Child, Adult Killed In Accident At Toll Plaza

Queen Prawn

Child, Adult Killed In Accident At Toll Plaza (83rd Tolls on the Tri-State).

Child, Adult Killed In Accident At Toll Plaza

Three Other People Seriously Injured

POSTED: 12:47 pm CST November 6, 2004

UPDATED: 2:55 pm CST November 6, 2004

HICKORY HILLS, Ill. -- Illinois State Police say a child and an adult were killed in an accident Saturday at a toll plaza on the southbound Tristate Tollway in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.

The lanes at the 82nd Street toll plaza near Hickory Hills are closed while rescue workers are on the scene.

The semi plowed through the toll plaza and rolled over on top of a vehicle stopped at an automated tollbooth to pay the toll, Illinois State Police Tollway District Trooper Doug Whitmore said.

That vehicle was carrying five people, and at least 2 of them were fatally injured, he said. The

Police say the three other people were seriously injured.

The truck driver suffered minor injuries. The toll plaza worker was airlifted to a hospital.

First - :pray .

Just knowing that toll booth (I travel it twice daily), I really have to wonder if there was a combo of the truck being cut off and equipment malfunction with the truck.

Just to be clear, I am not saying the vehicle carrying those who died was possibly cutting the truck off. I wonder how much information in regards to this accident will be released. :huh

I had to go into work today, and was stuck by that on my way home this afternoon. I was wondering exactally what had happened. However, it LOOKED like the truck was crashed while going thru that truck Ipass lane. Maybe the car tried to go thru that, and stopped? I have seen that happen before. Whatever happened, it looked as bad as it was.

I have seen that happen before. Whatever happened, it looked as bad as it was.

Within the next year, when additional I-Pass lanes are added, these accidents will become more common. Portion tolls which require drivers to slow down and pay may cause congestion, but it prevents jackasses blazing through at high speeds.

This particular incident was likely the fault of the person driving the automobile, but it serves as a warning of forthcoming problems.