Ken Rosenthal Reports:

3E8

The A's don't need a closer.

They have a young man named Jairo Garcia, he will be given a chance at the job.

He has electrifying stuff...

CWSOX45

They will not just hand him the job. He will start off as either a mop-up pitcher or 6th inning pitcher and work his way up the ladder.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keep laughing.

Youk for Hudson would not get it done. What else would Boston give up for Hudson? They have very little to trade to Oakland in return.

Beane is one of the best GMs in the league for a reason. You think he'd take JUST Youk for Hudson?

Beane knows you buy low, sell high...he's one of the best at it. It's very easy to see why he'd accept a Konerko plus others for Hudson. He's going to lose Hudson regardless of what he does this year, unless Hudson would take a major pay decrease, and he wouldn't, and he could get a solid package of players for Konerko, considering Konerko is at his very highest value right now.

True, but I dont think there really going to try and adress the closer's role with somone waiting in the wings. Just dont think there going to put the $$ into that postion. Im with CWSOX45, Him and I have both watched Jario pitch, down in SINGLE A, LAST SEASON, and the guy is a stud. Im sure he will finish out the year as the closer.

I can see that happening but they may look for someone who can do the job until he is ready. Someone that will be willing to give up the closers role for him.

CW45...Julio would not be brought in to close. Rather, he'd be brought in to just be a reliever.

I may be wrong...but I believe they still have Dotel under contract, along with Garcia waiting in the wings...and Julio would just further solidify an improving bullpen. I am not sure Bradford's situation, but I imagine they will want him back if he is a FA. If they can have a core pen built around Dotel-Garcia-Julio-Bradford, they will be in very good shape.

They will not just hand him the job. He will start off as either a mop-up pitcher or 6th inning pitcher and work his way up the ladder.

I'd normally agree with you, however this time I don't. Here's why:

I worked for the Kane County Cougars this summer (A's Low-A affiliate) I was fortunate enough to meet Eric Kubota (A's Director of Scouting). At that time he told me Beane wanted him up in the Bigs before the end of the year, and would most likely be given the closers role for the 2005 season. Sure enough he was in the Big Leagues a month later.

Maybe we can get Jairo as a throw in in this deal.... :rolly

CWSOX45

Youk for Hudson would not get it done. What else would Boston give up for Hudson?  They have very little to trade to Oakland in return.

Beane is one of the best GMs in the league for a reason.  You think he'd take JUST Youk for Hudson?

People trying to call me out for anything and everything definitly gets annoying, but I said Youkilis and more for Hudson and don't tell me the Red Sox dont have some hot commodities in the minor leagues because I along with Billy Beane think otherwise.

Also, I don't see your point with the buy low/sell high philosophy that Billy Beane has. He trades Hudson who had the worst year hes had in his career on top of being often injured for Paul Konerko who had the best year hes had in his career.

Am I missing the point? I don't see how taking Konerko for Hudson fits that buy low/sell high mold that Billy Beane is known for doing.

Conjecture...plain and simple.

If Kenny is really serious about changing the dynamic of this ballclub, he would take a long and hard look at this deal.

As much as I like Paulie, he represents exactly what this team is trying to get away from. I know he picked it up big-time this season, but remember, he's a pull-hitting HR guy...something Kenny wants to get away from.

This deal would present Kenny an opportunity to assemble the type of team he has been preaching to us. A core of solid, contact hitting batters (assuming we sign Vizquel, start Gload, and the like) and a top major league rotation.

Buehrle-Hudson-Garcia-Contreras-Garland

"SouthSide Pitchmen?"

People trying to call me out for anything and everything definitly gets annoying, but I said Youkilis and more for Hudson and don't tell me the Red Sox dont have some hot commodities in the minor leagues because I along with Billy Beane think otherwise.

Also, I don't see your point with the buy low/sell high philosophy that Billy Beane has.  He trades Hudson who had the worst year hes had in his career on top of being often injured for Paul Konerko who had the best year hes had in his career.

Am I missing the point?  I don't see how taking Konerko for Hudson fits that buy low/sell high mold that Billy Beane is known for doing.

I don't know enough about the Red Sox farm system, so you'd have to clue me in on the situation...everything I've heard and read says that the Sawks farm system is dry. I'm sure there are hot commodities, every farm system has a few of them...that doesn't mean they have more then the White Sox or Yankees or some other team that could make an offer to Boston.

Also...there is enough interest in Hudson that his value being very low does not mean a hell of a lot. His value would be low regardless of the season he had last year, this being the last year of his contract. And there is no one saying that Beane HAS to trade Hudson...he can trade Mulder and get good value for him too along with being able to trade Zito and getting value for him too. This is similar to the RJ scenario where many people think RJs value will not be high, but in reality is, due to the fact that Arizona does NOT have to trade him.

Another thing...I disagree with Hudson having the worst year of his career. He was a little banged up this year, and didn't have as good a season as he has had in years past. He won 20 games in his second full season, sure...he also got offensive support that year. His ERA in 2000 was also over 4.00, his WHIP was around 1.24, his K/BB was around 2, and he gave up over a homer per start(about 1.06 HR/9). In 2004, his ERA was 3.53, his WHIP about 1.25, his K/BB of 2.5, and he gave up 1 homer every 3 starts(about .38 HR/9 innings...that's 8 homers in 188 2/3 innings pitched). What's insane about that is that he has gotten better about allowing homers in every year of his career...his homers allowed has decreased every year he's been in the majors(1.06 HR/9 in 00, .77 in 01, .71 in 02, .56 in 03, and as I said before, .38 in 04). His year was not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

This fits into the buy low, sell high philosophy due to the fact that Hudson's value is not nearly as low as you make it out to be, and trading Konerko after acquiring him would be in fact selling high and buying low. They have no use for Konerko other then to trade him. I have no doubt that they could be looking at Baltimore in getting Konerko...you get Konerko plus some very solid prospects for Hudson, and you then ship Konerko to Baltimore for Julio and Hairston. Hairston takes over in RF or 2B or wherever they need him, and he can be put in the lineup where they need him, and Julio adds a much needed arm to the bullpen.

Hatteberg and durazo are not free agents so this does not exactly make much sense. If this deal did happen some how konerko would be lucky to hit 25 home runs next year.

Even though I've heard Durazo is a Beane favorite, if he has to be moved, he will be moved in a deal. That's the only way I can see the A's wanting Konerko.

White Sox and Athletics are supposedly in talks about trading Paul Konerko for Tim Hudson.

EDIT:  This was a radio piece, don't ask me for links.

Oh baby, I'd give up a top prospect as well in this deal. I'd love Tim Hudson. This is a type of move I'd definately approve. Plus he's a groundball pitcher and I"d think he'd fit in well in Chicago.

That would be a tremendous deal for the Sox.  However, with PK being a FA after this year, and Hudson also, I'd assume we'd have to give up some minor league talent also.  However, Hudson is an extreme sinkerballer, which would be great for the Cell.

WE Would have to give up minor league talent? Hudson is not worth Paul Konerko even up so why would we get robbed more y adding minor league talent on top of it? Hudson was not the A's ace last season at all, but PK hit 41 homer runs to lead all AL 1Bmen.

Also, I don't see your point with the buy low/sell high philosophy that Billy Beane has.  He trades Hudson who had the worst year hes had in his career on top of being often injured for Paul Konerko who had the best year hes had in his career.

Am I missing the point?  I don't see how taking Konerko for Hudson fits that buy low/sell high mold that Billy Beane is known for doing.

I'm on your side! Why do we insist on valuing our players so low?

WE Would have to give up minor league talent? Hudson is not worth Paul Konerko even up so why would we get robbed more y adding minor league talent on top of it? Hudson was not the A's ace last season at all, but PK hit 41 homer runs to lead all AL 1Bmen.

What would Konerko's numbers been if he was not hitting at the Cell last season in our line-up? Pitching beats hitting every time. The last few years should have proved that. ;)

I am sure you have been told this before, and if not go and look at konerko's splits.

No offense to PK lovers, but there are a lot of hitters in MLB that can do what Konerko did last year. However, Hudson is one of the marquee pitchers in all of baseball. As good as PK is, he's still a pretty one-dimensional hitter at a pretty easy position to find a quality player. Ask any MLB expert, and they would tell you that Hudson is valued way higher than PK is.

Conjecture...plain and simple. 

If Kenny is really serious about changing the dynamic of this ballclub, he would take a long and hard look at this deal. 

As much as I like Paulie, he represents exactly what this team is trying to get away from.  I know he picked it up big-time this season, but remember, he's a pull-hitting HR guy...something Kenny wants to get away from. 

This deal would present Kenny an opportunity to assemble the type of team he has been preaching to us.  A core of solid, contact hitting batters (assuming we sign Vizquel, start Gload, and the like) and a top major league rotation.

Buehrle-Hudson-Garcia-Contreras-Garland

"SouthSide Pitchmen?"

Apparently we didn't watch the same Paul Konerko. The guy did everything he was asked to do and more as a team player. He went to right for the single when needed and was unselfish to a fault. While others padded their stats PK was a team player.

The Red Sox, other then Hanley Ramirez, pretty much have garbage in the minor leagues. And what makes you think Billy Beane thinks you guys have top prospects?

This gets me way to excited so it won't happen. This would be absolutely perfect if we can center Pauly in a deal for Huddy, get a top of the rotation stud, trade one of are all or nothing guys, let Ross take over, but like I said this would make me and probably everyone else way to happy, so I doubt it happens but I really, really hope I'm wrong.

What would Konerko's numbers been if he was not hitting at the Cell last season in our line-up? Pitching beats hitting every time. The last few years should have proved that.  ;)

You play 81 games at the cell. You build your team around your park. Konerko did good.

You play 81 games at the cell. You build your team around your park. Konerko did good.

Yes.....but we also suck ass every year on the road and that can't continue to happen if we want to win this division, I love Pauly but he was a huge part of our road problem.