Scott Boras Client List

Rex Hudler

I am speaking more specifically of current free agents or those that are still eligible to file this year. A complete list would be cool, but not necessary. If anyone can dig one up, I think all of us would appreciate it.

What I do know is that he will have a lot of say in what free agents go where this offseason. I know Boras has the following seven free agents. I am sure there are others.

Carlos Beltran

Adrian Beltre

Magglio Ordonez

JD Drew

Jason Varitek

Derek Lowe

Kevin Millwood

If someone digs up the list, or if you want to merge this into the Free Agency Resource thread, feel free.

Gracias in advance.........

Man oh man. Player i have most interest from that list is drew. He would absolutely rake the ball here. He will be had for anything between 8-12, most likely closer to 12.

If he stayed healthy, he'd be a 40 homer, 1.000 OPS guy for us.

That's still a pretty big if, even with him playing a full season last year.

I don't want to sound like I am pro-Boras/agent here, but agents do a lot more than most think. They do much more than handle contract negotiations.

Many agents handle some or all of the player's finances. They handle their taxes, or at least keep everything in order so an accountant can finish them, if the agent doesn't have an accountant on staff. Agents handle PR appearances for the player outside what is directly club-related. They secure endorsements, signing deals, etc, for the players to allow them additional income. They handle bat, shoe and glove contracts and make sure the player is in full supply. They also do all the research necessary to support their arguments during negotiations and/or arbitration hearings.

There are probably a ton of other things too, that I am not aware of.

If people have the impression that an agent simply negotiates with a club for a player by having a few meetings and signing a contract and that is it, then they are mistaken.

Agents also do the following for their clients:

Charge their cell phones

Detail their cars on Sunday afternoons ( but ONLY if it's nice outside )

Call their Moms on Mother's Day

Buy AND check their Lotto tickets

Change the ink cartridge in their fax machines

Scratch that hard-to-reach spot on their lower back

Pick their kids up from school

Chew their food for them and feed it to them like a baby bird

...and, of course, other LESS important tasks as necessary...

So as you can see, a 10% commission is a pretty good bargain for the client!

:D

I don't want to sound like I am pro-Boras/agent here, but agents do a lot more than most think.  They do much more than handle contract negotiations.

Many agents handle some or all of the player's finances.  They handle their taxes, or at least keep everything in order so an accountant can finish them, if the agent doesn't have an accountant on staff.  Agents handle PR appearances for the player outside what is directly club-related.  They secure endorsements, signing deals, etc, for the players to allow them additional income.  They handle bat, shoe and glove contracts and make sure the player is in full supply.  They also do all the research necessary to support their arguments during negotiations and/or arbitration hearings.

There are probably a ton of other things too, that I am not aware of. 

If people have the impression that an agent simply negotiates with a club for a player by having a few meetings and signing a contract and that is it, then they are mistaken.

Good post Rexy. I never realized how much work an agent did either, until I got some good first hand info. These guys literally live and breath their clients lives.

Agents also do the following for their clients:

Charge their cell phones

Detail their cars on Sunday afternoons ( but ONLY if it's nice outside )

Call their Moms on Mother's Day

Buy AND check their Lotto tickets

Change the ink cartridge in their fax machines

Scratch that hard-to-reach spot on their lower back

Pick their kids up from school

Chew their food for them and feed it to them like a baby bird

...and, of course, other LESS important tasks as necessary...

So as you can see, a 10% commission is a pretty good bargain for the client!

:D

Considering all the client does is order them around and sign on the dotted line.. I agree. Some clients are A1 Assholes.. some aren't. Most are. And Critic.. you would not believe how many of those silly things you list above that agents really do. One player I know quite well has his agent rent his hotel rooms in his home city and buy his condoms for his extra-marital flings... the really sick part.. the agents wife and the clients wife are best friends.

Considering all the client does is order them around and sign on the dotted line.. I agree. Some clients are A1 Assholes.. some aren't. Most are. And Critic.. you would not believe how many of those silly things you list above that agents really do. One player I know quite well has his agent rent his hotel rooms in his home city and buy his condoms for his extra-marital flings... the really sick part.. the agents wife and the clients wife are best friends.

Wow, that's truly awful. And the agent's wife can't really say anything either, without endangering her marriage and the agent's career, if she even knows about it - that stinks.

...I was HOPING I was kidding about those chores...

Wow, that's truly awful. And the agent's wife can't really say anything either, without endangering her marriage and the agent's career, if she even knows about it - that stinks.

...I was HOPING I was kidding about those chores...

You would not believe some of the stuff they do.. and even moreso who they do it for.. :ph34r:

That's funny............ I was just about to post that I originally left out things like secure the hookers, lie to the wife, etc. LOL