Why trade Paul Konerko?

Guest hawaiisoxfn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you could have possibly thought it was a good trade at the time. It was a ridiculous trade at the time

We traded kip wells,josh fogg,and sean lowe for ritchie.

Ritchie was a descent pitcher at the time and from what I had heard, he was on the way to improving in the following season. Now, the whitesox were extremely weak in the rotation and any arm would be positive.

They decided to deal problem chiild kip wells who could never make a start w/out a breakout inning happening and when he did, he wouldnt in his next start. Kip was basically a hard throwing player who never learned how to pitch. He had a better pitching coach in pittsburgh and the hitters in the nl are weaker-he has well since the trade in pitt.

Fogg was basically a POSSIBLE #5 starter that they dealt and thats what he turned out to be. Lowe was just a long reliever and I am not even sure he is in the league any more.

Looking back on it, it was one of the worst trades in whitesox history(No, sosa for bell wasnt a bad trade because if sosa stayed with the sox he wouldnt have taken roids).

We traded kip wells,josh fogg,and sean lowe for ritchie.

Ritchie was a descent pitcher at the time and from what I had heard, he was on the way to improving in the following season.  Now, the whitesox were extremely weak in the rotation and any arm would be positive.

They decided to deal problem chiild kip wells who could never make a start w/out a breakout inning happening and when he did, he wouldnt in his next start.  Kip was basically a hard throwing player who never learned how to pitch.  He had a better pitching coach in pittsburgh and the hitters in the nl are weaker-he has well since the trade in pitt.

Fogg was basically a POSSIBLE #5 starter that they dealt and thats what he turned out to be.  Lowe was just a long reliever and I am not even sure he is in the league any more.

Looking back on it, it was one of the worst trades in whitesox history(No, sosa for bell wasnt a bad trade because if sosa stayed with the sox he wouldnt have taken roids).

Ritchie had one decent half year, whoop de f***ing doo. How the hell was wells a problem child?

In all seriousness I don't look at that trade as that bad. Yes, we gave up a lot in what we got, but what did we really give up?

Kipper has not been all that great. Fogg only had a decent half of a year and Lowe was just awful and I don't believe he is even in the league anymore.

Yes we gave up way too much for Ritchie just because it was 3 for 1. Any three players for Ritchie is too much and would be a bad trade. However, to call this the worst trade in Sox history is going a bit far. I am sure there are trades that turned out a lot worse than this one. I can see any of these pitchers became a star or something, but come on!

One trade that comes to mind is when Hawk sent Bobby Bonilla to Pittsburgh for Jose DeLeon,.

What is it with the Pirates and the Sox?

I would do the Kendall for Konerko deal if we have to pay all of Kendall's salary or not. We just don't need another power hitter. We need guys to get on base. We need guys that are smart and that can run the bases and play defense. Is Paulie that guy? Kendall definately is. He just fits our team better and if we have the money I see nothing wrong with spending it on him.

Kip would be worse then garland if he was here, imo.

Kipper gave up 14 HR's this season but only pitched in 24 games with a 4.55 ERA. He made $2,575,000.

Garland gave up 34 HR's this season, pitched in 34 games, and had a 4.89 ERA. He made $2,300,000.

What does this prove? Well even though Wells pitched in more of a pitchers park, his ERA was almost as high as Garland's. If he pitched in the same number of games as Garland and pitched for the Sox at the Cell, you could probably add another 15 to 25 homers to his season totals, and his ERA would probably go over 5. Yes Garland was that bad.