Ken Rosenthal Reports:

3E8

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hudson would be ok but Im scared who will we give up in our minors the way Beane has ripped us on the past. I hope its Mulder though bcoz he's a great left hand starter that will definitely fit our rotation. By the way I heard on the radio that top of our wish list is a top of the order LHP/starter.

Nope

...And you know this, how exactly? :huh: Like Cheat said, he'll probably start more games than Garcia this year...

But back to the topic - I can only see this deal if it's Konerko and ........ for Hudson, with Konerko then being turned around and dealt to another team. Baltimore makes sense for them.

Wow, that'd be awesome though.

Like I said, it should be one hell of an offseason.

Oh come on, you of all people thinking that?

Abe Alvarez, Jon Papelbon, Jon Lester, Manny Delcarmen, Hanley Ramirez, Brandon Moss, Dustin Pedroia, Kelly Shoppach, Chad Spann, David Murphy, Jeremy West or even the Michael Rozier kid.

There might not be an overflow of Reeds, Andersons, and Sweeney's but theres definitly some future major leaguers in this farm system.

palehosefan will tell you. ;o

Remember, I tend to have a stance to not talking about guys that are still rather far from making the show. I rarely tout rookie league guys and people have to be very special before I highly doubt them in low A.

I don't doubt Pedroia. I think he's a guy that has the heart and mechanics to be very good. He plays the game right, is scrappy and is good, even though he's limited physically.

Abe Alvarez is kind of an et. I really don't know if he's all that good. I think he may have a shot, but I say the same thing about Felix Diaz and I don't think the White Sox have a top farm system. I think some of the pieces are their that they should climb in the next few years, but its still a major wait and see with them.

I think they probably rate somewhere near the White Sox, except they don't quite have the Bmac, Anderson, Sweeney in the system. They do have Hanley though and he's as legit as it gets.

I just don't think they rate top 5 or so like you insinuated.

Yup, Mulder. He actaully said he doesnt really want to pitch for the Sox, because he would have to buy so many tickets for friends and family.  :P  But I remember when Dan Patrick was here for the All-Star Game, Mulder was on and said how he was a total Sox fan growing up, and it would be cool to pitch for them.

Mulder is who I'd want the most on the SouthSide of their big three. But I'd have to think that they will do what they can to keep him. The question to me is whether its Zito or Hudson.

I'll take any of the three for Konerko :). However I do think Lee would make more sense in Oakland since Hatty and Durazo are their (I don't know if Durazo is gone or not like someone mentioned).

Remember, I tend to have a stance to not talking about guys that are still rather far from making the show.  I rarely tout rookie league guys and people have to be very special before I highly toubt them in low A.

I don't doubt Pedroia.  I think he's a guy that has the heart and mechanics to be very good.  He plays the game right, is scrappy and is good, even though he's limited physically.

Abe Alvarez is kind of an et.  I really don't know if he's all that good.  I think he may have a shot, but I say the same thing about Felix Diaz and I don't think the White Sox have a top farm system.  I think some of the pieces are their that they should climb in the next few years, but its still a major wait and see with them. 

I think they probably rate somewhere near the White Sox, except they don't quite have the Bmac, Anderson, Sweeney in the system.  They do have Hanley though and he's as legit as it gets. 

I just don't think they rate top 5 or so like you insinuated.

Great post.

Zito will be the easiest to get, thats for sure.

His peripherals also make him the worst fit for USCF too. His GO-AO ratio has been around .80 combined over the last 3 years or so...that does not bode well for pitching in a pitcher friendly ball park. That could put his ERA at around 5.00.

With that curve ball I completely predict Zito will react positively and pitch much better next year. I don't know what happened with Zito, but he's still a good pitcher. I do agree that his numbers should go up if he pitched half of his games at the Cell, but any of the big 3's numbers will go up leaving Oakland (a pitchers park).

I'll say it again Qwert... You don't trade people like Paul Konerko. You keep him and get your pitching via the FA route. Hudson is not worth Paul Konerko.

Would you have traded Konerko for Hudson one year ago today? Most people would have killed KW if he passed up that deal.

A few things:

1. A deal involving PK and Hudson makes sense [though a bullpen guy or two, [Diaz and Munoz] would also likely be included. Arthur Rhodes and his $6+ mill, 2 yr contract could be included for salary relief. In Durazo and Hatteberg, they have 2 LH hitters for 1b and DH. One of those two should be dealt. No way will the A's pay a set up man $6 + mill. Yet a guy like Rhodes could help ease the strain on Marte and help Cotts develop better.

2. PK [i think] is from the California area [at least he came up in the LA organ.] The A's could sign him after '05 to a deal.

3. Few teams have the big bats to give the A's. [the yanks have bats but guys who are signed to outrageous long term deals. PK's contrat would be off the book in a yr.

4. the A's have few impact bats coming up from the minors anytime soon. Swisher may be decent but not an all star. Getting a proven bat for a SP who they can't resign to a long term deal, instead of lettinghim go for draft picks, is what the A's want. It's just a matter of what kind of big bat other teams have. Few teams could match the sox bats of PK and Carlos Lee in a trade

the one thing I'm taking from this is that I feel the White Sox will make a big deal involving a pitcher this offseason. It's a week out from the world series, and ESPN and Rosenthal (Who's with the Sporting News I believe) have the Sox mentioned in deals for Randy Johnson and Hudson. I would say that is a good sign that KW is actually attempting to do something, and I know a lot of people doubted the White Sox would get the Garcia deal done. (I know some people don't like that deal, but the White Sox weren't the only team after Garcia, so they did out deal some other teams).

It should get interesting, I also think the Vizquel deal will get done early in the offseason

the one thing I'm taking from this is that I feel the White Sox will make a big deal involving a pitcher this offseason.  It's a week out from the world series, and ESPN and Rosenthal (Who's with the Sporting News I believe) have the Sox mentioned in deals for Randy Johnson and Hudson.  I would say that is a good sign that KW is actually attempting to do something, and I know a lot of people doubted the White Sox would get the Garcia deal done.  (I know some people don't like that deal, but the White Sox weren't the only team after Garcia, so they did out deal some other teams). 

It should get interesting, I also think the Vizquel deal will get done early in the offseason

I hope so too, I just hope it's a #3 guy and not an ace. I think an ace would cost us too much of our offense (which sucked last year to begin with ), a #3 guy would be enough help.

I hope so too, I just hope it's a #3 guy and not an ace. I think an ace would cost us too much of our offense (which sucked last year to begin with ), a #3 guy would be enough help.

Would Sox fans be willing to give up either Lee or PK for a #3 SP? I don't think so. Both are worth more than a #3. If the Sox could get a #1 or a #2 SP by trading some offense they should go for it. I'd rather they do that than sign a medicore SP to a 3 yr deal who is more likely to flop [and not give the Sox innings] than an "ace" type pitcher.

I'm willing to take a chance that Konerko doesn't put those numbers up again. If he does, good for him, as long as we get something back for him, I'll be happy. Hudson would be enough for me.

I agree Hudson would be a nice pickup for Pk or even Lee. He's the type of intense competitor and work horse that would compliment Buehrle very nicely.

Even though i haven't read moneyball...I would think that you would need someone to drive in those runs. Chavez is that kinda guy, but I wouldn't trust Durazo or Hatteberg to continue to put up RBI numbers. You need someone other than Chavez. konerko would be that guy. I think both sides would have to offer a little more than straight up, whether it be money or prospects.

What about Konerko plus a prospect and the Sox pick up 2/3 of his salary for Hudson and one or two above average prospects?