Election Night is here...

Heads22

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dow likes the election results so far too.  It is up 160 points 15 minutes into the trading day.

Well good news for Canada, the Canadian dollar also rises 4/5ths of a cent today against the American dollar. This was preditced to happen if Bush won and opposite if Kerry won. :headbang

Well good news for Canada, the Canadian dollar also rises 4/5ths of a cent today against the American dollar.  This was preditced to happen if Bush won and opposite if Kerry won. :headbang

It's a flight to quality. Many people had fled to forgein currency to hedge themselves against probable stock market losses if either Kerry had won, or the outcome was in doubt. Now that it is over, people are selling the currencies and plowing back into stocks. It is nothing unexpected.

MSNBC has now officially awarded Ohio to Bush.  That gives him 269 EVs according to them, which would lock up at least a tie nationwide.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6291779/&CM=elexbantop&CE=full

MSNBC and Fox News did this rather early. I was surprised with 100% in that CNN/CBS/ABC didn't. I mean their was no sense to seeing why you wouldn't call it.

Their were many states that went both ways with far less margin of victory that were called.

Well if you still want to call your president the leader of the free world you best think again.

America by far is the biggest contributor to the rest of the world. Without all the aid we give, their are numerous places that would be in trouble.

Gimme a break. He won this election decisively and proved that the American People are still behind him (even though a loud segment is against him).

MSNBC and Fox News did this rather early.  I was surprised with 100% in that CNN/CBS/ABC didn't.  I mean their was no sense to seeing why you wouldn't call it. 

Their were many states that went both ways with far less margin of victory that were called.

You could tell the networks were all afraid of pulling a Florida 2000. I really didn't understand what took the networks so long either.

All exit polls had the race going the other way.  They had to be cautious that the vote would swing back the other way.

Yeah but once the urban areas were mostly counted, and Kerry's vote base was depleted, there really wasn't a chance of him making up sizable deficits. It wasn't like they were talking about a couple thousand votes. Bush had a 150,000 vote lead, with 250,000 provisional ballots in exisistance, many of which will be disqualifited. Kerry would have had to had a DC-like return in a state that was 50-50. It just wasn't realistic. And it was the samething in Florida. Florida was decided when Kerry still trailed by a large talley with most of Palm, Broward, and MD counties reporting.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041103/D864IT600.html

The interesting thing about the concession, was the Edwards didn't want Kerry to do it.  He wanted to "explore every avenue"

Edwards still has a political future. Kerry doesn't.

Edwards wants to do what's best for him, his party.

Kerry wanted to do what's best for him, the country.

It's a flight to quality.  Many people had fled to forgein currency to hedge themselves against probable stock market losses if either Kerry had won, or the outcome was in doubt.  Now that it is over, people are selling the currencies and plowing back into stocks.  It is nothing unexpected.

I think you're wrong on this. Canada's currency has been steadily going upwards against the American dollar for quite a while now.

Since January 2003, the once-lowly loonie is up more than 25 per cent against the currency it's most concerned with – the American dollar.

as per cbc.ca

It was also reported before the election that if Kerry had won that the Canadian dollar was likely to at least temporarily drop in value. I would think this is the case elsewhere as well. So I guess unless Bush can turn the economy around ours will continue to rise or at least stay high.

America by far is the biggest contributor to the rest of the world.  Without all the aid we give, their are numerous places that would be in trouble.

Gimme a break.  He won this election decisively and proved that the American People are still behind him (even though a loud segment is against him).

I didn't mean to push any buttons just wanted to make the point that people from other countries have the right to debate American politics. Decisions made in America are important to all of us.

I think you're wrong on this.  Canada's currency has been steadily going upwards against the American dollar for quite a while now.

as per cbc.ca

It was also reported before the election that if Kerry had won that the Canadian dollar was likely to at least temporarily drop in value.  I would think this is the case elsewhere as well.  So I guess unless Bush can turn the economy around ours will continue to rise or at least stay high.

Thats a long term trend. That is completely different than one day of trading. The US has been devaluing for quite a while to cheapen their exports and make domestic good cheaper here as compared to imports.

My assessment of today's trading is dead on. I work on a desk that has accounts worth millions of dollars that trade forgein currencies. Not to sound like a jerk, but I talked to a couple of guys today who trade this stuff. The rise in the markets was a direct result of the monies flowing in from saftey nets such as bonds and currencies.

I didn't mean to push any buttons just wanted to make the point that people from other countries have the right to debate American politics.  Decisions made in America are important to all of us.

No worries, that comment just offended me.

We still like the Kipster and thats what matters :)

Thats a long term trend.  That is completely different than one day of trading.  The US has been devaluing for quite a while to cheapen their exports and make domestic good cheaper here as compared to imports.

My assessment of today's trading is dead on.  I work on a desk that has accounts worth millions of dollars that trade forgein currencies.  Not to sound like a jerk, but I talked to a couple of guys today who trade this stuff.  The rise in the markets was a direct result of the monies flowing in from saftey nets such as bonds and currencies.

I'll take your word for it.

America by far is the biggest contributor to the rest of the world.  Without all the aid we give, their are numerous places that would be in trouble.

Gimme a break.  He won this election decisively and proved that the American People are still behind him (even though a loud segment is against him).

We give more foreign aid than any other country yes, but does that go to the places that really need it the most? No. So what does it really accomplish if countries that don't really need it get it and others that do need it don't?

Thats a long term trend.  That is completely different than one day of trading.  The US has been devaluing for quite a while to cheapen their exports and make domestic good cheaper here as compared to imports.

My assessment of today's trading is dead on.  I work on a desk that has accounts worth millions of dollars that trade forgein currencies.  Not to sound like a jerk, but I talked to a couple of guys today who trade this stuff.  The rise in the markets was a direct result of the monies flowing in from saftey nets such as bonds and currencies.

What are interest rates in America at the moment? I would assume they're pretty low, which decreases the demand for American Currency hence why it is depreciating. Wow I remembered sumthin from MacroEconomics. Go.Me. :D :headshake

What are interest rates in America at the moment? I would assume they're pretty low, which decreases the demand for American Currency hence why it is depreciating. Wow I remembered sumthin from MacroEconomics. Go.Me.  :D  :headshake

Fed Funds are at 1.5% right now, which is at historically unheard of numbers, even after two .25% rate increases by the federal reserve bank.

More than anything I really believe it is an intentional devaluing to make imports more expensive, and to make our good cheaper overseas. They really want to protect the American worker, and since the WTO keeps ruling against all the US protection methods, this is the easiest legal way that the US sees to keep competitive against the flood of cheaper products.

Edwards still has a political future.  Kerry doesn't.

Edwards wants to do what's best for him, his party.

Kerry wanted to do what's best for him, the country.

Speaking of Edwards, I read somewhere that a big factor in the flu vaccine crisis was a lawsuit in which Edwards was involved.

Allegedly, 90% of flu vaccines used in the U.S. were once made by American companies, who were doing it essentially as public service, seeing as the profit margin was tiny. Well, some guy in North Carolina got a flu vaccine one year, and then wound up catching the flu. He sued the vaccine manufacturer for millions and won, and after that, American companies all but stopped producing flu vaccines due to the risk of lawsuits. Since then, we've had to buy flu vaccines from other countries, where they have anti-frivolous lawsuit policies in place. The N.C. guy's lawyer in that case was John Edwards.

Anyone else hear this? Or is this some urban myth or something?

Speaking of Edwards, I read somewhere that a big factor in the flu vaccine crisis was a lawsuit in which Edwards was involved.

Allegedly, 90% of flu vaccines used in the U.S. were once made by American companies, who were doing it essentially as public service, seeing as the profit margin was tiny.  Well, some guy in North Carolina got a flu vaccine one year, and then wound up catching the flu.  He sued the vaccine manufacturer for millions and won, and after that, American companies all but stopped producing flu vaccines due to the risk of lawsuits.  Since then, we've had to buy flu vaccines from other countries, where they have anti-frivolous lawsuit policies in place.  The N.C. guy's lawyer in that case was John Edwards.

Anyone else hear this?  Or is this some urban myth or something?

Yeah Wong it's an Urban Myth. I got an email about it a couple weeks ago and researched it....Snopes found it false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/flushot.asp

Yeah Wong it's an Urban Myth.  I got an email about it a couple weeks ago and researched it....Snopes found it false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/flushot.asp

That would have been my guess too. If Edwards had any connection to that stuff, you know it would have been publicized, big time.