Ken Rosenthal Reports:

3E8

He is gonna be 29 next season, a player usually peaks between the ages of 28-32. I am not saying he will not improve, but the chances of it are less likely.

He'll be 29 before Spring training starts and yes, your right about his chances slimmer, but your wrong about the chances of him improving. There's always room for a player to improve on a specific area. His stats are still not consistant enough to make a valid judgment on his numbers for the next season. Like I said earlier he reminds me of Carlos. I bet nobody in here could guess how many K's CLee would get this comming season. The same goes for Byrnes. He just had his first full season in the bigs (I count 500 ab as credible) He'll have time, and the same goes for Crede (or Cruddy as you like to call him A.J :lol:)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I got to thinking about my post a little more...does anyone think there is any way that we could get Byrnes and Hudson for Lee and prospects without having to kill ourselves for the future?

KW wants grinders...guys who dont do anything too special or make things flashy, but they get the job done and they do it well.  When I think of that, I think of 3 players off the topf of my head...Darin Erstad, Aaron Rowand, and Eric Byrnes.  There are others too, those are just the 3 that come to mind initially right now for me.

I also know that Beane does not like to give up good, cheap players...that's exactly what Byrnes is.

However, Beane would have value in acquiring Carlos Lee, especially with the A's lack of a RH power bat.  And Carlos Lee is not as expensive as Konerko is(he makes $1 mill less, if both were to be traded). 

Is a package of Lee and maybe 2-3 better prospects(maybe a pitcher or two and an OFer) good enough for Hudson and Byrnes? 

I'd imagine Byrnes could step into the leadoff role then(though he really could hit almost anywhere in the order).  He gets on base enough that it would be worthwhile to have him there, and he can steal bases pretty well too(considering that he stole 17 for an A's team that had only 8 people steal a base ball year, including Byrnes, and had a combined total of 37 stolen bases.  He stole almost half of the A's bases this year.  He was also only caught 1 time stealing...so he steals bases pretty well.  If that were to occur, then Vizquel could be brought in and he would be put in a spot where he would be more comfortable in the order at the #2 spot, Rowand would be able to move down to the 5 or 6 spot in the lineup, and Everett would be in LF, where I know we are all more comfortable with him(some, including I, do not want him here at all...but I'd much rather have him in LF then CF or RF).  You can still trade Kong, of course too, with Gload on the bench, and cheap replacements galore.

no way in hell beane is stupid enough to give us hudson and byrnes for lee and prospects. the only way this happens is if we give up some ridiculous package, something like anderson, Bmac, and lee for those two. and that would be dumb. I just dont understand why you seem to think that beane will trade byrnes? hes relatively young, cheap and the exact kind of player beane likes. and if he wanted a power hitter im sure he could get one straight up for any of the big three, i.e. posada for any of the three, maybe vernon wells for any of the three, probably PK for any of the three, etc.