Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gammons was just on ESPN News:

- AL Leiter is a free agent and said he may go back to the Mets, but not as likely

- Detroit may up their payroll to as much as 70/75 million for next year (Koskie, Percival, Lowe, Clement)

- Angels have 40/45 million to spend. Won't give Beltran more per year then they did Vladdy (15 mill per); Angels may be willing to give Varitek that 4th year and then Molina would be moved.

Just on a sort of unrelated side note...I would really like the Sox to sign Troy Percival.  I know he's been rumored to be going to Cubs or Detroit or wherever but wouldn't Marte - Shingo - Percival look awefully good to finish the game.

Hell yes. I've long said screw shortstop, lets sign Percy at 2 yr 10 mill (if thats what the Sox offered Omar). I think Percy would think long and hard about that offer, especially if the Sox kicked in an option for the 3rd year.

Sorry fellas, didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Do you think Kenny would ever take a look at Jeff Nelson.

He made $1,789,841 in 04', he has 13 years under his belt, and he is intimidating as hell.

Nelson can be used as either or middle reliever or a set up man,two things we are in dire need of.

Nelson...

Nelson...

Anyone...

Bueller...

I have heard the Halos are going to make a serious run at Varitek, and if they do, they will look to trade Molina. How about a Konerko and a little cash (or a prospect)for Benji Molina, and Jose Guillen. I would like to get Washburn or Lackey into the deal, but I am not sure how.

I have heard the Halos are going to make a serious run at Varitek, and if they do, they will look to trade Molina.  How about a Konerko and a little cash (or a prospect)for Benji Molina, and Jose Guillen.  I would like to get Washburn or Lackey into the deal, but I am not sure how.

I wouldn't mind Molina on the Southside at all, depends what the Halos do with Piazza, Beltran or Varitek etc., although I think Jason would prob. know a little more about Bengie. Sub Guillen for Scott Shields, and I'm starting to like the deal more.

I wouldn't mind Molina on the Southside at all, depends what the Halos do with Piazza, Beltran or Varitek etc., although I think Jason would prob. know a little more about Bengie. Sub Guillen for Scott Shields, and I'm starting to like the deal more.

If they're playing hardball (giggle) on Shields over Randy Johnson, I wouldn't hold your breath when we're talking about Konerko.

If they're playing hardball (giggle) on Shields over Randy Johnson, I wouldn't hold your breath when we're talking about Konerko.

Yeah that's what I thought, Anaheim doesn't want to deal Shields at any cost, although I'd certainly love him on the Southside, would form a great set-up duo with Marte. I don't want Guillen unless we trade Lee, and still then, he's a huge headcase who I don't think Ozzie or KW would want in the clubhouse. Davanon is probably more likely or perhaps even Figgins or Kennedy (even though he'll miss the 1st few months).

Sorry fellas, didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Do you think Kenny would ever take a look at Jeff Nelson.

He made $1,789,841 in 04', he has 13 years under his belt, and he is intimidating as hell.

Nelson can be used as either or middle reliever or a set up man,two things we are in dire need of.

Nelson...

Nelson...

Anyone...

Bueller...

I would love to see nelson in black and silver, but i think he wants to be on a contender, like rj does

Yeah that's what I thought, Anaheim doesn't want to deal Shields at any cost, although I'd certainly love him on the Southside, would form a great set-up duo with Marte. I don't want Guillen unless we trade Lee, and still then, he's a huge headcase who I don't think Ozzie or KW would want in the clubhouse. Davanon is probably more likely or perhaps even Figgins or Kennedy (even though he'll miss the 1st few months).

If somehow shields was on the sox i would make him a starter right away. Until he was getting rocked in the starting role.

I would think that a Lee, Rowand, Guillen outfield would not be bad at all.

Which is why I didn't understand when DBAH0 said they didn't want Guillen till Lee was traded.

I'm just saying I would expect them to try and move Everett 1st before we tried to acquire a Jose Guillen. I mean we would be able to trade for Guillen even if we had Everett, but we probably wouldn't be filling the holes that we most need to. I know there's a lot of people who want to trade for him, because of his numbers, but there's been a reason he's been on a lot of different ballclubs throughout the last few seasons. I'm just worried we'll have another D'Angelo Jimenez situation on our hands.

I'm just saying I would expect them to try and move Everett 1st before we tried to acquire a Jose Guillen. I mean we would be able to trade for Guillen even if we had Everett, but we probably wouldn't be filling the holes that we most need to. I know there's a lot of people who want to trade for him, because of his numbers, but there's been a reason he's been on a lot of different ballclubs throughout the last few seasons. I'm just worried we'll have another D'Angelo Jimenez situation on our hands.

Jiminez was a jerk, yes ... but he was also a stupid baseball player. Guillen is not.

From Barry Rozner in the Daily Herald:

If they don't get Randy Johnson, look for the White Sox to find a middle of the rotation starter like Matt Clement, someone the Sox have interest in already, according to a source.

There are at least a dozen in Clement's category, and there will be plenty of Al Leiter, Brad Radke and Russ Ortiz types available when the Sox want to start shopping.

Also from the same column:

I have this terrible feeling that if Sox GM Kenny Williams gets desperate enough, he'll call Jose Valentin.

This can't happen again, right?

And this:

Jerry Reinsdorf makes a rare radio appearance today when he joins Mike North on the Score from 8-8:30 a.m.

Red Sox make offer to Miller. I wanted this guy on the Southside. The fact that Boston wants him if they can't get Varitek reinforces that.

While leaving open the possibility of a dramatic turn in negotiations with Jason Varitek [stats, news], the Red Sox [stats, schedule] have begun earnest discussions about a possible replacement for the team's cornerstone catcher.

According to agent Bob Garber, who represents free agent catcher Damian Miller, the Sox yesterday made a two-year offer to the 35-year-old backstop. Miller, who spent this year with the Oakland A's [stats, schedule], is seeking a three-year commitment and is expected to meet with other teams this week before a possible meeting in Boston next week.

Garber would not disclose specific terms of the Red Sox' offer, but the catcher earned a base salary of $3 million with Oakland in 2004, the second of a two-year contract. That suggests the Sox' total offer likely is in the range of $6.5 million to $7 million for the two years.