Bye Bye Beltran

The Critic

JR may now have the incentive to sign Beltran. This is from jay mariotti:

I hope I'm wrong about Beltran and Chicago. In fact, I will shine Hawk Harrelson's shoes if he ends up with the Sox and press my face against the Wrigley ivy if he signs with the Cubs. But I won't have to worry about such repercussions.

The Sox will throw a competitive offer on the table...say to Carlos and Scott, "This is a competitive offer. And we have a lot of hispanics." Get shot down and then will go to the press saying we made a competitive offer.

Do you smell what they're shovellin'?

why in a MILLION years woudl you give a 10 year contract to ANYONE? He could blow out a knee in year one and never be the same and then you are stuck with a HUGE weight around your neck.

I ONLY sign beltron to a 10 year deal if the last 4 or 5 years are contingent on 2 year team options.

I just kind of glanced at Beltran's stats and although they are nice, I didn't really see the monster year. Defensivly and speedwise he is tops but for $20M I would think that his numbers would rival someone like Thomas in his first few years. For $20M you should get a perenial MVP candidate, especially if you are the White Sox giving out the money. I am thinking 90's Griffey or Bonds, total package and awesome in every respect. Sorry but for $20M let the Yanks or someone else have him.

I would love to have him but I get the feeling 3 years into it, we would feel the way Boston does/did about Manny Ramirez and Manny is a hitting machine. Beltran had a great playoff but I wouldn't target him that is for sure. His career OPS is under .900, not worth $20M.

I'm pretty sure that after fiascos like the Albert Belle contract that insurance companies are highly reluctant to guarantee these contracts anymore, so I don't see anybody but the Yankees willing to take this big of a risk.

Also, what happens if in 5 years there's some form of a salary-cap, then you're stuck with 5 more years of a huge contract under a new salary structure. (not that this is very likely, but you never know)

But hey, Boras got the Rangers to outbid themselves by something like 50m with A-Rod, so I wouldn't be suprised if he gets this done

His asking price is incredible. I don't know how any team could give him that much...quite frankly, I don't know how any team could give any player that kind of money.

Baltimore got one of the best SS's in the game in Miguel Tejada(I think he is the best now that ARod has moved to 3B) for 6-years, $72 mill IIRC. They got a guy that gave them .311 34 150 .894 with excellent defense for $12 mill.

And Beltran, who hit .268 38 104 .915 (42 SBs in 45 attempts) with very good defense in CF wants around $17 mill?

I like the guy and think he could be a potential 50 homer guy at USCF...but he is not worth that much. No one is.

The deal he will sign most likely is 7 years 150 million. Some where around there at least.

And the way much better and consistant Pujols gets 7 years for 100 million dollars....Beltran is a no deal in my books if he wants anywhere near that much. A ten year deal is definitely out of the question. I'd say 15 to 17 million a year for a maximum of 6 years would be my deal...maybe you could tweak it a little on the money and the years...but that is the jist of my deal to him.

6yrs@ 90 million dollars..to.. 6yrs@ 100 million. That would be my range.

10 years=not signing with the Sox. Wow, in this day of baseball, I don't care how good you are, getting a 10 year contract is crazy.

Yeah, it doesnt make sense.

IMO, that shows that you dont have faith in your ability that you will be able to play even better and get an even larger contract.