Offer Made For Randy Johnson

redandwhite

Shingo could very well be quote on quote, figured out, this upcoming season.  He will still be a very effective reliever, but if your relying on him to be like a Kazuhiro Sasaki, your dreaming.

That's just your own prediction. If he were that easy to figure out he would have gotten hit all over the yard the 2nd half last year.

not exactly someone I'd rely on in the 8th inning.

That's what Marte is for.

Cotts... eh.. He could improve, but from what I saw this season he's nothing but an average ballplayer.

Could and in all likelyhood, will improve.

As Cheat posted in his blog a while back Cotts is one of the most underated relievers and this is true.

His stranding runners rate, as I said is great.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, he's actually put up much better numbers since 1999.

Did you see his outing against the Twins last year?

9IP, 5H, 1 ER, 10 K's.

But I'm sure a Red Sox fan could care lees about his outing against the Twins last year.

You know, you make me laugh. Everything has to become personal with you and besides that, one game against the Twins really shows his domination of the AL Central in the past year or two.

:rolly

and what happens the other 3 days?  Your going to be relying on Neal Cotts, Jon Adkins and Cliff Politte to get the job done?

Yup. I sure am. You haven't offered any solutions to our bullpen. You just b****.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bullpen of:

Diaz

Munoz

Politte

Marte

Shingo

Cotts

Adkins

or some crappy fail starters

As long as Randy Johnson is in the starting rotation.

I don't believe we should shell out big bucks for a guy who will give us only 60 innings a year. I'm expecting some of these guys to step it up for next year.

I asked you once before, and I'll ask again.

What did the Sox's bullpen look like in 2000?

What did the Sox's bullpen look like in 2000?

If I remember correctly the bullpen consisted of Bobby Howry, Kelly Wunsch, Bill Simas, Matt Ginter, Sean Lowe and anchored by the almighty Keith Foulke.

Biddle, Eyre, Barcelo, Sturtze and even the good ole Ken Hill can be added to that list.

Whats your point? Don't tell me this past years bullpen was better.

You know, you make me laugh.  Everything has to become personal with you and besides that, one game against the Twins really shows his domination of the AL Central in the past year or two.

I didn't post that outing to show you his domination of the AL Central, I already posted his career numbers, and that wasn't good enough for you. It seemed to me that you were looking for numbers to show Randy pitching well against the AL Central recently.

I think your Red Sox bias is annoying, plain and simple. It seems that in every long thread you post in, a post like "This guy on the Red Sox is better than this guy," comes up. Go look at the Omar Vizquel where you argue Orlando Cabrera's defense against Jose Valentin's. You want the White Sox to operate like the Red Sox by just signing a FA starter, and a bullpen guy. You showed how clueless you were about the organization in one thread were you said "KW could've traded for Schilling, or signed David Ortiz," despite the fact that Schilling HATES JR, and at the time of the Ortiz signing, we locked up Paul Konerko, and JR was bringing back Frank Thomas after the "diminished skills clause" fiasco.

We aren't the Red Sox, we can't just buy guys off the market, When will you realize this? :huh:

Yup. I sure am.  You haven't offered any solutions to our bullpen.  You just b****.

Trading for Randy Johnson in my opinion sucks, and I will take that to my grave. With that being said there are plenty of solid options available both on the trade market or the free agent market that I think would look good with the White Sox.

Some names.. Percival, Urbina, Guardado, Williamson, Hasegawa. Even just some proven journey men would be fine with me.

If I remember correctly the bullpen consisted of Bobby Howry, Kelly Wunsch, Bill Simas, Matt Ginter, Sean Lowe and anchored by the almighty Keith Foulke.

Biddle, Eyre, Barcelo, Sturtze and even the good ole Ken Hill can be added to that list.

Whats your point?  Don't tell me this past years bullpen was better.

How many of those guys were young pitchers in the Sox organization that took the next step up? I don't recall seeing any big FA signings in that bullpen.

Some names.. Percival, Urbina, Guardado, Williamson, Hasegawa.  Even just some proven journey men would be fine with me.

Urbina had his option picked up, as did Eddie (who is rehabbing.) Williamson is probably going under the knife and will not pitch for 2005. Hasegawa is interesting, but he just came off a horrible year in which one of our crappy minor leaguers could duplicate at a fraction of the price.

Trading for Randy Johnson in my opinion sucks,

Why? I know you'd take him any day of the week on the Red Sox just because of him and Schillings comraderie in Arizona. Old or not, Randy Johnson is Randy Johnson and I'd take him as my ace any time, and so would any other major league team.

Randy also thinks that he could go another four or five years, the credibility of his statement is questionable, but if he's determined, he'll do it, and if he ends up on the Sox, has a great season, and says "I'm good to go a few more years", then we have a good chance of re-signing him.

But, Randy would not be the first pitcher to pitch in his mid-40's.

He is also a CLASS ACT DELUXE. The man is one of the nicest you'd ever meet. My grandfather and grandmother met him when they lived in Arizona during the Diamondbacks title run, and they know for certain he'd hang up the cleats after his contract runs out if he knew he'd be ineffective due to injury.

The guy still throws 95+, he still strikes out guys by the dozens, and he's still an ace.

I think your Red Sox bias is annoying, plain and simple.  It seems that in every long thread you post in, a post like "This guy on the Red Sox is better than this guy," comes up.  Go look at the Omar Vizquel where you argue Orlando Cabrera's defense against Jose Valentin's.  You want the White Sox to operate like the Red Sox by just signing a FA starter, and a bullpen guy.  You showed how clueless you were about the organization in one thread were you said "KW could've traded for Schilling, or signed David Ortiz," despite the fact that Schilling HATES JR, and at the time of the Ortiz signing, we locked up Paul Konerko, and JR was bringing back Frank Thomas after the "diminished skills clause" fiasco.

We aren't the Red Sox, we can't just buy guys off the market,  When will you realize this?  :huh:

Don't even begin.

- Orlando Cabrera is a much better defensive player than Jose Valentin.

- The White Sox have the money to trade for the most expensive pitcher in the league, yet can't afford to make a couple signings for less money? What are you soft?

- KW could have sat down with Schilling at his home last winter and tried to recruit him to the Southside. KW could have signed David Ortiz.

Your jealousy and outright ignorance is so pathetic, its almost unbearable.

The only player the Red Sox have just bought is Manny Ramirez. Keith Foulke wanted to play in front of packed house in an awesome city, Curt Schilling the same.

When will you realize that a baseball team is a baseball team barring the Yankees, and each team has limited funds whether it be the Red Sox or the White Sox.

How many of those guys were young pitchers in the Sox organization that took the next step up?  I don't recall seeing any big FA signings in that bullpen.

So because the bullpen had few relievers picked up off of the free agent market the 2000 bullpen is comparable to the bullpen the White Sox will field next season?

KW could have signed David Ortiz.

When will you realize that a baseball team is a baseball team barring the Yankees, and each team has limited funds whether it be the Red Sox or the White Sox.

Where would he play second? Or would that be konerko? Also i wish we had limited funds that's over 100 million dollars. Go ahead and rip me, i know you will.

Why? I know you'd take him any day of the week on the Red Sox just because of him and Schillings comraderie in Arizona. Old or not, Randy Johnson is Randy Johnson and I'd take him as my ace any time, and so would any other major league team.

Randy also thinks that he could go another four or five years, the credibility of his statement is questionable, but if he's determined, he'll do it, and if he ends up on the Sox, has a great season, and says "I'm good to go a few more years", then we have a good chance of re-signing him.

But, Randy would not be the first pitcher to pitch in his mid-40's.

He is also a CLASS ACT DELUXE. The man is one of the nicest you'd ever meet. My grandfather and grandmother met him when they lived in Arizona during the Diamondbacks title run, and they know for certain he'd hang up the cleats after his contract runs out if he knew he'd be ineffective due to injury.

The guy still throws 95+, he still strikes out guys by the dozens, and he's still an ace.

What camaraderie is there between Schilling and Johnson. They hate eachother.

Anytime my team is able to pick up an ace, I'd be excited. That is if it doesn't dismantle the team and make the team worse which in my opinion it does.

No weak division bulls*** that comes out of dorfs mouth is going to change my mind. Like I said, I think the deal sucks because of the financial position it puts the White Sox in and the fact that nothing is ultimately fixed from this deal and i'll take that to my grave.

Where would he play second? Or would that be konerko? Also i wish we had limited funds that's over 100 million dollars. Go ahead and rip me, i know you will.

I have actually grown quite a bit of respect for you the last couple weeks.. until this thread. By saying David Ortiz could have signed with the White Sox, im not trying to get people going or what not. Its a fact. Any team could have signed him if they could have found a place for him to play.

It's not like your wish can't come true. If the Cell was filled every night like Fenway is, then I am sure the White Sox would be close to that 100 million dollar range.

Don't even begin. 

- Orlando Cabrera is a much better defensive player than Jose Valentin.

- The White Sox have the money to trade for the most expensive pitcher in the league, yet can't afford to make a couple signings for less money?  What are you soft?

- KW could have sat down with Schilling at his home last winter and tried to recruit him to the Southside.  KW could have signed David Ortiz.

Your jealousy and outright ignorance is so pathetic, its almost unbearable.

The only player the Red Sox have just bought is Manny Ramirez.  Keith Foulke wanted to play in front of packed house in an awesome city, Curt Schilling the same.

You missed the point on Orlando and Jose. It was in a f***ing thread about OMAR.

You must not have read my previous post, or you have a short term memory, because I said I felt that the organization would only raise payroll for someone of the caliber of Randy Johnson.

SCHILLING WILL NOT PLAY FOR A REINSDORF OWNED TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you know KW didn't want David Ortiz? Maybe that was a reason why he invoked Frank Thomas' diminished skills clause back in 2002. :huh IIRC, Reinsdorf was the one who wanted Frank back and cleaned up that whole mess.

Jealousy of what? The Fact that the White Sox don't have $140 million payroll? The fact that we don't have a curse to blame our lack of sucess on?

Your team spent $140 million, f***ed up the A-Rod trade, and cried for a salary cap when the Yankees landed him.

Just shut up already. You don't know s*** about the White Sox organization as evident by thinking there is a remote chance of Schilling playing on the South Side, and suggesting that the Sox go oyut and sign some pitchers even though the team hasn't sign a big name free agent since 1996, and the owner doesn't like giving out long term deals to pitchers.

I done arguing with a Red Sox fan trying to be a fan of the White Sox too.

God, where's the ignore feature when you need it? I guess I'll just have to scroll down faster. :usa

You missed the point on Orlando and Jose. It was in a f***ing thread about OMAR.

You must not have read my previous post, or you have a short term memory, because I said I felt that the organization would only raise payroll for someone of the caliber of Randy Johnson.

SCHILLING WILL NOT PLAY FOR A REINSDORF OWNED TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you know KW didn't want David Ortiz, and that was the reason why he invoked Frank Thomas' diminished skills clause?  IIRC, Reinsdorf was the one who wanted Frank back and cleaned up that whole mess.

Jealousy of what?  The Fact that the White Sox don't have $140 million payroll?  The fact that we don't have a curse to blame our lack of sucess on?

Your team spent $140 million, f***ed up the A-Rod trade, and cried for a salary cap when the Yankees landed him.

Just shut up already.  You don't know s*** about the White Sox organization as evident by thinking there is a remote chance of Schilling playing on the South Side, and suggesting that the Sox go oyut and sign some pitchers even though the team hasn't sign a big name free agent since 1996, and the owner doesn't like giving out long term deals to pitchers.

I done arguing with a Red Sox fan trying to be a fan of the White Sox too.

God, where's the ignore feature when you need it?  I guess I'll just have to scroll down faster.  :usa

Whatever floats your boat although I'll make sure to read your posts when I need a laugh.

EDIT: By the way, go the f*** back to White Sox Interactive.

What camaraderie is there between Schilling and Johnson.  They hate eachother.

Anytime my team is able to pick up an ace, I'd be excited.  That is if it doesn't dismantle the team and make the team worse which in my opinion it does.

No weak division bulls*** that comes out of dorfs mouth is going to change my mind.  Like I said, I think the deal sucks because of the financial position it puts the White Sox in and the fact that nothing is ultimately fixed from this deal and i'll take that to my grave.

Dismantle the team? Garland is running out of time here, he's developing a reputation of being a basket-case. Some may sting from a trade of Paul Konerko, but we have a perfectly fine replacement in Ross Gload who is 100% more of a grinder and left-handed. Gload makes our lineup more scary than Konerko.

If we end up with Grilli as a 5th starter, I would not mind a damn bit. He kept us in games. He pitched his ass off to prove something. After his first few shaky starts he really settled down and pitched like a 4th starter. If we end up with a

Johnson

Garcia

Buerhle

Contreras

Grilli

I think that would be swell. In my opinion, Grilli proved to me he can be a fifth starter if thats how it ends up.

Konerko came up with some huge hits this year, but so did Gload. I recall Gload hitting Frankie Rodriguezes nasty curveball right down the right field line for a double. That impressed me so much. IN that sutuation, Konerko would have struck out or grounded out weakly. Paulie is a fastball hitter, Gload is an everything hitter. Lee and Thomas are fine as our fastball hitters, we do not need three.

I have actually grown quite a bit of respect for you the last couple weeks.. until this thread.  By saying David Ortiz could have signed with the White Sox, im not trying to get people going or what not. Its a fact.  Any team could have signed him if they could have found a place for him to play.

It's not like your wish can't come true.  If the Cell was filled every night like Fenway is, then I am sure the White Sox would be close to that 100 million dollar range.

I don't know what i did in this thread but whatever. I do what i feel is my part, i go to on average of 10 games a year. If i could dish more money i would go to more but i can't.

Dismantle the team? Garland is running out of time here, he's developing a reputation of being a basket-case. Some may sting from a trade of Paul Konerko, but we have a perfectly fine replacement in Ross Gload who is 100% more of a grinder and left-handed. Gload makes our lineup more scary than Konerko.

If we end up with Grilli as a 5th starter, I would not mind a damn bit. He kept us in games. He pitched his ass off to prove something. After his first few shaky starts he really settled down and pitched like a 4th starter. If we end up with a

Johnson

Garcia

Buerhle

Contreras

Grilli

I think that would be swell. In my opinion, Grilli proved to me he can be a fifth starter if thats how it ends up.

Konerko came up with some huge hits this year, but so did Gload. I recall Gload hitting Frankie Rodriguezes nasty curveball right down the right field line for a double. That impressed me so much. IN that sutuation, Konerko would have struck out or grounded out weakly. Paulie is a fastball hitter, Gload is an everything hitter. Lee and Thomas are fine as our fastball hitters, we do not need three.

To each his own.

I don't know what i did in this thread but whatever.  I do what i feel is my part, i go to on average of 10 games a year. If i could dish more money i would go to more but i can't.

I don't appreciate meaningless snide remarks meant solely to be an asshole to me. I think thats fair.