Who would you rather have as starting 1B-man?

Wise Master Buehrle

Who would you rather have as starting 1B-man?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have as starting 1B-man?

• Paul Konerko
    • Ross Gload

This needs to be done to find the general consensus.

You approach a wall, a wall with two doors. One door says "Paul Konerko", the other says "Ross Gload". Set aside are some papers stating the obvious...

Konerko: Loves the fastball, has trouble hitting breaking stuff. Slow. Inconsistent. Base-clogger. 35 HR/100 RBI guy. Fan favorite. Great guy. Right-y.

Gload: Grinder. Not a lot of power but can spray the ball to all parts of the field. Nice range, nice defense, average speed, but not a base-clogger. Generally quiet and unknown by the common fan. Gets on base and works with the speed he has. Lefty.

Be sure to set aside any of those "this is how our team would look if if traded Konerko", put all of that aside and just think: Which lineup would work for us better? One with Konerko, or one with Gload?

Konerko is clearly the better player of the two, but...

It boils down to... Golad+$8M vs. Konerko.

So based on this poll... PK.

Is he really? Look behind the stats. Do we need Konerko with Thomas and Lee already our big power hitters? Isn't Gload exactly what KW is looking for? A grinder, a guy who gets the job done and earns his paycheck?

Is he really? Look behind the stats. Do we need Konerko with Thomas and Lee already our big power hitters? Isn't Gload exactly what KW is looking for? A grinder, a guy who gets the job done and earns his paycheck?

Come on now...PK and Gload aren't really compareable hitters.

The reason PK is expendable is because it would give us some financial room to work with.

Come on now...PK and Gload aren't really compareable hitters.

The reason PK is expendable is because it would give us some financial room to work with.

Any two hitters are comparable.

The White Sox are looking for a grind-o-rific 2005 ballclub. SO let's compare the grindyness of Konerko and Gload.

Gload is by far more grinder than Konerko. Just because they aren't the same mold player doesn't mean that they are not comparable, especially in the position the White Sox are in.

Any two hitters are comparable.

The White Sox are looking for a grind-o-rific 2005 ballclub. SO let's compare the grindyness of Konerko and Gload.

Gload is by far more grinder than Konerko. Just because they aren't the same mold player doesn't mean that they are not comparable, especially in the position the White Sox are in.

I know they are compareable by stats, what I meant was PK is a far better hitter than Gload. Yes, Gload it the better grinder, but PK was top 5 in the AL in homers.

I know they are compareable by stats, what I meant was PK is a far better hitter than Gload.  Yes, Gload it the better grinder, but PK was top 5 in the AL in homers.

Konerko is the better homerun hitter, not the better hitter. At least from what we have seen of him this past year and his minor league stats.

I know they are compareable by stats, what I meant was PK is a far better hitter than Gload.  Yes, Gload it the better grinder, but PK was top 5 in the AL in homers.

Top Five Shmop Shmive. I could really give a flying crap about home runs these days. Have home runs helped us in the past? ALways one of the top 3 in home runs is this ballclub, but have we done anything with them?

Is Konerko really the better hitter? It's obvious he's the better slugger, but is he the better hitter? He could be, he could not be. Using home runs to compare who is better or not should be a thing of the past. I've learned my lessons about home runs, and I've learned that they aren't half as great as people make them out to be.

Top Five Shmop Shmive. I could really give a flying crap about home runs these days. Have home runs helped us in the past? ALways one of the top 3 in home runs is this ballclub, but have we done anything with them?

Is Konerko really the better hitter? It's obvious he's the better slugger, but is he the better hitter? He could be, he could not be. Using home runs to compare who is better or not should be a thing of the past. I've learned my lessons about home runs, and I've learned that they aren't half as great as people make them out to be.

Even without homers I still feel that PK could post a better BA and OBP if they were to both play an entire season.

But only time will tell, and we will only find out if PK is traded.

I am in no way knocking Gload, infact I really like Gload, but PK had a monster year this year and could very well have been an All-Star this year.

Konerko is clearly the better player of the two, but...

It boils down to... Golad+$8M vs. Konerko.

So based on this poll... PK.

Agree completely. Kong is better regardless. But when it comes to the $$ and the sox plans.. its Gload. But I'll take Pauly over Gload anyday of the f***ing week. Plus Kong has been doing this for years now. This was Gload's first full yearin the majors! Please. Kong is also doing this around the same age as Gload. Bottom line.. Kong>>Gload.

Gload if it means we have one of the big 3 or RJ in our starting rotation.

LOL Jas, Zero said that if you throw out everything regarding trading for people...and that it was just who would you rather have, Gload or Konerko...who would you choose.

If what we do otherwise has absolutely no effect on my decision...I want Konerko any day of the week. You can have a 8 guys who hit 30 homers on your team...so long as they get on base and can hit more then just solo blasts, I'm fine with it. I'm also fine with only hitting like 170 homers, if that's what it takes to put a winner on the field.

LOL Jas, Zero said that if you throw out everything regarding trading for people...and that it was just who would you rather have, Gload or Konerko...who would you choose.

If what we do otherwise has absolutely no effect on my decision...I want Konerko any day of the week.  You can have a 8 guys who hit 30 homers on your team...so long as they get on base and can hit more then just solo blasts, I'm fine with it.  I'm also fine with only hitting like 170 homers, if that's what it takes to put a winner on the field.

But I don't like reading, lol.

Well in that case throw my vote out, because I would quite obviously go with Paul Konerko. And I'm a huge Gload fan.

Is Konerko really the better hitter? It's obvious he's the better slugger, but is he the better hitter?

Unfortunately I don't live in Chicago anymore, but is this an issue in our great city

anywhere besides this board?

Would you get laughed off any Chicago talk show asking if Gload is as good

or better option that the guy who finished second in the league in hrs?

I mean is this being talked about in Chicago on the shows?

I can't imagine you calling this topic in and not getting laughed off the radio.

I mean Gload may be OK, but there is no comparison bet. Gload and Paulie.

Is Konerko really the better hitter? It's obvious he's the better slugger, but is he the better hitter?

Unfortunately I don't live in Chicago anymore, but is this an issue in our great city

anywhere besides this board?

Would you get laughed off any Chicago talk show asking if Gload is as good

or better option that the guy who finished second in the league in hrs?

I mean is this being talked about in Chicago on the shows?

I can't imagine you calling this topic in and not getting laughed off the radio.

I mean Gload may be OK, but there is no comparison bet. Gload and Paulie.

Yes, soley because over his entire career minus one season Konerko has not only been a good slugger but a good hitter. He's never been selfish and does whatever it takes for the team.

Gload, while a good hitter this past year, doens't have the history of success in the major league level that gload has. However, I think Gload could turn out to be a pretty good player. Not great, but a good role player.