He_Gawn

lumsden-tyler.jpg

Class: Junior

Hometown: Roanoke, VA

High School: Cave Spring High School

Height / Weight: 6-4 / 205

Position: LHP

Bats/Throws: R-L

Highly-touted lefthander who has shown flashes of dominance...has a 12-3 career record and 4.38 ERA in 23 career starts and 20 relief outings...has 135 career strikeouts in 144.0 innings pitched...listed as the #25 junior in the nation in the preseason by Baseball America...Preseason First-Team All-ACC by Baseball America...turns 21 the day Clemson plays host to Central Florida on May 9.

LEGGETT COMMENTS: “Tyler has all the tools to be right there. He’s proven he can beat any team on our schedule. I thought he had an excellent fall. His fastball, breaking ball, and changeup were as crisp as it gets. We look for him to have a great season. In order for us to go where we want to go, he has to have a great year and be consistent throughout the year. He’s certainly capable of being one of the better pitchers in the country if he puts it all together.”

BEFORE CLEMSON: Taken in the fifth round of the 2001 draft by Florida...member of the Virginia Commonwealth Games from 1998-00...part of the Chicago Cubs ECPBS and East Coast Prospects in 2000...named All-District and All-Region in 1999 and 2000...named the #5 prospect in the state of Virginia by Baseball America...led team to the District Championship in the 1999 and 2000 seasons...lettered four years each in baseball and basketball at Cave Springs High School...was a teammate and good friend of Duke star basketball guard J.J. Redick at Cave Springs High...coached by Randy Boone.

PERSONAL: Nicknamed "Lump"...is ambidextrious in terms of throwing a ball; he was clocked throwing a pitch right-handed 80 mph in high school and throws over 90 mph left-handed...majoring in PRTM...born Tyler Ryan Lumsden on May 9, 1983.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

CWWKeith posted this over at SSS:

He looked decent in the highlights they showed of him, but that's all I saw.  This was taken from a diary of 'mrkupe', a poster at minorleagueball:

The reason why I bring him up? He just pitched for the White Sox in a spring training game. Nice slider, but he was SITTING (not touching, sitting) at 94-96 MPH on the radar gun. Very nice and smooth motion as well, not much effort. I can't think that a college lefty with a plus slider and a mid-90s fastball would've slipped to the supplemental first round. What was he throwing velocity-wise in college (Clemson, I believe)?

Also, the Cheat raved about his performance today as well. Seems like if Lumpy can stay healthy he'll be a top of the rotation starter. In a farm system mostly empty of anything, this is great news. It's encouraging to see him throwing a consistnent 92+ heater that's dancing, while displaying good control as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 20, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
7IP 2H 0ER 2BB 9K -- ERA down to 2.53

He's had 8 great starts, and one poor one where he gave up 4 bombs.

You can add another to that list;

4IP, 10H, 8ER, 3BB's, 2K's. ERA up to 3.27 now.

• 2 months later...