Ken Rosenthal Reports:

3E8

I hope so too, I just hope it's a #3 guy and not an ace. I think an ace would cost us too much of our offense (which sucked last year to begin with ), a #3 guy would be enough help.

Our offense sucked??? :huh:

Even in the second half we scored runs nearly as well as anyone, except the Red Sox and perhaps the Yankees. How can you look at the number of runs scored and then our team era and say that our offense was the problem?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our offense sucked???  :huh:

Even in the second half we scored runs nearly as well as anyone, except the Red Sox and perhaps the Yankees.  How can you look at the number of runs scored and then our team era and say that our offense was the problem?

I believe the Sox tied the Yankees for most HR's in the AL this year, and the Sox's staff ERA was the second worst in baseball.

Hudson for Konerko.................YES!

Even in the second half we scored runs nearly as well as anyone, except the Red Sox and perhaps the Yankees.  How can you look at the number of runs scored and then our team era and say that our offense was the problem?

I think the numbers are kinda deceiving - it seemed like the Sox lost a lot of low-scoring games and then blew somebody out once or twice a week.

I could be wrong, but I think that's how they played, especially later in the season.

I think the numbers are kinda deceiving - it seemed like the Sox lost a lot of low-scoring games and then blew somebody out once or twice a week.

I could be wrong, but I think that's how they played, especially later in the season.

It felt that way, but it's not really true. I started a thread on this topic late in the season, and I think Jason had something similar in his blog, about how often the Sox scored 3 runs or fewer compared to other teams. Even in the second half, we didn't have a low-scoring offense more often than other teams.

you're right, it didn't suck,.... not overall, but it was very frustrating to see how they were THAT close to being so much better. They sucked at doing some very fundamental things at critical times that should have resulted in more wins and propelled them into the post season.

I looked up the stats in one of my first blog articles and based it off 3 runs or less and compared them with hte other top teams in baseball.

The Sox were higher, but if you took out that stretch without Maggs/Frank where the Sox offense flat out took a dump you'd find out that they would of essentially been quite near the rest of the other top offenses in scoring 3 runs or less.

Our offense was one of the 5 best in baseball and if we lost Konerko it would be a loss, but at the same time, adding a top of the order threat would at least help spell it out.

Even though i haven't read moneyball...I would think that you would need someone to drive in those runs.  Chavez is that kinda guy, but I wouldn't trust Durazo or Hatteberg to continue to put up RBI numbers.  You need someone other than Chavez.  konerko would be that guy.  I think both sides would have to offer a little more than straight up, whether it be money or prospects. 

What about Konerko plus a prospect and the Sox pick up 2/3 of his salary for Hudson and one or two above average prospects?

The A's could throw in Arthur Rhodes and his $6 + mill owed over the next two yrs, which they'd like to get rid of. The sox could add prospects or Willie Harris.

I don't want to see Rocky Rhodes.

Say a deal is in the works with the A's. To sweeten the deal, the sox would have to take on unwanted salary, pay cash or give up prospects. Rhodes was miserable as a closer. Yet has always been stellar in setup. He'd lighten the load on Marte and Cotts both, and would improve the 'pen.

Boers and Bernstein are actually giving the White Sox a little air time today. They're basically saying that they believe KW actually wants all these top guys (Beltran, RJ, etc...) but doubt that it will actually materialize. But they do say that the White Sox can improve their team greatly by adding what they labeled something like "professional" ball players at reasonable prices such as Koskie, Eli Morrerro (sp?), and even Nomar to play 2b if that rumor is true.

Nothing specific about the Hudson rumor, but they do say that the Sox need to get rid of "base cloggers" and Konerko is the most obvious one with the most trade value, even putting Lee at 1st is an option.

Boers and Bernstein are actually giving the White Sox a little air time today.  They're basically saying that they believe KW actually wants all these top guys (Beltran, RJ, etc...) but doubt that it will actually materialize.  But they do say that the White Sox can improve their team greatly by adding what they labeled something like "professional" ball players at reasonable prices such as Koskie, Eli Morrerro (sp?), and even Nomar to play 2b if that rumor is true.

Nothing specific about the Hudson rumor, but they do say that the Sox need to get rid of "base cloggers" and Konerko is the most obvious one with the most trade value, even putting Lee at 1st is an option.

Um, Nomar at 2B??? Only way that has a remote chance is if we sign another SS too. Uribe would be 2B then IMHO.

I beg to differ... I think that is being realistic and knowing your best players. Now maybe we should look at trading Crede for Hudson? I like Joe a lot also, but that makes more sense than your best slugger.

Absurd...completely absurd.

I don't even know what to say.

You don't approve the trade of Paulie for Hudson.

Yet, you think...... :lol: Crede for Hudson!!! :lol: :lol:

You need to put your favortism aside and take a look at what you just posted. We've all grown accustomed to guys like Paulie...but, c'mon...there will be others.

You can find different players to get attached to...there is a lot of talented players out there that don't play on the SouthSide of Chicago...open your eyes.

Don't think this needs a whole thread, but ESPN Radio 1000 just said on their 2:00 p.m. update that KW is hearing Beltran is interested in the White Sox... again, this is not a real big story, so I'm not starting a thread

That doesn't surprise me at all. In fact it would have shocked me if he ruled out the Sox. The whole Boras system is to get as many teams as possible involved so that they run up the bidding. Plus it gives him an opportunity to embelish offers, like he did with ARod and Texas when he got Hicks to bid $50 million against himself.

Don't think this needs a whole thread, but ESPN Radio 1000 just said on their 2:00 p.m. update that KW is hearing Beltran is interested in the White Sox... again, this is not a real big story, so I'm not starting a thread

Of course he's interested in the White Sox...let the bidding war begin!!!

Just one more team to up the value. Good luck to you Carlos...you're gonna need it!!!

Of course he's interested in the White Sox...let the bidding war begin!!! 

Just one more team to up the value.  Good luck to you Carlos...you're gonna need it!!!

Totally agree with the concept of throwing team names out there by Boras, that's why I don't think this is big news at all

I'll disagree. Lee is more talented, yet I question [as does Ozzie and KW] Lee's heart and desire.

I still really do not agree with that, he goes after everything hit his way as hard as anyone. He runs the bases as hard as he can when he is not watching his homeruns. He is a bad base runner but it sure looks to me that is is trying hard as hell. Just because he may be slow at times, doesn't mean he no heart and desire.

I still really do not agree with that, he goes after everything hit his way as hard as anyone. He runs the bases as hard as he can when he is not watching his homeruns. He is a bad base runner but it sure looks to me that is is trying hard as hell. Just because he may be slow at times, doesn't mean he no heart and desire.

I'm not talking about Lee seeming slow. I'm talking about his work ethic, heart and desire for playing baseball. I think KW and Ozzie have hinted at this. Both said Lee "knows what he needs to work on" this past year. Seeing how he didn't make any errors, had a great offensive yr [except for his HR swings], and was very consistent overall, they never said Lee was a building block. He should be, but something is probably happening behind the scenes that we fans don't know about here.

No offense to PK lovers, but there are a lot of hitters in MLB that can do what Konerko did last year.  However, Hudson is one of the marquee pitchers in all of baseball.  As good as PK is, he's still a pretty one-dimensional hitter at a pretty easy position to find a quality player.  Ask any MLB expert, and they would tell you that Hudson is valued way higher than PK is.

This is true. BTW, the only reason Beane would trade Hudson is because he will be a free agent at the end of the year, and he would like to get something for him. It makes no sense that this something is Konerko, considering he also is a free agent at the end of the year. I believe this to be BS.

This is true. BTW, the only reason Beane would trade Hudson is because he will be a free agent at the end of the year, and he would like to get something for him. It makes no sense that this something is Konerko, considering he also is a free agent at the end of the year. I believe this to be BS.

Not correct. They have a very good staff, but can't hit for a lick. You trade pitching (which is plentiful in Oakland) for the best hitting 1B in the AL last season. It would be an even bigger package than just one for one though.

Not correct. They have a very good staff, but can't hit for a lick. You trade pitching (which is plentiful in Oakland) for the best hitting 1B in the AL last season. It would be an even bigger package than just one for one though.

Konerko had a great year, no question about it, but in today's game he is overpaid at $8.5 million + and extra $500,000 if he is traded. Tim Hudson, if traded, will be traded for young, cheap top of the line prospects, who Beane can hold on to for several seasons, not overpaid players in the final year of their contracts. Oakland has won with pitching, they aren't going to trade one of their aces for a 1b/DH. It ain't happening.

I'm talking about his work ethic, heart and desire for playing baseball. I think KW and Ozzie have hinted at this. Both said Lee "knows what he needs to work on" this past year.

Who knows what they meant (maybe he needs to work on his OBP or reading balls better in the OF). It may have just been a motivational tool they're using. But even if they do think Lee lacks heart, that doesn't mean they're right.

He's obviously worked hard on his defense. If he really lacked desire he would still be a bad OF'er. He's not. Like Qwerty said, his on-field effort breaking up double plays and going after balls in the OF is as good as anyone's on the team. Also, I've never seen him start the season out of shape, and I'm not sure that's true of Konerko (just a personal opinion, with no hard evidence). Everett, who is apparently a "grinder", definitely was out of shape last year (I know he was injured, but I have a hard time believing there wasn't something he could have done to not get fat). Anecdotally, the thing that sticks with me is that Lee is the one that reminded Manuel to pinch-run for someone in one of the last Twins games in 2003. He seems to care about the game to me.

Lee does make mistakes on the bases, and I'm sure he has some mental lapses in other parts of his game. But the bottom line for me is that he looks like he plays hard, wants to improve and win, and he defintely produces as much as anyone on the team not named Thomas.