Pitching Projected Roster

chisox05

1. Mark Buerhlre

2. Freddy Garcia

3. Barry Zito

4. Jose Contreas

5. John Garland

I expect the Sox to win out on the Oakland A's lottery, which will more than likely be Zito.

Bullpen

Mid- Pollitte

SU- One of Kennys 300,000 finds

SU- Marte

C- Takatsu

I'm not really worried about this as Kenny is a fricken' genius when finding bullpen arms.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About Milton and Ortiz, I agree that it's disturbing to hear that they may top the Sox list of pitchers to acquire. As far as I can see, Milton wins for worst fit for the Sox. His stats last year:

ERA 4.75

WHIP 1.35

GO/AO 0.59 (ground out to flyout ratio)

HR 43

I think he would just get lit up in USCF & the AL with those numbers. He had some OK years with MN, but he never had an ERA below 4.30. I know he's got great, left-handed stuff so someone will overpay. In fact he might be out of the Sox price range (if they're lucky).

For Ortiz last season:

ERA 4.13

WHIP 1.51

GO/AO 1.09

HR 23

Ortiz's stats were actually a little better than I thought they'd be. I think the high number of walks (his WHIP is worse than Garland's) would be a bad idea in USCF (too many 3 run HRs....), but he had pitched better than this in 2002 and 2003 (1.3 WHIP, still not great) so it's not as ridiculous an idea as Milton. I'd still prefer someone else (Clement if there's some chance he's healthy or maybe Lowe), especially if acquiring a SP means trading Lee to cut payroll.

Guest hawaiisoxfn

I wouldnt trade Lee and Adkins for Johnson. How old is RJ? Like 41? Lees still got most of his career in front of him, and hes only going to get better. RJ has probably one more year left and then hes done. This would be a better trade for Arizona than it would be for us. They lost 100+ games last year and were the worst team in baseball. They probably want to get rid of old guys like RJ and get young guys like Lee who are in their prime or improving. I dont want to see the Sox make this trade.

1.Mark Buehrle

2.Freddy Garcia

3.Randy Johnson

4.Odalis Perez

5.Jose Contreras

That would be my ideal rotation and in fact, it is actually pretty realistic.

Closer-Armando Benitez

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid-Cliff Politte

Long-Felix Diaz

We sign benitez for 3 years at 16 million total.  We sign perez for 3 years at 20 million.  We trade Carlos Lee and Jon Adkins for Randy Johnson.

What are your projections?

Randy Johnson and Armando Benitez were two of the top three legitimate cy young contenders last year according to my calculations.

Thread of the year:

Rex Hudler's system for knowledgeable and objective baseball fans

Rex may have gotten pissed at us

I would be too. That was the first time I read that thread (I was probably gone that day) and saw some serious dumbasses posting some stupid s*** there. An hour of work Rex put into that and some post dumb one/two line crap with something he already stated not to do. :headshake

How is that new here?

:lol: True, but I expected better from some of the smartest sox fans here ya know.. Especially when it was stated more than once. A f***ing 10 yr. old could see that he can't post names of the players... Just answer who ya want which Rex was saying.

Put me on the bandwagon to aquire Kyle Farnsworth via trade. I know he's a bit of a headcase, but he has absolutely electric stuff. And, the Cubs are (most likely) beginning to run out of patience with this kid. Last year, the Braves were able to steal Juan Cruz from the Cubs for two minor leaguers - maybe we can do the same for Farnsy.

Probably a dream because neither franchise would want to trade any potential stars to the other side of town, but if we got Farnsy, that'd make me real happy. :)

You are joking, right?

Kenny has ressurected the career of Tom Gordon. He got Marte for absolutly nothing. Thats 2 of the top 5 set-up men right there in MLB. He's also made some great moves to get Pollitte and Takatsu.

I would say few teams do better than the White Sox with their bullpen, considering the payroll we put into it.

Put me on the bandwagon to aquire Kyle Farnsworth via trade.  I know he's a bit of a headcase, but he has absolutely electric stuff.  And, the Cubs are (most likely) beginning to run out of patience with this kid.  Last year, the Braves were able to steal Juan Cruz from the Cubs for two minor leaguers - maybe we can do the same for Farnsy.

Probably a dream because neither franchise would want to trade any potential stars to the other side of town, but if we got Farnsy, that'd make me real happy.  :)

After a bad year he seems to boune back quite well. So if we ever were to trade for him now would be the time to.

Put me on the bandwagon to aquire Kyle Farnsworth via trade.  I know he's a bit of a headcase, but he has absolutely electric stuff.  And, the Cubs are (most likely) beginning to run out of patience with this kid.  Last year, the Braves were able to steal Juan Cruz from the Cubs for two minor leaguers - maybe we can do the same for Farnsy.

Probably a dream because neither franchise would want to trade any potential stars to the other side of town, but if we got Farnsy, that'd make me real happy.  :)

Oh hell ya I'd do that.

Im not a HUGE Percival fan, but why is there so much hatred for the guy? I know the age is a big factor, but he had 33 saves with 2.90 ERA. We wouldnt be giving anything up for him, I dont see why the Sox dont take a chance on him.

I agree, i dont understand why there is so much hate for him and i also think we could get him cheaper than many think.

If we miss out on on Benitez and Percival, another guy we could possibly look at is Dustin Hermanson. He went 17 for 20 in save oppurtunities and I think he had a really good September ERA wise when he was in the closer role. The Indians already have interest in him. Just a guy to look out for.