Offer Made For Randy Johnson

redandwhite

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dismantle the team? Garland is running out of time here, he's developing a reputation of being a basket-case. Some may sting from a trade of Paul Konerko, but we have a perfectly fine replacement in Ross Gload who is 100% more of a grinder and left-handed. Gload makes our lineup more scary than Konerko.

If we end up with Grilli as a 5th starter, I would not mind a damn bit. He kept us in games. He pitched his ass off to prove something. After his first few shaky starts he really settled down and pitched like a 4th starter. If we end up with a

Johnson

Garcia

Buerhle

Contreras

Grilli

I think that would be swell. In my opinion, Grilli proved to me he can be a fifth starter if thats how it ends up.

Konerko came up with some huge hits this year, but so did Gload. I recall Gload hitting Frankie Rodriguezes nasty curveball right down the right field line for a double. That impressed me so much. IN that sutuation, Konerko would have struck out or grounded out weakly. Paulie is a fastball hitter, Gload is an everything hitter. Lee and Thomas are fine as our fastball hitters, we do not need three.

In some outings Grilli look ok hitting 94MPH and he is 2 years coming back from arm surgery, which is when he is meant to get most of his velocity back, but no way should we rely on him to be our 5th starter. Most outings he would give up between 4 to 7 runs, which we can't really afford. I say let him start the year off at Charlotte, Diaz as the long man in the pen, and if Grilli has proven he's over the injury and pitches well, then we've got some insurance down at AAA. At least if you trade for a RJ or Hudson without giving Garland, you've got 5 real strong starters, a lot of teams would be extremely envious of our rotation.

In some outings Grilli look ok hitting 94MPH and he is 2 years coming back from arm surgery, which is when he is meant to get most of his velocity back, but no way should we rely on him to be our 5th starter. Most outings he would give up between 4 to 7 runs, which we can't really afford. I say let him start the year off at Charlotte, Diaz as the long man in the pen, and if Grilli has proven he's over the injury and pitches well, then we've got some insurance down at AAA. At least if you trade for a RJ or Hudson without giving Garland, you've got 5 real strong starters, a lot of teams would be extremely envious of our rotation.

Excellent post.

To each his own.

I think you underestimate Gload way too much.

You said earlier in this thread that he cannot replace Paulie. Well, that's obvious, but if we traded Paulie, we are not looking for an exact replica replacement. Put in Paulie's position in this lineup, Gload would hit 100 RBI easy. Home runs don't win World Series, that's been proven year in and year out. If Paulie is such a huge asset to this team, why haven't we done jack in the last five years? It's time to try something new, and Gload is the new.

Everyone acts like they know everything about the White Sox and their payroll. Well, you don't. Kenny has said payrolls that they may have, but never have they said "We are NOT going over so-so amount of money".

Why do you think three fastball hitters is better than two fastball hitters and a grinder?

Your Red Sox have virtually no fastball hitters, most of your team are grinders, and you're telling me the White Sox would be fine with their 3-4-5 clogged with hit or miss hitters?

Now, say more than "to each their own", and there's no need to say "Johnson would take up 1/4 of the payroll", really, who cares if he does? If he makes a difference he deserves all the money he gets.

You said he's no longer a 16 million dollar pitcher and I laugh. Johnson

1) Puts butts in seats

2) Wins games

3) Finishes 2nd in the NL Cy Young race when he should have won it if it weren't for the godawful team behind him

And more. Tell me why you think 3 hit or miss hitters is a good thing. Tell me why basket case Garland is a better thing than Randy Johnson.

What do you think we would have to give up more for?

Johnson or Hudson

I think we can give up Konerko and a prospect for Hudson.

This is a pipe dream but if we were able to trade Lee and Konerko to Oakland for lets say Hudson, Dotel, and and a mid-level prospect. it wouldn't happen though because Oakland would never take on 16 million dollars for next season.

For Johnson, I see Arizona wanting Lee over Konerko. We would have to give up Lee, Garland, and Munoz.

I would rather have Hudson, and I'd be willing to give up extra for him, only if he's willing to negotiate on a contract extension.

What do you think we would have to give up more for?

Johnson or Hudson

I think we can give up Konerko and a prospect for Hudson.

This is a pipe dream but if we were able to trade Lee and Konerko to Oakland for lets say Hudson, Dotel, and and a mid-level prospect. it wouldn't happen though because Oakland would never take on 16 million dollars for next season.

For Johnson, I see Arizona wanting Lee over Konerko. We would have to give up Lee, Garland, and Munoz.

I would rather have Hudson, and I'd be willing to give up extra for him, only if he's willing to negotiate on a contract extension.

According to you, lee=dotels value. :huh:

This is America, your entitled to your opinion and your entitled to not be bashed for it.  I disagree, thats all.

Actually, you can be bashed for your opinion. You spout off, people can use THEIR right of free speech to bash you back.

Also: "Anything you say can and WILL be used against you in a court of law". ;)

EDIT:  By the way, go the f*** back to White Sox Interactive.

That was necessary...??

How about you go the f*** back to the Red Sox board.. or where ever else you might post..?

See.. not nice.

What the hell is going on here..? There can't be one disagreement of opinions lately that people aren't biting others heads off. Good grief folks.. relax a bit.

In all honesty...our deal is the best of the three.

That is rather heartening.

The only pause I have is that the Cardinals offer will cost the DBacks by far the least money. They will save about $15 mil a year in payroll. Depending on how far they want to cut, could make the STL offer more attractive.

The only pause I have is that the Cardinals offer will cost the DBacks by far the least money.  They will save about $15 mil a year in payroll.  Depending on how far they want to cut, could make the STL offer more attractive.

Except weren't there rumors that PK would be signed to an extension before any trade would be completed? Ariz. wants to remain competitive, by the sounds of it

What about a 3 way deal

AZI- gets Pauly

CWS- gets Vazquez

NNY- GEts Rj

This way we have a great pitching staff, for at least the next 3-4 years.

I know I am going to get ripped for this one.

But, Azi is looking to dump payroll, and personally I would want Vazquez over Johnson, Just for the fact that in 3 years Vazquez can become RJ like.

Considering what JR said, i'm going to assume that their is still a shot.  First the Sox and Dbacks have to agree.

To be honest, I'm starting to think RJ may be a White Sox by the end of this offseason.

Randy Johnson.. or Pedro Martinez.. :huh

What about a 3 way deal

AZI- gets Pauly

CWS- gets Vazquez

NNY- GEts Rj

This way we have a great pitching staff, for at least the next 3-4 years.

I know I am going to get ripped for this one.

But, Azi is looking to dump payroll, and personally I would want Vazquez over Johnson, Just for the fact that in 3 years Vazquez can become RJ like.

Vazquez is nothing compared to Johnson, and never will be. We are getting b****slapped in this deal.

If we traded RJ to the Yankees, we would make the Yankees give us way, way, way more then just Vazquez...I'm thinking we'd have to have them give us like Posada and maybe even Flash back too, and perhaps even more then that.

No way in hell would I do that. Not a chance.

Careful Jason...remember what happened as soon as we thought Vizquel and then Guzman would be a White Sox by the end of the offseason...

Nah, I never thought Guzman would be a White Sox. In fact, I'm bold enough to say that I am confident he will end up wearing a White Sox uniform, potentially signing a one year extension as well.

I think it happens during the winter meetings, if not sooner. After that I only expect the Sox to make some minor moves, many of which could be guys that end up getting non-tendered.