to compensation because Leyland went on a retired list when he walked away from the Rockies after a 90-loss season in 1999, but the Phillies believe they can proceed without the Rockies' blessing.

"I won't know how much interest I have until I talk to them," said Leyland, who is a scout for the Cardinals. "It's a good situation. It's five hours by car for the family and 45 minutes by airplane on an off day. It's a good team and a good city. My family wants me to do it. (Wife) Katie says, `You're too young to be out and retired.'''

Leyland, 60 in December, also may talk to the New York Mets about their opening.

Whispers

The Indians are shopping infielder Ron Belliard to the Cubs and Yankees, among others. They expect Aaron Boone to be their third baseman next year and have been working with Casey Blake at second base. He had been considered an option at first, but a strong finish by Ben Broussard (.300, 13 homers, 43 RBIs after the All-Star break) has restored his stock within the organization. ... The Twins have lost their likely 2005 right fielder, Jason Kubel, to a torn ligament in his left knee sustained in the Arizona Fall League. That gives GM Terry Ryan a tough decision to make with Jacque Jones, who earned $4.35 million and is eligible for arbitration. ... Tampa Bay outfielder Joey Gathright has been a blur in the fall league. He's hitting .365 with 15 stolen bases in 15 attempts. ... Charlie Kerfeld is among the candidates to replace Wayne Rosenthal as the Marlins' pitching coach.

I put out this question though. If we hired Francona instead of Ozzie, would we have tried to trade for Curt Schilling?  :o

Yes, good point on schilling but i still dont believe we would have made the world series, never the less win it.

Wasn't there some riff-raff between Schilling and Reinsdorf around the '94 strike in which Schilling said he'd never come to the White Sox...?

I'm pretty sure that is what owuld happen.

However, I'm not sure Schilling would have ended up in Boston had Francona not been hired.

Wasn't there some riff-raff between Schilling and Reinsdorf around the '94 strike in which Schilling said he'd never come to the White Sox...?

IIRC, Schilling was the head prepresentative for the players back in 1994. I also think Schilling has a clause in his contract that doesn't allow the team to trade him to a team owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. :o

I'd still rather have Ozzie. Francona isn't anything special... If I Had like 3-4 future HOFers I'd win a world series as well.

Give me a break. I, and Red Sox fans alike where on his ass all season, and the guy came out in the playoffs and was completely flawless.

I am sure you would have sent Dave Roberts in that ninth inning of game four with the season, and possibly your job on the line.

:rolly

EDIT: Hell, the rest of his life was on the line. Imagine if Roberts had gotten thrown out and the Red Sox had gotten swept. Terry Francona would forever have been considered along the likes of Bill Buckner, Grady Little, Bucky Dent, etc.

I am sure you would have sent Dave Roberts in that ninth inning of game four with the season, and possibly your job on the line.

Theo got him to steal important bases for the Sawks, right?

That decision was easy. I sat watching the game knowing that was the move to make.

Give me a break.  I, and Red Sox fans alike where on his ass all season, and the guy came out in the playoffs and was completely flawless.

:rolly

Honestly.... im happy for the red sox, but you can keep Terry Francona. If he wanted to jump ship today and take ozzie's job i'd decline.

Congrats to him, he'll be remembered forever... but im just not impressed, and you weren't either until game 4 of the ALCS.

XOXO

Murcieone

:wub:

Honestly.... im happy for the red sox, but you can keep Terry Francona. If he wanted to jump ship today and take ozzie's job i'd decline.

Congrats to him, he'll be remembered forever... but im just not impressed, and you weren't either until game 4 of the ALCS.

XOXO

Murcieone

:wub:

Whoa whoa whoa. I am by no means saying he is an excellent manager, and considered with the Pinella's and Cox's. Not a chance.

I was impressed by the way he managed in the playoffs. Like I said, he was flawless. Thats all.

Correct.

But, Rivera knew he was going.  He threw back to first 5+ times, nearly picking him off in the process.

Gutsy f***in move, not an easy decision at all.

Yes, it was gutsy.

Although, Roberts is like a 90-95% success in stealing bases. The whole frign world knew he was going. I didnt understand why they didnt pitchout.

Also, some1 said that if he was caught francona would be with the likes of buckner and bla bal bla......Well, it was game 4, 3-0 yanks, i dont think he wouldve taken that mcuh heat man.

Yes, it was gutsy.

Although, Roberts is like a 90-95% success in stealing bases.  The whole frign world knew he was going.  I didnt understand why they didnt pitchout.

Also, some1 said that if he was caught francona would be with the likes of buckner and bla bal bla......Well, it was game 4, 3-0 yanks, i dont think he wouldve taken that mcuh heat man.

...well at the very least he'd owe me a new remote and a paint job...

;)