Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit Tigers

First base: Darin Erstad, Anaheim Angels

Second base: Bret Boone, Seattle Mariners

Third base: Eric Chavez, Oakland Athletics

Shortstop: Derek Jeter, New York Yankees

Outfield: Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle Mariners

Outfield: Torii Hunter, Minnesota Twins

Outfield: Vernon Wells, Toronto Blue Jays

He adapted to first base in an instant. By the start of the season he was already the best, travis lee would be close if not better though.

erstad and konkerko had just about the same fielding percentage and konerko had a better range factor and better in just about all the stats. i'm sure other players were better than erstad too

Where's the love for Miguel Tejada?

Best range factor in the AL(5.000), 3rd best zone rating(.868, behind Valentin, .878, and Crosby, .870), and he turned the most DPs(118)

Who cares that he had the 3rd most errors in the league and that he had only the 9th best fielding percentage in the league...you have to look past those.

That's terrible. Shame on those who vote for these things.

FYI...Derek Jeter had a range factor of 4.460, good for 8th in the AL, a zone rating of .847, good for 6th in the league, turned 96 DPs, 5th best in the AL(PLEASE CONSIDER....Angel Berroa had the 6th most DPs turned, 94, in 21 FEWER games)had 13 errors and had the 4th best fielding percentage of .981.

Surely, not a bad year defensively...but he did not have a gold glove year defensively either. Once again, that's terrible. Shame on those who vote for these things.

Edited by witesoxfan

erstad and konkerko had just about the same fielding percentage and konerko had a better range factor and better in just about all the stats. i'm sure other players were better than erstad too

Konerko ranks dead last in zone rating. I am thinking for a first baseman zone rating is more important than range factor. I will agree with you that konerko is a top 3 1st baseman in the american league.

Konerko ranks dead last in zone rating. I am thinking for a first baseman zone rating is more important than range factor. I will agree with you that konerko is a top 3 1st baseman in the american league.

ok i'm don't know a lot about zone rating and that stuff, so i'll take your word for it. looking at all the stats, i'd have to say Tino Martinez should have won.

Didn't he win one in CF?  It's all based on reputation. :headshake

Maybe but from what I saw of Darrin he deserved it. The times I saw Erstad play first he was absolutely fantastic there. I personally think he desreved it. Derek Jeter winning is bulls***, imo.

What I don't get is why two CF's won...

Thats like giving the infield gold glove to 2 thirdbasemen.

No it's not. 3B is completely different from SS, 2B, and 1B while CF is not nearly as different from LF and RF.

The only argument you can make is that you give 2 GG's to any type of middle infielder...SS and 2B are the most similar positions on the field other then the OF.