Other Moves that Could Affect the Sox

beck72

I saw an article that had a lot of possiblities in it for moves by other teams. One had Anaheim going after Beltran, so they can move Garret Anderson back to LF, this according to the Post here:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/33028.htm

This got me thinking of how specific FA signings and trades could affect the Sox. Say Ana. does get Beltran, they would want to cut salary. Erstad at 1B for 2 yrs and $16 mill is a luxury they wouldn't be able to afford. [and the Sox, or any other team, should be responsible for all his salary]

There would be a risk in getting him, esp as he would likely not play CF. Yet he earned a gold glove in LF in 2000. He could leadoff [esp vs RHP--Rowand could lead off vs LHP] like he did in the playoffs and provide the Sox with a more balanced lineup--speed [16 SB's w/ 1 CS]; good defense; and a contact hitter rather than a power guy.

If the Sox could get Ana to pitch in some cash, [like $4 mill, that would bring his salary down to $6 mill a yr] Ana. would basically give him away for mid level prospects. They'll have to make room for their big contracts. The key would be the health status of Erstad and what is the outlook for his hamstring. He hurt his hamstring early in the yr, yet was well enough to finish out the yr w/ 16 SB's. I have no doubt playing 1B helped him. Yet the sox could give him rest vs LHP, with Escobar likely to be on the team. And Brian Anderson could be ready and waiting in AAA in case of injury.

KW has long wanted Erstad. There's a big risk in getting him. And it's unlike the sox to take one like this, with a possible big reward. They like to try cheap reclamation projects instead. If Erstad could give the sox a yr like his 2004 yr--.295/.346 /.400--his defense and intangibles could give the Sox a big dose of what the sox need--heart and desire.

If it's not Erstad, I still think the Sox will add an OFer who can play good defense, steal bases [15+ a yr] hit LH, and who can hit leadoff at least against RH pitching.

Erstad is a good player, but the problem with his is his health. Could be too much a risk. Plus that 2000 season of his is sort off a major Fluke

2000 was a fluke, but 2002 was not. When he is healthy, he is a very solid player.

Not $8 mill a year solid though. They'd have to throw in quite a bit of cash.

2000 was a fluke, but 2002 was not.  When he is healthy, he is a very solid player.

Not $8 mill a year solid though.  They'd have to throw in quite a bit of cash.

Or something out of their collection of young arms. It would be nice to refill the top of our minor league pitching.

I don't pay Darin Erstad more than four million dollars.

For a player who gets injured as often as Erstad does, $4 mill could be too much too.

He's not a difference maker like Frank Thomas can be, where him making $8 mill will either be a steal or a burden, depending on his health. A $4 mill Erstad could end up being a good player who's making too much money, or he's a burden.

Erstad is a good player, but the problem with his is his health. Could be too much a risk. Plus that 2000 season of his is sort off a major Fluke

If healthy, [and that's a big "if", though he was able to stay healthy from May on this yr, only missed time in 2003, and he had over 600 ab's in both 2001 and 2002] and the injuries haven't taken much away from his game, esp. his OF defense, he'd probably be in line for his 2004 stats--.295/.346/.400, with 16 Sb's, good contact hitter, hits tough pitchers, able to work counts.

Or something out of their collection of young arms.  It would be nice to refill the top of our minor league pitching.

If the Sox wanted to expand the deal, then the Sox would have to give up more minor or major league talent for Erstad. My thinking was if the Sox didn't have to give up top prospects for him, taking on the rest of his contract [minus the $4-6 million] could be worth it for Ana.

For a player who gets injured as often as Erstad does, $4 mill could be too much too.

He's not a difference maker like Frank Thomas can be, where him making $8 mill will either be a steal or a burden, depending on his health.  A $4 mill Erstad could end up being a good player who's making too much money, or he's a burden.

Erstad has played hurt, and still has been productive. the only significant time he missed was in 2003. He had over 600 ab's in 2002 and 2001, and had the monster yr in 2000. Last yr he was hurt to start the yr [maybe a carry over from the 2003 hamstring problems?] but finished strong. He slumped a little during Sept. but was near .320 late in the yr.

My concern would be if there were any carryover, long term effects from his leg injuries that would prevent him from playing LF for the Sox. Paying him $4-6 mill would be well worth the price.

Another name just came to mind when I was thinking of the question "is Erstad making too much money?" JD Drew. He was even more injury prone than Erstad, missed more games and was very overpaid. Many people would sign Drew to a long term contract, yet wouldn't take a chance on erstad.

It's very possible that Ana would put in cash to make his salary less than $6 mill. While Erstad isn't going to put up Drew like numbers, Erstad could provide some missing pieces well worth that price

At 4 mill a year I'd be all over Darin Erstad. He plays gold glove first base and is a great top of the order hitter. As he progressed this past year he was just getting better and better.

And no, while he's an awesome outfielder I wouldn't move him there. If the Sox deal Lee, going after Erstad may not be a bad option, if in fact he goes on the market.

We all know they have Kochman. I read in the Register that the Angels were thinking about cutting payroll. Then I saw Gammons say they are going to increase it to 95 million and go after Pedro/Beltran.

Now, I don't know what to think, but I do think Erstad is on the block. At the same time he's a mega fan favorite so I highly doubt they'd trade him for nothing. But if they would pick up 4 mill a year for 2 years, I'd give up a guy like Munoz or Diaz. Of course I don't quite think the Angels would do that.

Erstad

Omar

Frank

Lee

Everett

Rowand

Crede

Catcher

Harris/Uribe

Wouldn't be too shabby, especially if they opted to go after a RF via free agency...a left handed hitting one at that.

That lineup would still have power but it would also have speed and Darin and Omar would give the Sox a totally different top of the order.

Heck, come to think of it, I could see the Angels having interest in Konerko. Maybe they would do a Konerko for Erstad (partially paid salary) and Jose Guillen.

I could see a package like that working. Konerko's salary is basically filled by Erstad and Guillen.

Your lineup:

Erstad

Vizquel

Thomas

Lee

Guillen

Rowand

Ben Davis

Crede

Uribe/Harris

Only flaw with that lineup is you have a right handed stretch, but its still what I would call a potent top and middle of the order. Who knows, maybe its a possibility.

At 4 mill a year I'd be all over Darin Erstad.  He plays gold glove first base and is a great top of the order hitter.  As he progressed this past year he was just getting better and better. 

And no, while he's an awesome outfielder I wouldn't move him there.  If the Sox deal Lee, going after Erstad may not be a bad option, if in fact he goes on the market.

We all know they have Kochman.  I read in the Register that the Angels were thinking about cutting payroll.  Then I saw Gammons say they are going to increase it to 95 million and go after Pedro/Beltran. 

Now, I don't know what to think, but I do think Erstad is on the block.  At the same time he's a mega fan favorite so I highly doubt they'd trade him for nothing.  But if they would pick up 4 mill a year for 2 years, I'd give up  a guy like Munoz or Diaz.  Of course I don't quite think the Angels would do that. 

Erstad

Omar

Frank

Lee

Everett

Rowand

Crede

Catcher

Harris/Uribe

Wouldn't be too shabby, especially if they opted to go after a RF via free agency...a left handed hitting one at that. 

That lineup would still have power but it would also have speed and Darin and Omar would give the Sox a totally different top of the order.

Heck, come to think of it, I could see the Angels having interest in Konerko.  Maybe they would do a Konerko for Erstad (partially paid salary) and Jose Guillen. 

I could see a package like that working.  Konerko's salary is basically filled by Erstad and Guillen.

Your lineup:

Erstad

Vizquel

Thomas

Lee

Guillen

Rowand

Ben Davis

Crede

Uribe/Harris

Only flaw with that lineup is you have a right handed stretch, but its still what I would call a potent top and middle of the order.  Who knows, maybe its a possibility.

I want Uribe hitting 6th or 7th in the lineup...I do not like Uribe htiting 9th.

But I think I could live with that lineup. There are worse offenses out there.

And no, while he's an awesome outfielder I wouldn't move him there.  If the Sox deal Lee, going after Erstad may not be a bad option, if in fact he goes on the market.

Why wouldn't you move Erstad to LF? He won a gold glove there in 2000, and it would save his legs. Getting Erstad would mean keeping PK, which I think the sox are intent on doing. Plus they have an Erstad type [minus the speed] at 1B in Gload.

Why wouldn't you move Erstad to LF? He won a gold glove there in 2000, and it would save his legs. Getting Erstad would mean keeping PK, which I think the sox are intent on doing. Plus they have an Erstad type [minus the speed] at 1B in Gload.

Becuase he can not play in the outfield anymore. His hamstrings can't take it. Whether he plays left, center or right he's going to be running to much and bang into way too many walls. Erstad only knows one speed.

The Angels are looking for a CF, if they thought Erstad could play CF they wouldn't be looking for it cause he's a gold glover out there.

He can not play in the outfield, it is too much of a health laibility.

Becuase he can not play in the outfield anymore.  His hamstrings can't take it.  Whether he plays left, center or right he's going to be running to much and bang into way too many walls.  Erstad only knows one speed.

The Angels are looking for a CF, if they thought Erstad could play CF they wouldn't be looking for it cause he's a gold glover out there.

He can not play in the outfield, it is too much of a health laibility.

I'd only get Erstad if he could play LF. There's less wear and tear being in LF than CF. Keeping Aaron in CF would save Erstad's legs. I don't know the extent of his leg injuries. But him stealing 16 bases and getting thrown out only 1 time this year tells me he doesn't exactly need a walker in the field.

I am honestly surprised that he can even play first, since he still has to stretch alot and make occasional diving catches.

I'll tell you one thing I guarantee, he is the best defensive first baseman in baseball. Their is absolutely zero doubt in my mind about that. The guy is a great athlete and has that tough attitude to get everything done.

He's definately the type of guy that adds a little more then just stats, just like I think Omar does. Erstie is also an absolutely leader in the clubhouse.

I am honestly surprised that he can even play first, since he still has to stretch alot and make occasional diving catches.

People talk about him like he's 90 yrs old and can't even walk. I don't know how bad his legs are but I'd guess not many around here do either

People talk about him like he's 90 yrs old and can't even walk. I don't know how bad his legs are but I'd guess not many around here do either

Ya, I can tell you, he's played left field and still gets hurt. His hammies can not take the day to day from the running and all the banging his knees/hammies take from him hitting the walls, diving and all that stuff. He gets hurt playing the outfield and he's too important for them to risk it.

The Angels would have interest in Konerko cause they want some power at the corner positions. McPherson is going to be playing 3b and they will definately be open to adding a right handed hitter to hit in the 5 hole (replacing Guillen) and first base would be a possibility.

Erstad is the best 1st baseman in baseball defensively.

All i know is his hamstrings are ridiulously bad. If it came down to it that they were in say the 17th inning of a game and used all there outfielders in the game and one of the three remaining in the outfield got hurt, he would not be the replacement. They would fine anyone else to go out there instead of him.

Ya, I can tell you, he's played left field and still gets hurt.  His hammies can not take the day to day from the running and all the banging his knees/hammies take from him hitting the walls, diving and all that stuff.  He gets hurt playing the outfield and he's too important for them to risk it.

The Angels would have interest in Konerko cause they want some power at the corner positions.  McPherson is going to be playing 3b and they will definately be open to adding a right handed hitter to hit in the 5 hole (replacing Guillen) and first base would be a possibility. 

Erstad is the best 1st baseman in baseball defensively.

I know he's a crazy man in CF. But I still haven't heard or seen how bad his hammies are, or if it would prevent him from playing LF. That Erstad went from May to October staying healthy says something. So does his 16 SB's.

I know why Ana would be cautious w/ him they had him signed for 3 yrs and a large contract. The sox could play him in LF in 2005 and if he gets hurt, play him at 1B in 2006 when PK becomes a FA. But I'd want to go through his med records with a fine tooth comb. Knowing how badly KW has wanted Erstad in the past, my guess is he's already got copies

All i know is his hamstrings are ridiulously bad. If it came down to it that they were in say the 17th inning of a game and used all there outfielders in the game and one of the three remaining in the outfield got hurt, he would not be the replacement. They would fine anyone else to go out there instead of him.

If they were that bad then why is he stealing bases? If he can't play LF, I'd want no part of him.

I know he's a crazy man in CF. But I still haven't heard or seen how bad his hammies are, or if it would prevent him from playing LF. That Erstad went from May to October staying healthy says something. So does his 16 SB's.

I know why Ana would be cautious w/ him they had him signed for 3 yrs and a large contract. The sox could play him in LF in 2005 and if he gets hurt, play him at 1B in 2006 when PK becomes a FA. But I'd want to go through his med records with a fine tooth comb. Knowing how badly KW has wanted Erstad in the past, my guess is he's already got copies

Let me put it this way. Anaheim was so banged up early in the season and they still didn't consider Erstad an option.

Erstad can run. He's a good base stealer, its just the constant wear and tear that the Angels don't want to risk and won't risk. Unless its the world series, he will not play another game in the OF for Anaheim.

Their have been a lot of articles talking about how his days in the OF are done in Anaheim. Maybe another team is gutsier. I guess you could compare him to Rondell White in a sense, and well after quite a few injury riddled years White was able to stay healthy for a year or two.

And Erstad is gonna be a crazy man wherever he plays, regardless of whether he's in left. He's played plenty of games in left field and does nearly the same things.

If they were that bad then why is he stealing bases? If he can't play LF, I'd want no part of him.

What jason said in the post above this one. If there is someone to believe, believe him since he leaves in cali and heard everything that is happening with the angels.

Let me put it this way.  Anaheim was so banged up early in the season and they still didn't consider Erstad an option. 

Erstad can run.  He's a good base stealer, its just the constant wear and tear that the Angels don't want to risk and won't risk.  Unless its the world series, he will not play another game in the OF for Anaheim. 

Their have been a lot of articles talking about how his days in the OF are done in Anaheim.  Maybe another team is gutsier.  I guess you could compare him to Rondell White in a sense, and well after quite a few injury riddled years White was able to stay healthy for a year or two. 

And Erstad is gonna be a crazy man wherever he plays, regardless of whether he's in left.  He's played plenty of games in left field and does nearly the same things.

Haven't Erstad's hamstrings been only a recent injury? I know he dislocated a finger this yr, and I seem to recall a back injury in the past, and maybe a knee injury. But if his hamstrings were only new in 2003, and the start of this yr, I wonder what other recurring risks and problems there are to his legs.