Outfield Option - flying under the radar

whitesox61382

There have been some reports that the Sox might go after an outfielder(even with Everett aboard). There is also the possibility that Lee could still be moved. A lot of big name outfielders are being mentioned Beltran, Maggs, Sosa, ect, but one name flying under the radar is Moises Alou. The guy quitely put up a pretty impressive season last year: .293/39/106 .918 OPS. I am not sure what he will get in the open market, but if the Sox could get him for 6-7M/yr, than I think they should take a look at him as a good stop gap type player(move Lee to fill other weaknesses and sign Alou for a couple Mill less than Lee). Just something to think about.

Let me get this straight, you guys think that Lee/Gload would be more productive than Alou/Konerko? I like Gload as much as anyone on this board, but to think that he will put up numbers similar to Alou is just foolish. I can understand the arguement that the Sox might be able to spend their money for other needs, but if the Sox only take 4-5M in salary via a trade involving Lee(cutting about 3-4M from the payroll). They turn around and spend 6-7M on Alou. They only add about 3-4M to the current payroll, don't miss a beat production wise(between Lee and Alou), and fill other needs with the players received in the Lee trade. I know that it is highly unlikely, but it is certainly a scenerio that the Sox might consider(or a similar path). Alou's age/health is a concern, but it could certainly be a risk worth taking. I just thought that I would throw that scenerio out there.

Let me get this straight, you guys think that Lee/Gload would be more productive than Alou/Konerko? I like Gload as much as anyone on this board, but to think that he will put up numbers similar to Alou is just foolish. I can understand the arguement that the Sox might be able to spend their money for other needs, but if the Sox only take 4-5M in salary via a trade involving Lee(cutting about 3-4M from the payroll). They turn around and spend 6-7M on Alou. They only add about 3-4M to the current payroll, don't miss a beat production wise(between Lee and Alou), and fill other needs with the players received in the Lee trade. I know that it is highly unlikely, but it is certainly a scenerio that the Sox might consider(or a similar path). Alou's age/health is a concern, but it could certainly be a risk worth taking. I just thought that I would throw that scenerio out there.

I don't question Alou's production, I question his mentality. Is that the type of veteran we want on this team - one that blames just about everyone but himself for the team's problems? Is that the kind of guy Ozzie wants leading his clubhouse?

Alou made 8 errors and ran the bases porrly in addition to his clubhouse problems. You asked if Alou/Konerko is better than Lee/Gload and it is but you would also have to factor in that the Lee/Gload scenario brings in somebody else whereas trading Lee and signing Alou also does but increases precious payroll.

well i rather have lee/gload over konerko/alou..... alou is a liability in the field he is old and b4 these past 2 injuries hurt him and he is money that can be better spent elswhere... in lee/gload we get 2 productive players and if you have forgotten already gload finished the season with a 16 game hitting streak and gets paid like nothing.

I'd rather deal Konerko and Munoz/Diaz for Erstad/Guillen then have Moises Alou.

Then the Sox have a ton of other options avaialable. I think their are a lot of options better then Moises Alou. IF the Sox are going to spend 6-7 million on a FA, then they should be looking at Matt Clement/Brad Radke, etc or look at giving Percy 4 mill a year.

To me both are more important needs.

I have to quibble with the numbers though. Radke made 10.5 million this year and I don't see him making much less per year than that given the rough market this year. Also, Percival will surely get more than 4 as it's only him and Benitez as solid solutions for teams looking for a closer. With your numbers they add up to about 10-11 each year where I see them more around 10 and 7 respectively

I have to quibble with the numbers though. Radke made 10.5 million this year and I don't see him making much less per year than that given the rough market this year. Also, Percival will surely get more than 4 as it's only him and Benitez as solid solutions for teams looking for a closer. With your numbers they add up to about 10-11 each year where I see them more around 10 and 7 respectively

If radke gets ten per year some team is drastically over paying. He should get no more than around 8 million if he is lucky. He is very inconsistent year in year out.

Alou- He'll be playing for daddy in San Fran.

Radke- I don't know where everyone on this board gets the idea that the Sox can sign this guy. The Twins are making him the number one priority in the off-season. If he isn't with the Twins, someone came in and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

"The Pioneer Press reported that although the Twins would like to keep all five free agents -- pitchers Brad Radke and Terry Mulholland, catcher Henry Blanco, shortstop Cristian Guzman and third baseman Corey Koskie -- Radke is considered the keystone of the Twins' winter plans. All five free agent have indicated they would welcome a chance to return."

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

He's not going anywhere.

Well a few articles have said that the Twins will deal both Jones and Hunter if they have to, to set aside the funds to resign Radke. I have no doubt that they will make a serious effort to keep him and odds are he stays in Minny.

Of course, he is available and a team would be foolish not to contact him and make him an offer. You never know what Minny is going to do cause Carl Pohlad is a complete jagoff of an owner.

the twins number 1 priority this season i heard was signing santana to a long term deal and i think even radke said that too dont have a link though

Radke is their number one priority according to rotoworld.

Twins GM Terry Ryan indicated that re-signing free agent Brad Radke is his top priority.

"It revolves around Radke to a degree," Ryan said. That sounds good, but speculation has the Twins offering Radke only a two-year deal. Other teams may be willing to go to $27 million over three years. Radke could take less money to stay in Minnesota, but he's probably going to want the three-year deal.

There have been some reports that the Sox might go after an outfielder(even with Everett aboard). There is also the possibility that Lee could still be moved. A lot of big name outfielders are being mentioned Beltran, Maggs, Sosa, ect, but one name flying under the radar is Moises Alou. The guy quitely put up a pretty impressive season last year: .293/39/106 .918 OPS. I am not sure what he will get in the open market, but if the Sox could get him for 6-7M/yr, than I think they should take a look at him as a good stop gap type player(move Lee to fill other weaknesses and sign Alou for a couple Mill less than Lee). Just something to think about.

Not another clubhouse cancer Alou is a big one.

Radke is their number one priority according to rotoworld.

Twins GM Terry Ryan indicated that re-signing free agent Brad Radke is his top priority.

"It revolves around Radke to a degree," Ryan said. That sounds good, but speculation has the Twins offering Radke only a two-year deal. Other teams may be willing to go to $27 million over three years. Radke could take less money to stay in Minnesota, but he's probably going to want the three-year deal.

If they are only willing to give two years, then book it, he will be elsewhere, cause I expect him to get at the very least a 4 yr 24 mill deal. If he goes 3 years, I could see a 3 yr 21 mill deal working out, even 24 mill.

But I guarantee at least someone offers him a 4 yr deal worth 24 mill.