Ugeth Urbina

JDsDirtySox

The Tigers must decide by this Saturday whether or not to pick up Ugeth Urbina's 4 million dollar option for next season. Urbina is still involved in the search for his mother who was kidnapped toward the end of the season. If for some reason the Tigers don't pick up his option, I have to believe we would be one of the front runners to land him (because of his relationship with Ozzie). I fully expect the Tigers to pick up Urbina's option, but the longer it goes, the more I get my hopes up.

The Tigers must decide by this Saturday whether or not to pick up Ugeth Urbina's 4 million dollar option for next season.  Urbina is still involved in the search for his mother who was kidnapped toward the end of the season.  If for some reason the Tigers don't pick up his option, I have to believe we would be one of the front runners to land him (because of his relationship with Ozzie).  I fully expect the Tigers to pick up Urbina's option, but the longer it goes, the more I get my hopes up.

Everything i have read is saying that there is no reason to believe they won't pick up his option. Expect him to be a tiger next year, but i also expect him to be dealt at the trading deadline.

Everything i have read is saying that there is no reason to believe they won't pick up his option. Expect him to be a tiger next year, but i also expect him to be dealt at the trading deadline.

Hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what will happen, or is at least expected to happen. Urbina will be a Tiger at the start of the year, but who knows where he will end up or how the situtation with his mother will turn out.

We have a closer already, don't need Urbina.  I had him on my fantasy team this past season, he was a waste there, and I don't see a need for him with the Sox.

We need to get either a closer or set-up man this off-season. No ifs, ands or buts, about it.

We have a closer already, don't need Urbina.  I had him on my fantasy team this past season, he was a waste there, and I don't see a need for him with the Sox.

The idea is to put Shingo in a set-up role. Having two guys capable of closing can't hurt. I think Shingo earned the spot next year, but nailing down a guy like Urbina could only improve that pen.

Urbina is somewhat inconsistent. Not bad but shaky at times. I think we've had enough of that from Foulke and Koch. Wonder what Armando Benitez wants, Inconsistent too but i like tha fact he throws hard and is an intimidator. I think Chicago could be a good fit for him and the latin atmosphere too.

Urbina is somewhat inconsistent. Not bad but shaky at times. I think we've had enough of that from Foulke and Koch. Wonder what Armando Benitez wants, Inconsistent too but i like tha fact he throws hard and is an intimidator. I think Chicago could be a good fit for him and the latin atmosphere too.

Benitez wants a 1-2 year deal, 6-8 million per year. I would say he is out of our price range.

Urbina is somewhat inconsistent. Not bad but shaky at times. I think we've had enough of that from Foulke and Koch.

I'm always surprised by the low esteem that Sox fans have for Foulke. I remember him as being a pretty good closer (one of the best in the AL, actually), but that sentiment is clearly not widespread. :)

I don't think Koch or Urbina are close to being as good as Foulke. Since 1999, Foulke has never had a year with an ERA above 3, while Urbina hasn't had one below 3 (he did hit 3 exactly once). Their career ERAs are a half run apart. I don't think I have to go over what Koch has done.

Anyway, I agree the Sox need to pick up a Gordon-type of setup man/closer. Right now, if Shingo loses it there's really no one that can close. I think Willliamson might be worth a look. He was hurt last year which makes him risky, but means he might come cheap. And he fits the profile of what the Sox need, I think.

I think Det. could very likely decline his option. W/ his mother's situation up in the air, there's no guarantee Urbina will be back strong as ever, focused.

If Det declines his option, and he'd be willing to come to the sox as a setup man, [whoever the Sox get has to come as a set up man--Shingo did well as a closer and didn't lose his job. Ozzie is all about performance and Shingo performed] he'd be a good pick up.

Yet Urbina would be good Shingo insurance in case of injury or ineffectiveness

Found this on the Urbina situation;

Urbina on the block?

With the market for closers heating up quickly, several clubs have contacted the Tigers about trading for righthander Ugueth Urbina. The Tigers hold a $4 million club option on Urbina that must be exercised by this weekend, or he becomes a free agent. If they trade him before the deadline, his new team would assume the option.

Urbina left the Tigers after his mother was kidnapped in Venezuela in early September, but he is expected to pitch again next season. The Giants, Indians and Cubs are among the teams seeking closers, though the Cubs have several other needs that might take a higher priority.

If the Tigers trade Urbina, they then would jump into the bidding for the top free-agent closers, Armando Benitez and Troy Percival. They've made preliminary contact with the agents for both pitchers and intend to rebuild their late-inning relief corps with or without Urbina.

The Giants would be a good fit for Benitez, who likely would relish playing for a fellow Dominican, manager Felipe Alou. The Indians could be a good spot for Percival. The Rockies and Blue Jays also are looking for closers.

FWIW... Ozzie and Urbina are VERY close friends. In Detroit he came to the Ritz and had dinner and drinks with Ozzie till the wee hours of the morning. Him and Garcia hung out even longer. It was mentioned more than a few times that he could have been on the Sox if not for Koch.. and how he would love to play for Ozzie. The situation with his mom definitely takes center stage though. Urbina is the type of guy that would quit baseball until she is found.

FWIW... Ozzie and Urbina are VERY close friends. In Detroit he came to the Ritz and had dinner and drinks with Ozzie till the wee hours of the morning. Him and Garcia hung out even longer. It was mentioned more than a few times that he could have been on the Sox if not for Koch.. and how he would love to play for Ozzie. The situation with his mom definitely takes center stage though. Urbina is the type of guy that would quit baseball until she is found.

Urbina was living in Ozzie's home last spring while he was going through the legal stuff with that gun incident back home.

Another option, also coming off injuries is Jeff Zimmerman, he was a fantastic set-up guy with the Rangers and I think had a decent year closing, too.  I believe the Rangers declined his option or released him outright.  JMO.

He had major surgery on either his elbow or his shoulder, I can't remember which. I don't know if he would be healthy or not.

Looks like the Tigers took the option on Urbina.

Tigers exercise option on Urbina

DETROIT (Ticker) - The Detroit Tigers announced Friday that the club has exercised the 2005 option on closer Ugueth Urbina.

Signed by the Tigers as a free agent last March, Urbina had 21 saves in 24 opportunities along with a 4-6 record and 4.50 ERA with the Tigers. He made 54 appearances and averaged 9.33 strikeouts per nine innings.

Urbina left the team on September 2 to return to his native Venezuela after four unidentified men kidnapped his mother.

The 30-year-old Urbina has 264 career saves in 502 appearances with Montreal, Boston, Texas, Florida and Detroit.

He is best known for saving two games in the National League Championship Series and two games in the World Series for the 2003 champion Florida Marlins.

Another option, also coming off injuries is Jeff Zimmerman, he was a fantastic set-up guy with the Rangers and I think had a decent year closing, too.  I believe the Rangers declined his option or released him outright.  JMO.

Zimm's contract was up at the end of this year with the Rangers, no options. He's a straight up free agent.

And... let's just say if Jeff Zimmerman's going anywhere, I would know it just about the same time Jeff knows it...

I'll get an update, um, straight from the horse's mouth, on how he's doing and his availability.

Maybe I could influence him that Chicago is not such a bad city... ;)

Zimm's contract was up at the end of this year with the Rangers, no options.  He's a straight up free agent.

And... let's just say if Jeff Zimmerman's going anywhere, I would know it just about the same time Jeff knows it...

I'll get an update, um, straight from the horse's mouth, on how he's doing and his availability.

Are you serious, you know him?

Zimm's contract was up at the end of this year with the Rangers, no options.  He's a straight up free agent.

Well get on it! :whip