Pitching Projected Roster

chisox05

1.Mark Buehrle

2.Freddy Garcia

3.Randy Johnson

4.Odalis Perez

5.Jose Contreras

That would be my ideal rotation and in fact, it is actually pretty realistic.

Closer-Armando Benitez

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid-Cliff Politte

Long-Felix Diaz

We sign benitez for 3 years at 16 million total. We sign perez for 3 years at 20 million. We trade Carlos Lee and Jon Adkins for Randy Johnson.

What are your projections?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Mark Buehrle

2.Freddy Garcia

3.Randy Johnson

4.Odalis Perez

5.Jose Contreras

Closer-Armando Benitez

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid-Cliff Politte

Long-Felix Diaz

We sign benitez for 3 years at 16 million total.  We sign perez for 3 years at 20 million.  We trade Carlos Lee and Jon Adkins for Randy Johnson.

Benitez is gonna get 6-8 most likely 8. No way in hell is is gonna get alittle over 5 a year. You are closer on perez but more than likely he will get around 8 million on average per yer because he is the best lefty out there.

1.Mark Buehrle

2.Freddy Garcia

3.Randy Johnson

4.Odalis Perez

5.Jose Contreras

Closer-Armando Benitez

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid-Cliff Politte

Long-Felix Diaz

We sign benitez for 3 years at 16 million total.  We sign perez for 3 years at 20 million.  We trade Carlos Lee and Jon Adkins for Randy Johnson.

No offense buddy but it would take a hell of alot more then trading Carlos Lee and Jon Adkins to get that lineup.

More like giving away our entire offense and most of our prospects.

Second we don't need Randy Johnson and Perez. Garland is almost a sure thing to give us 12 wins again.

dunno know if c. lee and adkins would be enough for randy, arizona prolly knows kenny is willing to do whatever it takes, they'll prolly push him for more. even if they would take them, i'm not so sure it's realistic w/ about 17 mil going to randy, 5 1/2 to benitez(prolly closer to 8) and 7 to perez. we still need to find a SS and OF and that'd unfortunately push us over our "budget".

i'm out

Here's my prediction:

1. Garcia

2. Buehrle

3. Barry Zito

4. Jon Garland

5. Jose Contreras

Pen

Closer-Shingo Time

Set-Marte

Set-Jeff Nelson

Mid-Politte

Mid-Cotts

Long-Adkins

I don't think we will be using FA to bring in a starter but I think KW will pay the piper to acquire Zito from the A's. What will it take to do that? That's an excellent question but I think it will center around a guy like Rowand. This particular trading scenario makes sense for the Sox as Zito will not cause an increase in payroll. I am not stupid enough to think that Rowand alone will land Zito but I think he will be the start of a package that will include other guys who are farther away from arbitration.

Here's my prediction:

1. Garcia

2. Buehrle

3. Barry Zito

4. Jon Garland

5. Jose Contreras

Pen

Closer-Shingo Time

Set-Marte

Set-Jeff Nelson

Mid-Politte

Mid-Cotts

Long-Adkins

I don't think we will be using FA to bring in a starter but I think KW will pay the piper to acquire Zito from the A's. What will it take to do that? That's an excellent question but I think it will center around a guy like Rowand. This particular trading scenario makes sense for the Sox as Zito will not cause an increase in payroll. I am not stupid enough to think that Rowand alone will land Zito but I think he will be the start of a package that will include other guys who are farther away from arbitration.

Rowand is one of the best guys in the game for the amount of money he makes. I highly doubt he will go any where any time soon. Especially for zito and hit 0.83 g/f ratio.

I like Rowand but would deal him for a guy 2 years removed from winning 23 games. Could Coop get through to Zito? I don't think so. From what I've read, Zito is so cerebral that it takes a special individual to help him harness his ability. You could see the drop in the post-Peterson climate in Oakland. This is purely hypothetical, but it sure would make you wonder about Steve Stone as Zito's pitching coach.....

dunno know if c. lee and adkins would be enough for randy, arizona prolly knows kenny is willing to do whatever it takes, they'll prolly push him for more.  even if they would take them, i'm not so sure it's realistic w/ about 17 mil going to randy, 5 1/2 to benitez(prolly closer to 8) and 7 to perez.  we still need to find a SS and OF and that'd unfortunately push us over our "budget".

i'm out

To be honest, i thought lee and adkins is too much. They get 9 million cap space while getting a 30-40 hr hitter 300 avg 375 obp guy as well as a possible descent #4/5 starter especially in the nl.

I like Rowand but would deal him for a guy 2 years removed from winning 23 games. Could Coop get through to Zito? I don't think so. From what I've read, Zito is so cerebral that it takes a special individual to help him harness his ability. You could see the drop in the post-Peterson climate in Oakland. This is purely hypothetical, but it sure would make you wonder about Steve Stone as Zito's pitching coach.....

If steve stone were our pitching coach, he would become an instant chicago whitesox god!

To be honest, i thought lee and adkins is too much.  They get 9 million cap space while getting a 30-40 hr hitter 300 avg 375 obp guy as well as a possible descent #4/5 starter especially in the nl.

There are several teams after him which is gonna raise the amount of talent that is gonna have to be given up. Whoever gets him is gonna be vastly over paying and is gonna regret it in the long run.

My prediction:

SP:

Buehrle

Garcia

Contreras

Garland

Grilli

RP:

Takatsu

Politte

Marte

Cotts

Adkins

Scott Williamson (or maybe Paul Shuey or Bob Wickman)

And before people rip into this for being too pessimistic, let me just say that by predicting the signing of Shuey or Williamson I'm actually suggesting they'll shell out money for a quality veteran arm. Last year they picked up Mike Jackson in that role, so I think this is optimsitic :D

If the Sox really do sign Vizquel for 4 million a year, it seems more likely that changes to the pitching staff will come through trading Lee. They'll need to dump salary to stay under 70 million (which is around what the Trib and Gammons suggested the payroll would be, FWIW). But that's too hard to predict, so I'll stick with just a FA pickup.

To be honest, i thought lee and adkins is too much.  They get 9 million cap space while getting a 30-40 hr hitter 300 avg 375 obp guy as well as a possible descent #4/5 starter especially in the nl.

I don't think Adkins was a decent 4/5 starter in AAA, so I don't think that's enough to get Johnson. They supposedly were interested in players the caliber of Jorge Posada plus more, so getting Johnson would involve giving up quality players and prospects. They especially need pitching, maybe catching, 2B, outfielder, and all for low salaries. I think the package would have to include Garland and probably McCarthy or Cotts along with Lee or Rowand. But that's a completely baseless guess :D

He may never pitch again because of his degenerative hip. If he does pitch again this year he will not be close to pitching at 100%  so i would stay away from him.

I didn't realize that, I just saw his name & ERA on the relievers list and thought it might be a good pickup. I agree a reliever with one hip probably won't be a good investment...

I don't think Adkins was a decent 4/5 starter in AAA, so I don't think that's enough to get Johnson. They supposedly were interested in players the caliber of Jorge Posada plus more, so getting Johnson would involve giving up quality players and prospects. They especially need pitching, maybe catching, 2B, outfielder, and all for low salaries. I think the package would have to include Garland and probably McCarthy or Cotts along with Lee or Rowand. But that's a completely baseless guess  :D

I agree he would not be a good starter nut he would be a damn good reliever in the n.l. August 3rd he had an era of 3.08, then by september 6th he had an era of 3.54. But he hit a really rough month that blew his era out of proportion and made it look like he had a worse year than he actually did. He ended the year with a 4.65 era.

I am not saying adkins is a descent #4/5 starter. I am saying, some mlb teams percieve him to have the potential to be that. I believe that if he is put into games where the teams i losing or winning by a lot, his era will be very low. He had a great era for the sox until they kept moving him up to setup where he kept bombing.

I am not saying adkins is a descent #4/5 starter.  I am saying, some mlb teams percieve him to have the potential to be that.  I believe that if he is put into games where the teams i losing or winning by a lot, his era will be very low.  He had a great era for the sox until they kept moving him up to setup where he kept bombing.

That's cool. I honestly have no idea what major league front offices think (I am beginning to think that the Sox and I think differently, but that's probably a good thing for them).

As you mention, I think Adkins numbers were kind of deceptive. He ended up with a 1.5 WHIP and a .305 BAA, and those seem high to me (particularly the batting average against). I seem to remember him letting a lot of inherited runners score, but I don't know the stats and could be wrong. He did look like he could get a strikeout, and he had a 2 to 1 K/BB ratio, so maybe he'll develop. But I'd much rather see him at the end of the bullpen than being a setup man.