Randy Johnson and Jon Lieber

DBAHO

Unless we get carl crawford, raul ibanez, jose guillen, larry bigbie our defense in left field will not be upgraded. These were the only other left fielders that were better at range factor.

I knew you'd come through. :lol: I think Lee is a better overall player then Pauly but my biggest reason for wanting to trade Pauly over Carlos is the Gload factor, I really think Ross would help this team with his defense and just the way he plays the game and like cheat said in another thread the guy can flat out hit. I wouldn't trade carlos and JG for Rj but Pauly and JG I would definitely do.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think hudson and zito will b ethe cheapest to get in a trade? They have both been better than mulder in their careers. Zito is also the youngest out of them.

Hudson is a FA after 05. Zito has had control problems and hitters have had a lot of success with him the past year. IMO, Mulder is the key to their staff

Hudson is a FA after 05. Zito has had control problems and hitters have had a lot of success with him the past year. IMO, Mulder is the key to their staff

They plan on loking hudson up long term this off-season. Zito has always had ''control problems''. But usually he is able to get around them, not this year though. Mulder is good but not great, i would be happy if we got him but not really excited.

They plan on loking hudson up long term this off-season.

Teams always say they "plan" to lock up their good players long-term. Usually, they never do. Especially in Oakland's case. How many good players have they said they would lock up but they never do? Only Chavez is the only exception. That orgaization usually coops with the big losses with eigher a FA signing, or a stud from heir farm system.

i would be happy if we got him but not really excited.

I'll definitely be excited. :)

Teams always say they "plan" to lock up their good players long-term. Usually, they never do. Especially in Oakland's case. How many good players have they said they would lock up but they never do? Only Chavez is the only exception. That orgaization usually coops with the big losses with eigher a FA signing, or a stud from heir farm system. 

I'll definitely be excited. :)

I don't remember oakland saying they were gonna lock up giambi,foulke, and tejada. They came right out and sais they did not have enough money to do it. But they are gonna build around what they are strongest in and that is starting pitching. He will be resigned this off-season, he will not be delt.

I don't recall Oakland ever promising to lock up anybody besides Cahvez. In fact, they had a preseason press conference just to announce Tejada wouldn't be back the following year. Anyways, why wouldn't a Garland/Lee deal work for the A's? Because it would be too expensive for them. None of the big 3 currently make that much and getting an arb. pitcher and an $8 million dollar outfielder won't help them much at all. I think they would be interested in guys like Rowand and maybe even Marte. I would pick Zito out of the 3 because Hudson will make more money than Colon got (according to a recent article) an Mulder's command loss was vexing. I think Zito would be a more affordable long-term option out of them. It would probably take a 3 way deal to get it done since we don't match up well with the A's. Watch out for Toronto as Ricciardi is hard after Zito.

I don't recall Oakland ever promising to lock up anybody besides Cahvez. In fact, they had a preseason press conference just to announce Tejada wouldn't be back the following year. Anyways, why wouldn't a Garland/Lee deal work for the A's? Because it would be too expensive for them. None of the big 3 currently make that much and getting an arb. pitcher and an $8 million dollar outfielder won't help them much at all. I think they would be interested in guys like Rowand and maybe even Marte. I would pick Zito out of the 3 because Hudson will make more money than Colon got (according to a recent article) an Mulder's command loss was vexing. I think Zito would be a more affordable long-term option out of them. It would probably take a 3 way deal to get it done since we don't match up well with the A's. Watch out for Toronto as Ricciardi is hard after Zito.

If rowand has to go in any deal i honestly would not make it except for a few exceptions. He is one of the best players in the game for the money he is making. Also zito would get rocked here, alot.

Backman's arrival also means it's highly unlikely first baseman Richie Sexson will re-sign with the Diamondbacks. He already was incensed that the club initially offered him just a one-year deal heavily loaded with incentives tied to his staying healthy. Before 2004, Sexson averaged nearly 152 games per season in his previous five years.  If Johnson is traded, why would Sexson even want to stay?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1914399

Richie Sexson and his agent on Monday turned down the Diamondbacks' most recent contract proposal, a three-year deal believed to be worth $10 million in guaranteed money next season, but neither side was immediately prepared to end negotiations as the Nov. 11 free-agent signing period nears.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...dbside1102.html

Guest hawaiisoxfn
Does anyone else think that Carlos and Garland for Randy is not a good move by us?

It would easily be the stupidest deal KW has ever made (f*** Ritchie and all the other bombs hes had). Randy Johnson is 41. He might give us one more good season. But he might fade into mediocrity like he was in 2003, with a 4.26 ERA. Carlos Lee is a star and hes only getting better. He hits for average, hes reached 100 runs three times, he hits for power, he steals bases, and contrary to popular belief, he is very good with the glove (0 errors and 10 assists in 2004). Also, with Maggs almost definitely gone, who else would drive in our runs? Just Thomas and Konerko? Crede in the fifth spot? Does anyone else think that would be REALLY ugly? Rowand, Uribe, Thomas, Konerko and then CREDE? No way. Carlos is a vital part of this offense and we cannot afford to lose him. KW would be a fool to trade Caballo for a 41 year old pitcher who MIGHT be an ace next year.

It would easily be the stupidest deal KW has ever made (f*** Ritchie and all the other bombs hes had). Randy Johnson is 41. He might give us one more good season. But he might fade into mediocrity like he was in 2003, with a 4.26 ERA. Carlos Lee is a star and hes only getting better. He hits for average, hes reached 100 runs three times, he hits for power, he steals bases, and contrary to popular belief, he is very good with the glove (0 errors and 10 assists in 2004). Also, with Maggs almost definitely gone, who else would drive in our runs? Just Thomas and Konerko? Crede in the fifth spot? Does anyone else think that would be REALLY ugly? Rowand, Uribe, Thomas, Konerko and then CREDE? No way. Carlos is a vital part of this offense and we cannot afford to lose him. KW would be a fool to trade Caballo for a 41 year old pitcher who MIGHT be an ace next year.

:headshake

HE WAS HURT IN 2003!!! How does that 4.26 ERA compare to any of Jon Garland's years? Randy Johnson is an ace, and will be an ace on whichever team he plays on next year. I don't like the idea of trading Lee and Garland just for the fact that Carlos has a team option for 2006, and we don't have someone to step in Lee's place if he is traded (Gload is a first baseman, please keep him out of the outfield.) I would trade Konerko, Garland, and a prospect for RJ.

:headshake

HE WAS HURT IN 2003!!!  How does that 4.26 ERA compare to any of Jon Garland's years?  Randy Johnson is an ace, and will be an ace on whichever team he plays on next year.  I don't like the idea of trading Lee and Garland just for the fact that Carlos has a team option for 2006, and we don't have someone to step in Lee's place if he is traded (Gload is a first baseman, please keep him out of the outfield.)  I would trade Konerko, Garland, and a prospect for RJ.

PK, JG, and a prospect for RJ. That'd be terrible.

If one of the three A's pitchers are TRULY available...we gotz to make a play for them. Mulder may be the weakest, but if I remember correctly, he's from the Chicago area and i thought he was a Sox fan growing up (although I could be mistaken). He may pitch better for a hometown team. I would steer clear of Zito, unless we can get him relatively cheap, like two or three borderline prospects. Hudson, on the other hand, I would break the bank for. He's young, he's talented and talk about this rotation...

Hudson

Buehrle

Garcia

Contreras

Garland

Woo...let's play right now!!!

and Cash considerations with RJ. I don't see what the big deal is with getting rid of two FA to be (Paulie and Garland) for a future HOF who just came off of one his best years which included throwing a f***ing perfect game.

and Cash considerations with RJ.  I don't see what the big deal is with getting rid of two FA to be (Paulie and Garland) for a future HOF who just came off of one his best years which included throwing a f***ing perfect game.

are you nuts? borderline prospects for zito? no way in hell! this guys is young, relatively cheap and a very good LEFTY SP! he has had a couple of down years, but so what, he is only 26! i would definitley trade lee or PK straight up for him and probably would even trade rowand for him. and as for prospects, if you even considered that route, there is no doubt that you would have to start with Bmac.

are you nuts? borderline prospects for zito? no way in hell! this guys is young, relatively cheap and a very good LEFTY SP! he has had a couple of down years, but so what, he is only 26! i would definitley trade lee or PK straight up for him and probably would even trade rowand for him.  and as for prospects, if you even considered that route, there is no doubt that you would have to start with Bmac.

:huh:

Where did I say anything about Zito?

I don't think that g/f automatically means anything. You play for fly balls in Oakland due to the spacious outfield and the roomy foul territory. SOmetimes you change your ptiching for the park. I do think Zito would be very good here. I think Mulder went to Thornwood (or one of the Thorns anyways). What was with Zito's down 03? He went something like 14-14 with a 3.30 era. That's not a bad year, he just was unlucky. I watched him a lot this year and I think he can worked with to return to 20-game form. Zito for Rowand? Come on people, it's not even close.