AAP: Josh D. Fields

All info courtesy OSU's official site... OSU's and BA's Scouting Report on him BA's

Hometown - Stillwater, Oklahoma

High School - Stillwater High School

Height - 6'2''

Weight - 210

Position - 3B

DoB - 12-14-82

Bats/Throws - R/R

General info: Has a lot of power along with good bat speed and strength, but needs to work on making contact. He is improving defensively, but is not there yet, and never will be a great defensive 3Bman, but will suffice if he pans out offensively. Has a very good work ethic.

Collegiate: Was a first-team preseason All-American going into the 2004 season. Hit .362 10 47 in 62 games last year while having an OBP of .465 and an SLG% of .580 for an OPS of 1.045 in 2004 as a Junior. Hit .364 25 132 over his 3 years at OSU. Had a 20-game hitting streak during the 2003 season, and ended the season on a 7-game hit streak. Has played mainly 3B, but also a little 1B as well as DHing some too. Hit for the cycle April 15th 2003 against Texas Pan-American. Was All-Big 12 in 03 and 04 at OSU(or I assume so considering he was a pre-season All-American this past year), was on the Big 12's All-Freshmen team in 2002, and was an honorable mention Freshmen All-American in 2002.

Also was the starting QB for OSU in both 2002 and 2003, throwing for 55 TD's, an all-time record for OSU. Threw for a total of 6090 yards in his 3 years as a Cowboy QB, including 5639 as a starter and led them to records of 8-5 in 02-03 and 9-4 in 03-04.

High School: Was the Daily Oklahoman Player of the Year and the Stillwater News Press Player of the Year as a Senior, along with being named the Frontier Conference Player of the Year. Hit .478 13 64 with 20 doubles in 44 games. His team had a 36-8 record, and he led them to a spot in the Class 6A title game.

Also threw for 2,019 yards and 19 TD's as the QB of his high school team, and was a top prospect coming out of high school in both football and baseball.

Personal: Enjoys swimming and attending FCA functions. Was undecided on a major. Was the son of Wendall and Rhonda Fields, and has 1 brother, Jace. His mom was the first female athlete to receive a full scholarship to OSU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I get more time, I will start to add his 2004 stats in his first year as a pro.

Edited by witesoxfan

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
So far this weekend, Josh has gone 7-12 with 4HR 2BB and 3K's. According to Gameday, all of the HR have been to straight-away center and right-of-center. None of them have been cheapies. They've all been 400 ft. shots.

That also go back to last year I don't remeber any cheap homers all were 380ft+ Including a couple to dead center at the Met.

With how well he has done in AAA im starting to get excited about him. I know KW has a history of trading away prospects but him, Sweeney, Valido, and Getz im kind of looking forward to being future whitesox starters. Its kind of far fetched but oh well one can dream.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
With how well he has done in AAA im starting to get excited about him. I know KW has a history of trading away prospects but him, Sweeney, Valido, and Getz im kind of looking forward to being future whitesox starters. Its kind of far fetched but oh well one can dream.

Fields is a definate masher. I could see him playing Left, 1st or DH for a long time. Hell, he has the arm for RF but I don't think he has the range (plus such little experience). The flaw is it will be hard to fit him at any of these positions.

I don't see Ozzie getting rid of Pods unless we have a new base stealer at the top of the order (which means no hole in LF unless Anderson stinks and we move Pods to CF; I'm high on Anderson so I don't see that happening). First base we have two poppers, but one of them could get hurt and than you have 3rd where Crede is a freaking stud (especially with the way he's hitting as of late) so if we sign him to a contract he'll be there a while.

Of course holes open up. I do think we'll see Fields later in the year (september) if he isn't dealt and he may turn into one of the top hitting prospects in all of baseball. He's really starting to click and he has MASSIVE power.

It's been very good having 2 suprises in 2 seasons with the way Chris Young handled AA last season, and now the way Fields is tearing up AAA pitching.

If he keeps improving with the bat the way he has in his minor league career, he should definitely stick at the major league level, even if it ain't gonna be at 3rd base.

And if he does, suddenly the Sox's last 3 1st round selections are starting to look better by the day, even though Broadway hasn't proven himself above AA yet.

I really hope this kid keeps it up. I really like him and hope he will be with the club next year. If we sign crede long term and he converts to an LF does he have any speed and how good is his arm?