Randy Johnson and Jon Lieber

DBAHO

Considering that Jorge Posada is a 33 year old catcher, the Yanks would be very fortunate to land Randy Johnson for him in a trade IMO.  They could go out and get an Ausmus/Matheny type to replace him.

They don't need his offense, that's for sure.  Sheffield, Rodriguez, Jeter, Matsui, etc.  They're already stacked.  Throwing Randy Johnson into their starting rotation would put them in prime position to dominate in the playoffs next year.

Playoff Rotation

1. Johnson

2. Mussina

3. Brown

4. Vazquez

Yikes.

It's been talked about that they'd looked for Varitek or Kendall. It would take so much more than Jorge Posada to get RJ. That'd just be the main blocks of the deal.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still see a 3 way deal being done.  The Yankees sound like they really want to dump Brown.  I could see us being involved by sending a couple of prospects to AZ for Brown, to round out the Posada/Unit trade.

Then our rotation is done, the Yankees get their star, and the DBacks get a name, and some guys to rebuild around.

That would be awful. What could be more of a risk than getting a forty year old rent a player...an INJURY prone old guy!

Aw man, I hope that doesn't happen.

That would be awful.  What could be more of a risk than getting a forty year old rent a player...an INJURY prone old guy! 

Old, yes. Injury prone, no. 5 out of the last 6 years he has started 35 games. Can't say that about many pitchers in baseball.

Look guys, if you want the White Sox to win the World Series THIS YEAR, then this is the deal you want Kenny to make.

We need an ACE. The Red Sox had Pedro, Schilling, and Lowe. They basically carried them through the sweep of the Cardinals.

I know that Caballo is a stud, WE all know that. I also think some of you really overestimate Jon Garland's value. Sure he's a good number 5 pitcher, however we need Randy Johnson.

But to be honest, I can't really see Garland going anywhere, IMHO Kenny would have parted with him by now.

With that being said, I can see Carlos Lee and two/three prospects going to Arizona for Randy Johnson and Danny Bautista.

I think this would be a fair deal just as long as we didn't part with Anderson/Sweeney/McCarthy. However, if we do have to part with one of them I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.

CWSOX45

Old, yes. Injury prone, no. 5 out of the last 6 years he has started 35 games. Can't say that about many pitchers in baseball.

Stats lie my friend.

Ask around, not many people consider Brown a consistent, or better yet, a consistently healthy pitcher at this point in his career. When its not the back, its "illness," when its not "illness," its something else. I, too, checked the stats.

And...2004 Salary: $15,714,286 Cha-Ching!

Stats lie my friend.

Ask around, not many people consider Brown a consistent, or better yet, a consistently healthy pitcher at this point in his career.  When its not the back, its "illness," when its not "illness," its something else.  I, too, checked the stats.

He is totally different from johnson. He misses on average of 10 starts over the last four years. I don't understand what you are trying to get at. Some players can hold up at this point in their careers, others can't. Brown is one of them that cannot.

To make it clear, i want no part of randy johnson.

Look guys, if you want the White Sox to win the World Series THIS YEAR, then this is the deal you want Kenny to make.

We need an ACE. The Red Sox had Pedro, Schilling, and Lowe. They basically carried them through the sweep of the Cardinals.

I know that Caballo is a stud, WE all know that. I also think some of you really overestimate Jon Garland's value. Sure he's a good number 5 pitcher, however we need Randy Johnson.

But to be honest, I can't really see Garland going anywhere, IMHO Kenny would have parted with him by now.

With that being said, I can see Carlos Lee and two/three prospects going to Arizona for Randy Johnson and Danny Bautista.

I think this would be a fair deal just as long as we didn't part with Anderson/Sweeney/McCarthy. However, if we do have to part with one of them I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.

CWSOX45

Agreed. You get so few chances to land a pitcher like RJ, not just a top 5 pitcher in the game today, but one of the most dominant pitchers over my lifetime. From a fan's perspective, I'd love the move -- of course there's injury risk, but there's no pitcher available that has a higher ceiling. And from KW's perspective, I think you make the deal -- even if you trade off parts of the future, you know you don't have many more chances. Hopefully, RJ's perspective isn't too unfriendly... Big gamble, big price (I can't see Arizona doing the deal w/o one of the Sox's 3 best prospects), but I think this one's worth it.

He is totally different from johnson. He misses on average of 10 starts over the last four  years. I don't understand what you are trying to get at. Some players can hold up at this point in their careers, others can't. Brown is one of them that cannot.

To make it clear, i want no part of randy johnson.

:headshake

I couldn't care less what you want.

I don't want Brown nor do I want Johnson. We are not a "Brown" or a "Johnson" away from a WS title. The price that those two would come at would be too great for a team in our position.

Regardless, RJ will not be on the Southside next year and if by some grace of God he is...I previously stated I will eat my hat.

I don't see where KW would have had the opportunity to trade him. The Sox had pretty high expectations for him coming into this year, and had for quite some time. Many thought Ozzie's confidence in him would make him a much better pitcher(though we now see that did not happen).

And he wasn't going to go anywhere at the trading deadline, unless it was for RJ. You are not going to trade one of your starting pitchers, an area you are weak at, for just anybody.

I see this being the year Garland starts being shopped, but not necessarily moved.

Another thing...I think if we have to give up Anderson/McCarthy/Sweeney in the offseason, then there are better options available. You do not trade a top 3 prospect in the offseason for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal and is 41 years old. Not even if it puts you over the top.

:headshake

I couldn't care less what you want.

I don't want Brown nor do I want Johnson.  We are not a "Brown" or a "Johnson" away from a WS title.  The price that those two would come at would be too great for a team in our position. 

Regardless, RJ will not be on the Southside next year and if by some grace of God he is...I previously stated I will eat my hat.

... I agree with you. ;) But since their were rumors once more that the sox are looking at him. Got alot of people thinking we could actually get him. Chances are slim to none on that happening though unless we really want to over pay.

Another thing...I think if we have to give up Anderson/McCarthy/Sweeney in the offseason, then there are better options available.  You do not trade a top 3 prospect in the offseason for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal and is 41 years old.  Not even if it puts you over the top.

I generally agree with that, but my agreement stops at your last sentence.

Not even if he puts you over the top.

If he DOES, in fact, put you over the top...that is, a serious contender for a pennant...pull the trigger.

Johnson does not put us over the top.

I generally agree with that, but my agreement stops at your last sentence.

Not even if he puts you over the top.

If he DOES, in fact, put you over the top...that is, a serious contender for a pennant...pull the trigger. 

Johnson does not put us over the top.

I say no, mainly because even if a move like that puts you over the top, you are still not guaranteed to win anything.

The Yankees can go out and get the All-Star team...doesn't mean they are guaranteed a thing. Injuries happen, underachieving happens, overachieving happens...lots of things can happen.

And you must note...I am only against trading our top 3 prospects in the offseason...I am not against the trade at all. I don't feel adding Johnson alone puts us over the top...but I do feel he makes us a much, much improved team pitching-wise, and that with other smaller additions, we could become a World Series contender.

I am more for hoping that New York somehow does not figure out a way to get either RJ or Hudson in pinstripes next year, and that Hudson is not available at the trading deadline, because I have no doubt we can outbid the Yankees if we need RJ.

I am more for hoping that New York somehow does not figure out a way to get either RJ or Hudson in pinstripes next year, and that Hudson is not available at the trading deadline, because I have no doubt we can outbid the Yankees if we need RJ.

Sure we could out pay them if we want to over pay immensely.

Why do you say that? I think we should be able to outbid NY, but Arizona seems to really want Posada (judging by the trade deadline rumors this past season).

That would be awful.  What could be more of a risk than getting a forty year old rent a player...an INJURY prone old guy! 

Just a hunch on my part. NYY needs a big name guy and lacks prospects. AZ wants a big name and prospects. The Sox need a front line pitcher and have prospects. The Sox have worked with Cashman very well, as evidenced by the Contreras deal and the Colon deal. These 3 teams are a good match. Who knows what will happen, but god it is fun to speculate.

Why do you say that?  I think we should be able to outbid NY, but Arizona seems to really want Posada (judging by the trade deadline rumors this past season).

I'm not sure New York is crazy enough to trade their starting catcher in the middle of a season.

Then again, DePodesta was that crazy, and his boss isn't the craziest man in America. They probably could. Maybe I'm wrong in saying what I said.