Whats that I hear in NYC?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

It's kind of hard to take your position on stereotyping seriously when your avatar...

"He likes guns, he likes destruction...It's Nuke_Cleveland"

...seems to answer to the very stereotypes that Dems associate with Republicans.

Either way, even though I am a self-proclaimed liberal, I do think those selected New Yorkers are taking the wrong approach.  I am concerned with the direction of this country and think we made a huge mistake by electing a divisive president who answers to one side of the country.  But we just have to suck it up.

But what do I know...I'm just an elitist.

My avatar is all in fun. Do you know what I do for a living or anything else about me for that matter?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big difference is simple.  Where do you see people writing that 56 million people who voted for John Kerry are some kind a of a human subspecies for their opinions?  You don't.

I'm pretty sure the article doesn't say that, though some of the people it quotes get ugly. It's just not true that all Dems think that.

There are plenty of people who say nasty things about Dem voters. A quick Google search turns up comments on a blog such as "A vote for Kerry is the same as saying it's ok to kill a baby." You have people like Keyes saying that voting for Obama is a "mortal sin." That doesn't imply everyone who votes Repub thinks that way.

I'm pretty sure the article doesn't say that, though some of the people it quotes get ugly.  It's just not true that all Dems think that.

There are plenty of people who say nasty things about Dem voters.  A quick Google search turns up comments on a blog such as "A vote for Kerry is the same as saying it's ok to kill a baby."  You have people like Keyes saying that voting for Obama is a "mortal sin."  That doesn't imply everyone who votes Repub thinks that way.

Keyes is a moron. You want to talk about extremist Republicans there you have it. He's an embarassment to the party and a big reason why the Republican party is hurting badly in Illinois.

I've never heard of the "elitist poor", and the phrase sounds pretty funny to me.

You say that all Dem voters are elitists who think that noone could disagree with them, except idiots.  I could just as well say that Repub voters are all rednecks who think that noone could disagree with them, except immoral people.  (I don't say that.)  These are both absurd statements.  There's a lot of heterogeneity on each side.

Look dude go back and read my words...not your responses...I never said "elitist poor" I also never said all democrat voters are elitist. My wife is a democrat.

My postings were about the people in New York. I can't speak for everyone else, but I do not think that all Democrats are like NY Democrats. Most people I have met from NY have the same personality as the people that made those quotes. They feel some superiority to everyone.

Keyes is a moron.  You want to talk about extremist Republicans there you have it.  He's an embarassment to the party and a big reason why the Republican party is hurting badly in Illinois.

Which is exactly my point -- you only need a few examples, a few elitists, to write a story like this. But to extrapolate from that to all Dem voters is absurd, just like it would be absurd to extrapolate from Keyes. (Although I worry that Keyes isn't as far out as I thought, when Coburn and DeMint can get elected.)

Look dude go back and read my words...not your responses...I never said "elitist poor"  I also never said all democrat voters are elitist. My wife is a democrat. 

My postings were about the people in New York.  I can't speak for everyone else, but I do not think that all Democrats are like NY Democrats.  Most people I have met from NY have the same personality as the people that made those quotes. They feel some superiority to everyone.

You said "Elitist, poor or otherwise....", so you clearly are saying that there exist a group of "elitist poor". I don't think that's misapplied at all. So you think that all Dems in NY are exactly alike, but Dems elsewhere are entirely different. I think that's a pretty odd theory. Most of the people I know from NY are not like that, even though they're to a person Dems. They're boastful about their city, sure, so what? I'm boastful about mine, too.

You said "Elitist, poor or otherwise....", so you clearly are saying that there exist a group of "elitist poor".  I don't think that's misapplied at all.  So you think that all Dems in NY are exactly alike, but Dems elsewhere are entirely different.  I think that's a pretty odd theory.  Most of the people I know from NY are not like that, even though they're to a person Dems.  They're boastful about their city, sure, so what?  I'm boastful about mine, too.

In New York :end thought:

I think :end thought:

Elitist people :end thought:

Poor people :end thought:

or otherwise people :end thought:

all have the same disdain :end thought:

for republicans :end thought:

and yes I think most Dems in NY are alike, and Dems elsewhere are different. Democrats elsewhere don't have the pompusness. They are not in shock that there is another view out there that may have some validity. They don't agree with the view, but acknowledge it's valid to it's believers.

:huh There are poor people in NY who voted Dem.  CC says that all NY Dem voters are elitist.  Hence "elitist poor".

CC DID NOT say "all NY Dem voters are elitist."

I specifically went out of my way to tell you I did't say that and you just repeated that I did AGAIN. Please get your facts straight.

Even the point mreye has been making about the comma should tell you I was discussing two seperate things.

People are stupid, deal with it. You would see ignorant comments from both ends of the spectrum. From deep in the south to the northeast, its just completely different life styles and values. Both sides are full of ignorance. Somehow Bush has to try to re-unite the country. The terrorists tried to divide our country and sadly it looks like its working. Why do we need to fight Iraq, N. Korea, or Afganistan, we can just have our 2nd civil war :banghead

CC DID NOT say "all NY Dem voters are elitist." 

I specifically went out of my way to tell you I did't say that and you just repeated that I did AGAIN.  Please get your facts straight.

Even the point mreye has been making about the comma should tell you I was discussing two seperate things.

Okay, I took your quote the wrong way. I took it as 'Elitist -- poor or otherwise'. You meant 'Elitist, poor, or otherwise'. Apologize, but grammatically it could be either.

But as for the main point, fine, think what you like about the other side being pompous, whether in NY or elsewhere. It's your right, but it's not being serious about the differences in this country. It's no more objective than saying "All Repubs are redneck hicks," or in a more localized (like the only-NY) version, "All southern Repubs are redneck hicks."

The Northeaster Seaboard area thinks they represent mainstream America.  They don't.  The heart and soul of America is geographically in the heart of the country. 

An island of the coast of Europe?  That sounds about right to me.

just an fyi... the Northeast Seabord represents 23.8% of the US Population so I would venture to say they are a pretty good determining factor of things. on the flip side, the 3 states on the west coast represents 15.5% of the US population so when people bash the coasts, they are basically bashing 40% of the US Population.

Gee....people from New York think they are the center of the universe??? Big friggin' surprise. I have personally known only 5 or 6 people from NY and they have all had that attitude. If it isn't happening in NY then it isn't happening. This whining if of NO surprise.

juddling

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-ltzm, -l-)

n.

The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

So, you CAN be a poor elitist, as long as you think your s*** doesn't stink like everyone elses.

B/c noone on the coasts has a heart or a soul?  Or is this just "They are in the majority."  Explain this.

Replace "heart and soul" with "mainstream America" and you'll get my drift. I didn't think those words would be taken so literally.