Offer Made For Randy Johnson

redandwhite

Hmm... this is how I feel on this:

Garland stays. Too much talent to give up just yet...give him another year. And if he still performs the same then they can think about trading him.

Konerko/Garland/Prospects for a old veteran injury prone Randy Johnson? Who might only have a few years left in him..?

That's giving up too much, IMO.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sox take on Vizquel for 4 and Johnson for 16.5 (minus 12.5 or so for Konerko and Garland) they'll have raised payroll by about 8 million dollars over what it was at the end of last year to around 71 million (assuming they are at around 63 million now per the Cheat's blog). The Sox website & Trib have said payroll would come in around 65 million. So let's assume that wasn't true and they are willing to add payroll for Johnson and Vizquel. I still don't see them paying for a decent 5th and closer/setup man. A good setup reliever will take at least 3 million IMO (a mediocre starter would be about the same). A real closer (e.g. Benitez) would cost much more. I think, it's more likely Grilli will be in the rotation and a Mike Jackson-ish RP will be signed.

The key is getting value from a 5th SP and a reliever. The sox have had good success finding a guy cheap who can do the job [Loiaza, Gordon, Politte]. With relievers such as Ramiro Mendoza, Matt Mantei who have been injured, and vet SP's like Paul Wilson, Wilson Alvarez etc, the sox could fill these spots for $1-2 mill. each. If the sox seem like they have their act together, getting the top "cheap" guys does make a difference. Or the sox could go with a $1 mill, bullpen guy, and pay more for a SP. Or vice versa.

The Sox have a record around the league of giving guys a 2nd chance to prove themselves, esp. due to past injuries, or w/ Scott Schoeneweis of letting him go back to being a starter. Being known as an org. that gives guys a 2nd or 3rd chance should pay dividends. While part of it is being "cheap" and loking for the best value, the sox have been willing to take chances on guys.

Konerko/Garland/Prospects for a old veteran injury prone Randy Johnson? Who might only have a few years left in him..?

That's giving up too much, IMO.

Johnson has only thrown 240+ innings in 6 of the last 7 seasons. And last yr was due to his knee, not his arm. Injury prone? No.

I don't do this trade. I think there's just too much of a chance for us to end up on the short end of the stick. We know what we would be getting with Konerko/JG. I do however feel Konerko should be the one to be moved.

I'd much rather have one of the Oakland trio.

For all we know the prospects are choose two out of McCarthy/Anderson/Sweeney.

RJ probably has one more year left, but definitely no more than two. Konerko might have one year left but theres also a good possibility that he will resign and have many more years with us.

Well how about this? Trade Konerko for Johnson, and then sign Paulie when he is a FA. :huh

I think that injury prone comment is one of the dumbest I've ever heard. Injured once makes you injury prone?

Heh....we never thought Magglio would get injured either.....

His age worries me more than anything when I would much rather have one of the Oakland guys that is more than 10 yrs younger.

Guest hawaiisoxfn
Heh....we never thought Magglio would get injured either.....

His age worries me more than anything when I would much rather have one of the Oakland guys that is more than 10 yrs younger.

Billy Beane said hes very happy with his big three so dont plan on getting one of them.

Can someone do the math here?

I'm just trying to figure out -- that, if we do make this trade -- will there still be money left over to fill some other holes?

I assume that the Vizquel thing is pretty much set in stone. If a trade of PK + JG for RJ goes through, we still have a couple of holes to fill: reliever, 5th starter, and (preferably, because I don't want to see Carl Everett in RF every day) a RFer (Jermaine Dye would put up monster numbers here, IMO).

I don't understand why Arizona would make this trade, unless the Sox prospect is Sweeney, Anderson or BMac. Garland is arbitration eligible and will get $4-5 million. Konerko will make $9 million with his trade bonus. Both are free agents after next season. Johnson costs the DBacks $10 million now, $6 million later. It probably comes out to slightly more money, but certainly not enough to make up for the PR hit if they made the trade. The age factor doesn't bother me. In fact, the edge goes to the White Sox with this. Garland and Konerko are going to command multi year contracts. Johnson you could get with a one year extension, and go year to year with him. This trade makes no sense to Arizona unless the White Sox pick up a lot of $.

I'd do it. I'm more interested on the prospects we would lose though.

Pitching wins championships. We would have three horses who can pitch a ton of innings and a nasty 4th starter. If Esty is the 5th starter, that's fine with me imho. Or, maybe Kenny plans on signing O. Perez as well.. Ah what the hell I can dream..

Johnson

Garcia

Buehrle

O. Perez

Contreras

:wub:

Can someone do the math here?

I'm just trying to figure out -- that, if we do make this trade -- will there still be money left over to fill some other holes?

I assume that the Vizquel thing is pretty much set in stone.  If a trade of PK + JG for RJ goes through, we still have a couple of holes to fill:  reliever, 5th starter, and (preferably, because I don't want to see Carl Everett in RF every day) a RFer (Jermaine Dye would put up monster numbers here, IMO).

There will be very little to no money left to spend.

Johnson is due 16 million next year. Konerko is owed 8.75. I'll be generous and give Garland 4.25. That is still an increase of 3 million dollars, which to put it in perspective is Vizquel money.

The A's talk is relatively absurd because there are MANY teams that match up better including Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, and several national league teams. The A's will not be interested in Jon Garland(who costs around what the Big 3 costs while expiring at the same time) and Konerko and Lee are bad fits because of the money they make. The A's will retool with young pitching prospects and young hitters that fit their organizational philosophy. I don't even believe that Rowand walks enough for their tastes.

I'm only on page three, but it's bugged me that nobody has corrected this.... yet, they may have by the time I make it to page ten, but Jon Garland is property of the Chicago White Sox through the 2006 season.  He has two more years here.

So eventually you'd be trading 2 years of Jon Garland for about $3 to $4 mill with the potential of him turning into a 15 game to 20 game winner plus prospects and Paul Konerko, for 2 years of Randy Johnson with dodgy knees for 2 more years at $16 million. There's no doubt there'd be a boost in marketing and the crowds, but will it really improve our team?

In my opinion Lieber and Garland > Randy Johnson. Then you can trade Konerko, possibly to Oakland for Tim Hudson or in some other deal for a bullpen piece perhaps (Julio and Hairston?) that will better suit our needs.

Esteban won't sign cheap, despite his poor season.  I'd still expect him to command 3-4 million on the FA market.  That money is better spent elsewhere

If esty commands 3 or 4 mill I agree with you spend the money elsewhere. With the vizquel thing seeming a lock, if this trade would somehow go through, I'd like to see a cheap 5th starter signed and then one reliever and I'd be pretty happy. I honestly think Jurrassic is going to have a very solid year for us next year, jmo.

There will be very little to no money left to spend. 

Johnson is due 16 million next year.  Konerko is owed 8.75.  I'll be generous and give Garland 4.25.  That is still an increase of 3 million dollars, which to put it in perspective is Vizquel money.

Johnson would be taking up almost 1/4 of our payroll. We weren't willing to pay Maggs that amount and we probably won't for Carlos Beltran either. Unless payroll gets significantly bumped up ti the $75 to $80 million mark, it's going to be hard for us to fill our holes with RJ on our payroll.

So eventually you'd be trading 2 years of Jon Garland for about $3 to $4 mill with the potential of him turning into a 15 game to 20 game winner plus prospects and Paul Konerko, for 2 years of Randy Johnson with dodgy knees for 2 more years at $16 million. There's no doubt there'd be a boost in marketing and the crowds, but will it really improve our team?

In my opinion Lieber and Garland > Randy Johnson. Then you can trade Konerko, possibly to Oakland for Tim Hudson or in some other deal for a bullpen piece perhaps (Julio and Hairston?) that will better suit our needs.

Exactly. Overlooked in all of this is that Randy Johnson is not a sixteen million dollar pitcher anymore. No one is, so im not trying to take away anything from Randy, hes just not worth it.

25% of the payroll tied up with one player. :rolly