question about voting

LosMediasBlancas

convicts...no. They take all privileges away (except for the working out, getting your education, making license plates privileges).

Ex-Cons...i think they are. Once you've served your time, you are allowed all of the privileges of an American citizen.

I believe that's the way it is.

convicts...no.  They take all privileges away (except for the working out, getting your education, making license plates privileges).

Ex-Cons...i think they are.  Once you've served your time, you are allowed all of the privileges of an American citizen.

I believe that's the way it is.

Not in all states I thought.... maybe Apu or someone could give more accurate info? I am pretty sure in FL people who have been convicted of a felony aren't allowed to vote again.

There are a few states (less than five) where Convicts are allowed to vote. The only national standard for voting is you must be a citizen age 18 or higher. The convict, ex-con standard varies by state.

If you are an ex-con and you'd like to vote - contact your local board of elections and ask if you are eligible (assuming you are registered).

Is it true that if when you go to vote.. if you have an outstanding parking ticket, or any type of fine due.. they will not allow you to vote and arrest you..??  :huh

Go try, Steff. If we don't here from you for a few days, we'll know the answer. ;)

Guest hawaiisoxfn

Convicted felons cannot vote as far as I know. They also cant carry weapons, ever. Some are pardoned, and thus they get most of their rights back, but the Second Amendment is gone forever once you are convicted of a felony. And thats not a bad idea, either.

People in prison currently cannot vote.

However, there are certain states that when you serve your time and are released, you can get your voting rights back. [and if you move to another state after that, you are eligible to vote in that state] Jeb Bush found that out when numerous lawsuits in the 90's and after the 2000 debocle where he tried to deny people in that situation voting rights -- and the courts said they were eligible voters every time.