Jeff Pearlman called us morons

witesoxfan

link

A lot of journalists seem to think Minnesota will fall apart this year, and I'm not sure why. The Twins kept an overwhelming majority of the team together in the offseason (Old Man Pohlad finally busted out the pocketbook!). The core of the lineup, the locker room chemistry and the confidence all remain intact. Their team defense is insane, pitching is solid and they have a decent enough offense to produce consistent run support. Now all these young guys have some meaningful playoff experience, and they play baseball the way it's supposed to be played -- as a team. Why all the negativity and pessimism? --Joe Pike, Bloomington, Minn.

Joe, the answer is obvious. Do you really think any self-respecting baseball writer wants to attend a World Series in Minneapolis? I mean, c'mon. Do you know how friggin' cold that place is in October!? And finding a decent hotel? Impossible.

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about. Save for a few morons, the Twins are everyone's pick to win the Central. They have nearly their entire team back and free-agent signee Kenny Rogers might even be an upgrade over the injured Eric Milton. This is a fantastic team that -- should everything go right -- could battle for the Fall Classic.

There's a reason this is his last article for CNNSI....he says he's going somewhere....but, save a few morons, everyone knows he got the can.

I continue to believe as of now the Twins are the favorites and they will be until the Sox are way way up and running away with the division or until they dethrone the division champs.

The Twins may of stayed the same, but last year they were a far superior team and its not like they are full of aging players that are going to get worse. Their guys, like ours are young. Now their pen did get worse, but their rotation should be much better considering it should be more healthy then it was last year (Last year they were very beat up; Mays, Radke and Milton; This year its just Milton, so far at least). Offensively they'll lose a bit and they had some guys who had career years, but people like Guzman regressed from the year before so who knows.

All I know is the Sox look much better and I still have a lot of confidence, but its still a wait and see. I do think the Sox will win the division, but as of now its the Twins that should getting talked up. They won, they backed up there stuff, now its there turn to be the ones everyone is after, and the Sox will defeat them.

I continue to believe as of now the Twins are the favorites and they will be until the Sox are way way up and running away with the division or until they dethrone the division champs.

The Twins may of stayed the same, but last year they were a far superior team and its not like they are full of aging players that are going to get worse.  Their guys, like ours are young.  Now their pen did get worse, but their rotation should be much better considering it should be more healthy then it was last year (Last year they were very  beat up; Mays, Radke and Milton; This year its just Milton, so far at least).  Offensively they'll lose a bit and they had some guys who had career years, but people like Guzman regressed from the year before so who knows. 

All I know is the Sox look much better and I still have a lot of confidence, but its still a wait and see.  I do think the Sox will win the division, but as of now its the Twins that should getting talked up.  They won, they backed up there stuff, now its there turn to be the ones everyone is after, and the Sox will defeat them.

i agree we have yet to prove anything every year we are expected to win the division we finish .500. have the sox really done anything yet to say they are better?

link

A lot of journalists seem to think Minnesota will fall apart this year, and I'm not sure why. The Twins kept an overwhelming majority of the team together in the offseason (Old Man Pohlad finally busted out the pocketbook!). The core of the lineup, the locker room chemistry and the confidence all remain intact. Their team defense is insane, pitching is solid and they have a decent enough offense to produce consistent run support. Now all these young guys have some meaningful playoff experience, and they play baseball the way it's supposed to be played -- as a team. Why all the negativity and pessimism? --Joe Pike, Bloomington, Minn.

Joe, the answer is obvious. Do you really think any self-respecting baseball writer wants to attend a World Series in Minneapolis? I mean, c'mon. Do you know how friggin' cold that place is in October!? And finding a decent hotel? Impossible.

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about. Save for a few morons, the Twins are everyone's pick to win the Central. They have nearly their entire team back and free-agent signee Kenny Rogers might even be an upgrade over the injured Eric Milton. This is a fantastic team that -- should everything go right -- could battle for the Fall Classic.

There's a reason this is his last article for CNNSI....he says he's going somewhere....but, save a few morons, everyone knows he got the can.

for what it is worth my South dakota friend, I think the moron is the one who called us morons. I'm with you.

We all start the season 0-0. They do no start 13.5 games ayhead of us, but even. While we have to play them to beat them, we start out even and they get no bonus points from last season. We've made moves, they've made moves, we are certainly a legit contender, it is asnine to consider anyone a moron for picking the Sox.

Now if someone picked Detroit or KC, then the moron tag might come out.

Jas....and to everyone else....I do understand that the Twins are the favorites, and I have no problem admitting that(OK, it's hard to say it....but it is true).

However....just because they are favored to win, does that mean I have to follow suit and say they are going to win the division? I truly do believe that the Colon deal in its own pushed us over the top....it gave us the 1-2 punch that we really lacked all of last year. When you replace a Toad Ritchie with a Bartolo Colon....you're gonna get a huge difference, and I think that when someone took out Ritchie's decisions, and added in Colon's....we would have won 96 games or so. Let's not forget that we also had the same Pythagorean W-L as the Twins did last year....which for those of you who don't know, is a stat that was developed by Bill James....and it basically says how many games a team should have won....and if you have more wins....you got lucky....and if you have less....you didn't get lucky. And then when you consider that we added a ton to our offense last season from August 1 and on....and we strengthened our bullpen to make it one of the elite in the league....I feel our chances are really good as it is. IMO, we could be put in the AL West....and come out 90 game winners. That may not happen....but I feel that it could.

I also feel that management is not its greatest....whether it be on the field(mainly Manuel...however, we have won with Manuel as head honcho) or in the front office(KW)....but regardless....we could have an idiot for a manager....and a 4-year old for a GM....and this team would still win, based on talent alone. If we had Lou Piniella as manager....and Billy Beane as GM....we could win a lot of games. A lot more than many would think.

Point blank....can I accept the fact that the Twins are the favorites? Yeah. Can I accept it when people pick them to win the division? Yeah....kind of. Can I accept the fact that people pick the Twins and don't put any logical thought into whatsoever, or they fill their argument with half-truths and don't mention other key things? No....not at all. This is why I do not like Rosenthal's reasoning....and any idiot could realize that Pearlman is a douchebag. When I go to all my trouble defending my reasoning of why I think the Sox are going to win the division....and then I see these f***heads just say "those who pick the White Sox are morons" or they fill their argument with half-truths....I get pissed off.

Jas....and to everyone else....I do understand that the Twins are the favorites, and I have no problem admitting that(OK, it's hard to say it....but it is true).

However....just because they are favored to win, does that mean I have to follow suit and say they are going to win the division?

No. People think Minnesota will win the division because the Sox haven't shown they can beat the Twins. Those are 19 big games, and if you're losing 12 of those games, that's a huge factor in determining the division champion.

Not only haven't we proven we can beat the Twins......

IMO, we could be put in the AL West....and come out 90 game winners. That may not happen....but I feel that it could.

We haven't won on our west coast trips since the early 90's, I would venture to guess.

IMO, we could be put in the AL West....and come out 90 game winners. That may not happen....but I feel that it could.

We haven't won on our west coast trips since the early 90's, I would venture to guess.

I didn't even consider any of that stuff when I said that. I was strictly basing that statement on the talent of our team.

I didn't even consider any of that stuff when I said that. I was strictly basing that statement on the talent of our team.

I was only saying that west coast trips have always proven to be difficult for the Sox. I wouldn't ever want to be in the AL west.

Bartolo Colon, Billy Koch,  Daubach, Loaiza.   

DUH! These guys are gonna seal the Al Central 4 us. Of course, along with Frank, Maggs, Paulie, Buehrle, and others. I just realized the Sox are packed with great players. Go Sox!

we did a couple of AL west division titles!  ;)

There's exceptions to every rule. But, overall, and more importantly recently, the Sox have been terrible while playing out west.

Yep, every time i watch them over the past 3 or 4 years it has been ugly. I think it all started when the White Flag trade was made, cause that happened when the Sox were in Anaheim. I remember I was so pissed that day that I decided I would never root for the Sox again. That lasted till about the 6th inning, when I said, I just can't do it, I'll always love them.

Bartolo Colon, Billy Koch,  Daubach, Loaiza.    

DUH! These guys are gonna seal the Al Central 4 us. Of course, along with Frank, Maggs, Paulie, Buehrle, and others. I just realized the Sox are packed with great players. Go Sox!

Hold on.

You JUST realized that? :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, Pearlman was the one who did the John Rocker story while interviewing him on the freeway, and the David Wells story where all he talked about was Wells's weight and how much he eats etc. The man is a greaseball.