Terry Francona

DBAHO

Francona's strength as a manager is knowing and believing in his people. How many people were calling for him to sit Damon or Bellhorn down? Hell, they were chanting Pokey in Fenway during Game 2 or 3.

Blindly sticking with someone that is struggling can hang a coach or make him a hero. Francona clearly made the right choice sticking with the guys that got him there, showing them he had confidence in them to turn things around. They did rather quickly!

He was also very good at letting the players be themselves and do their own thing, while still keeping them all focused on the same goal. That is harder than you think.

Francona's strength as a manager is knowing and believing in his people.  How many people were calling for him to sit Damon or Bellhorn down?  Hell, they were chanting Pokey in Fenway during Game 2 or 3. 

Blindly sticking with someone that is struggling can hang a coach or make him a hero.  Francona clearly made the right choice sticking with the guys that got him there, showing them he had confidence in them to turn things around.  They did rather quickly!

He was also very good at letting the players be themselves and do their own thing, while still keeping them all focused on the same goal.  That is harder than you think.

Excellent post. I knew.. if you meant it.. if you meant it.. if you meant it.. and i knew if you mean it, meant it...

Hell, they were chanting Pokey in Fenway during Game 2 or 3.

That's why they don't allow guns in baseball stadiums....

I would have had to shoot the people around me calling for POKEY...

He was the Timo Perez of the Bosox. sub .600 OPS. :puke

Any manager who caved to that pressure from the fans should be removed on the spot.

That's why they don't allow guns in baseball stadiums....

I would have had to shoot the people around me calling for POKEY...

He was the Timo Perez of the Bosox. sub .600 OPS.  :puke

Any manager who caved to that pressure from the fans should be removed on the spot.

which was better than Bellhorn gave them in games 1-3 of the Yankees series...... I am not saying that would have been the right move, but the fans, media, it seemed everyone was calling for him to bench Bellhorn. He was 1-12 in the Yankees series and hitting .087 for the playoffs at that point. Hell, I wondered if that might be a necessary move.

Damon was 1-13 in games 1-3. Giving Dave Roberts a start would not have been out of the realm of reason.

which was better than Bellhorn gave them in games 1-3 of the Yankees series......      I am not saying that would have been the right move, but the fans, media, it seemed everyone was calling for him to bench Bellhorn.  He was 1-12 in the Yankees series and hitting .087 for the playoffs at that point.  Hell, I wondered if that might be a necessary move.

Damon was 1-13 in games 1-3.  Giving Dave Roberts a start would not have been out of the realm of reason.

Yeah. I'm not going to question pulling a guy for one game, giving him a rest. But you've gotta play the percentages, and Bellhorn's and Damon's .800 OPS isn't doing anygood on the bench.

Yeah. I'm not going to question pulling a guy for one game, giving him a rest.  But you've gotta play the percentages, and Bellhorn's and Damon's .800 OPS isn't doing anygood on the bench.

Man, in the playoffs, I think you can take OPS and toss it out the f***ing window........ a manager knows what a guy can or cannot do. He knows how they are playing at the current time. That is what matters. OPS is a measure of performance over the long haul. It gives you no indication of what a player who is struggling today, will do tomorrow........

Man, in the playoffs, I think you can take OPS and toss it out the f***ing window........ a manager knows what a guy can or cannot do.  He knows how they are playing at the current time.  That is what matters.  OPS is a measure of performance over the long haul.  It gives you no indication of what a player who is struggling today, will do tomorrow........

You can throw it out the window for a game or two, but for every game you play, it becomes more relavent... Bellhorn hit more HR's in the postseason than Pokey Reese did in the regular season. That doesn't mean that pokey wouldn't have driven in runs, only that was probably less likely to do so.

You can throw it out the window for a game or two, but for every game you play, it becomes more relavent... Bellhorn hit more HR's in the postseason than Pokey Reese did in the regular season.  That doesn't mean that pokey wouldn't have driven in runs, only that was probably less likely to do so.

That was my point....... in a single or two game game situation, you never know...... Bellhorn hit ALL Of those HR's in the post-season after Francona left him in, being second-guessed along the way.......