Tom Coburn

KipWellsFan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...6-2004Nov3.html

he said he favored the death penalty for abortion providers and that he had heard there was "rampant lesbianism" in Oklahoma schools. He called state legislators "crapheads" and raised the ire of Native Americans by questioning their federal assistance programs.

In a book published last year, "Breach of Trust: How Washington Turns Outsiders Into Insiders," Coburn compared Republican leaders to the biblical Pharisees.

:puke

Coattails. People voting party line, rather than individual candidate.

I ran my dad's town council campaign last year. He was a polarizing guy because of his previous stint before he got booted out. The key to getting him elected? Getting people to vote straight ticket. Out of 167 votes, over 25 placed straight Rep tickets. My father won by three votes.

I actually wrote a paper about this guy last night. Won by 12% in OKie despite allegations that he, when he was a practicing physician, sterilized a woman without her consent. He claims he had oral consent, not written, and he never documented it due to Medicaid parameteres. Either way it's f***ed up and disappointing that he got elected to the Senate. Also, he opposes all contraceptives and favors the death penalty for doctors who perform abortions.

A real uniter, this guy.

Sounds like a good Republican Family Values platform to me. Once Bush gets his activist judges appointed, and we outlaw abortion while cutting any assistance for the poor children, this country will finally be back where we need to be. Maybe those same activist judges can over turn any hate crime legislation so tying a homosexual to a fence post and beating him to death or tying a black man to a pick up bumper will not carry extra penalties. Remember 51% of the voters chose Bush, it's a mandate!

We will see how long Bush reaches across the isle. Last time it was 3 weeks when he stopped.

Hey, I don't think hate crime legislation is a good idea either. And I'm a bleeding heart. I think since judges have the ability to grow sentences based on the egregiousness of a crime, the need to make someone's thought behind the crime another crime is both needless and, frankly, a little frightening.

The latest idea I've heard from people on my side is to let Bush and his GOP live with a mandate... even push his agenda even further. If the republicans believe in less government, just end Social Security and Medicare. Make abortion and gay marriage states rights issues. Repeal the income tax amendment.

The thought behind it is that it would turn the conservative best case scenario quickly into the worst case scenario for most red states - because they receive more from the federal government they spend. In an average year, Mass. receives 70 cents in federal money for every dollar they put in. Mississippi receives over 1.90 for every dollar they put in. If this best case scenario were to happen, the blue states could more easily provide the same services than the red states. But in Alabama, or Montana, or Mississippi, where federal money is needed to provide basic services, the problems would quickly mount. Poor people would have no access to basic services, or the richer people would quickly find themselves paying even more than they already do to maintain a barebones level of what we expect in our society.

Personally, I think this is a pipe dream idea, but an interesting notion of taking the conservative agenda and using it against conservatives.

Hey, I don't think hate crime legislation is a good idea either. And I'm a bleeding heart. I think since judges have the ability to grow sentences based on the egregiousness of a crime, the need to make someone's thought behind the crime another crime is both needless and, frankly, a little frightening.

The latest idea I've heard from people on my side is to let Bush and his GOP live with a mandate... even push his agenda even further. If the republicans believe in less government, just end Social Security and Medicare. Make abortion and gay marriage states rights issues. Repeal the income tax amendment.

The thought behind it is that it would turn the conservative best case scenario quickly into the worst case scenario for most red states - because they receive more from the federal government they spend. In an average year, Mass. receives 70 cents in federal money for every dollar they put in. Mississippi receives over 1.90 for every dollar they put in. If this best case scenario were to happen, the blue states could more easily provide the same services than the red states. But in Alabama, or Montana, or Mississippi, where federal money is needed to provide basic services, the problems would quickly mount. Poor people would have no access to basic services, or the richer people would quickly find themselves paying even more than they already do to maintain a barebones level of what we expect in our society.

Personally, I think this is a pipe dream idea, but an interesting notion of taking the conservative agenda and using it against conservatives.

None of that will happen, b/c the Repubs have abandoned all small government ideas. Any party that touches the SS benefits of baby-boomers is out of office for decades. The Republican plan isn't feasible of course unless they cut benefits, but I've come to think that they're actually quite content to have exploding deficits, as there's really been no hue-and-cry from Republicans. The party has come to support a federal constitutional amendment barring gay marriage, not a states' rights approach. (Which was spurred by a state actually deciding for itself, by normal legal procedure, that marriage could not legally be limited in that state.)

Your scenario won't play out. While you're waiting for Republicans to gut SS and Medicare, they'll be expanding both and financing these with debt.