War on Terror Question

DBAHO

I had an interesting discussion with my family about the U.S election result yesterday. We are mainly opposed to Bush, although we didn't like Kerry either, so I'll say that straight off the bat. We came up with an interesting question though. Countries like Australia and the U.K helped America invade Iraq, and even today many people in these countries have not liked the decision due to the lack of Weapons of Mass Destruction found.

My question is this; If a country like Indonesia that has strong terrorism roots invaded Australia, would the United States of America come to our aid, and come to this country and help defend us? What if they were in another country like Iran or Syria at the time? ;)

Hm, that's a good question. To be wholly honest I do not feel that the current American foreign relations policy (if we have one) is conducive to helping out our allies who might be endangered from their relationship with us (or just being attacked for the sake of being attacked). When the train in Spain was bombed (albeit by national terrorists) the US didn't do much--and I don't contemplate us even thinking of sending troops. And even though Russia wasn't "with us" we didn't do much when they had that school hostage situation. I understand that those are domestic home-grown terrorists in most cases--but even we in America have seen how much damage can be done by our home-grown fanatics....But I feel like other than the "war on terror" we've pretty much taken an isolationist stance on most things.

To be honest, I really don't think we would send troops. We might, however, add the country that attacked to the "axis of evil."

No question you would have American troops there as quickly as possible. Spain was different, it was a terrorist attack, not an invading force. We're already pursuing terrorist networks. As far as an actual military attack on Australia or the UK, we'd be there quicker than we got to Afghanistan.

I might have read the question wrong--if Australia was invaded we would be much more likely to help than if the Terrorists attacked one landmark. If there were boatloads of terrorists landing ashore on Australia, yes, obviously soemthing would be done. But if a couple of planes mauled the Sydney Opera house or something in Canberra I don't think Australia would get much.

Edit: none of this is my personal feelings, just what I think would be likely to happen.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

I had an interesting discussion with my family about the U.S election result yesterday. We are mainly opposed to Bush, although we didn't like Kerry either, so I'll say that straight off the bat. We came up with an interesting question though. Countries like Australia and the U.K helped America invade Iraq, and even today many people in these countries have not liked the decision due to the lack of Weapons of Mass Destruction found.

My question is this; If a country like Indonesia that has strong terrorism roots invaded Australia, would the United States of America come to our aid, and come to this country and help defend us? What if they were in another country like Iran or Syria at the time? ;)

If the Aussies were invaded, there is no doubt that Europe and the US would send troops.