Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorado's negotiations with Tampa Bay on a Charles Johnson deal have stalled, leaving Pittsburgh as the most likely destination for the catcher.

The Rockies are willing to pay up to $8.25 million of the $9 million Johnson is owed for 2005. However, the $1 million bonus Johnson would receive if traded to any of the 20 teams on his no-trade list is proving to be a problem. "It's not dead yet with Tampa, but it appears to have a faint heartbeat," Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd said.

I'd take him for 750k. :huh

You forget that I can still attack Steff's character, backing up my buddy 3E8. Not checkmate by a long shot.

;)

How do you attack someone's character that you don't even know...?

"Backing up your buddy".. Yikes!! I'm skeerreeddd.. :o

:rolly

"Maybe the Mets' decision to overpay for Kris Benson was just part of some elaborate strategy to drive up the price tags of a bunch of starters they had no interest in."

After the comments Anna made on Howard Stern.. I bet the Mets.. all the way down to the bat boy.. want to keep him and his wife around.  :lol:  ;)

:lolhitting :lolhitting

I'm sure everyone in AAA is hoping to get the call up. :lol:

Actually, i think Barry Bonds got one or two more than he did.    :bang

I cant tell if your trying to make a joke, or you misread my post and thought it said intentional.. but either way, Drew led the league in that category

Bonds Walks - 112

Drew Walks - 118

and again, that is UNintentional walks

I cant tell if your trying to make a joke, or you misread my post and thought it said intentional.. but either way, Drew led the league in that category

Bonds Walks - 112

Drew Walks - 118

I didn't catch that at first either.

Usually you just hear about overall walks or intentional walks. That's pretty crazy about Drew...I never would have guessed that in a million years.

Bonds Walks - 112

Drew Walks - 118

My bad. I saw Intentional walks. That IS pretty incredible.

Here are the stats:

BB IBB

Bonds 232 120

Drew 118 2

Amazing that Drew out-unintentional walked Bonds 116 - 112.

Although the SO were 116 - 41. whew, Bonds is good.

According to the Washington Times, the Nationals have made offers to Odalis Perez and Jaret Wright over the past week.

Considering how little demand there's been so far, Perez might be one of the better signings of the offseason. Washington GM Jim Bowden could use an astute acquisition or two to undo some of the early damage he's done.

The Cardinals reportedly have approached the A's to see whether Tim Hudson is available in trade talks.

No word on how Beane responded. Any Cardinals trade for Hudson would probably have to include Dan Haren and catching prospect Daric Barton.

Well for those not wanting Ortiz it looks like the Dbacks may get him:

"Arizona stands a strong chance of landing free-agent pitcher Russ Ortiz to help anchor a new-look starting rotation, and the roster will likely include a new name for the infield as well, as first baseman Richie Sexson has rejected the Diamondbacks' latest contract offer."

Well for those not wanting Ortiz it looks like the Dbacks may get him:

"Arizona stands a strong chance of landing free-agent pitcher Russ Ortiz to help anchor a new-look starting rotation, and the roster will likely include a new name for the infield as well, as first baseman Richie Sexson has rejected the Diamondbacks' latest contract offer."

The more and more I hear these teams that are talking to pitchers, the more and more I wonder if we are going to sign anyone. I'm hoping next week when the winter meetings start that KW gets us a pitcher.

Al Leiter - S - Mets

Barring a last-minute snag or a surprising change of heart, Al Leiter is expected to sign with the Marlins for one year and at least $6 million, the Miami Herald reports.

The Sun-Sentinel, on the other hand, believes that Leiter still plans to see whether the Mets offer him arbitration next week. If they do, he could take the offer and stay with the Mets. If they don't, Florida would be able to sign him and keep its first-round pick. Dec. 3 - 4:50 am et From rotoworld.

The Phillies are expected to sign Sandy Alomar Jr. to replace Todd Pratt as Mike Lieberthal's backup.

Alomar was in Philadelphia for a physical yesterday. This would be a clear downgrade for the Phillies. Pratt might wind up in Florida as Mike Redmond's replacement. Dec. 3 - 3:50 am et From rotoworld.

Not sure if this is up yet but Crasnick says the Cardinals are favored to resign Matt Morris at a one-year deal. He seems to tbe the pitching version of Nomar Garciaparra. He wants to sign a low base-incentive laden deal and the WHite Sox would be smart to at least pick up the phone on this one. Low financial risk for only one year with the upside being a 22 game winner.

The stipulation in the Yanks contract that the Yanks plan on using to void Giambi's contract is this: "The player agrees to keep himself in the best possible condition."

Considering all the bad side effects caused by steroids I see how this would be no different then an athlete doing a bunch of drucks like coke and heroin and then getting their contract voided. If you ask me, the PA may be strong, but this may be a fight they can't win, especially from the PR standpoint.

On a sidenote, good god, did anyone realize Giambi is owed 84.5 million over the next 4 years.

Someone will still pick up Jason and hope he gets things figured back out. But sounds like he won't be a Yank next year which could open up the possibilities of sending Konerko to New York, I just don't know what the Sox would want.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox03.html

Though the White Sox still have Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Randy Johnson on their winter wish list, the team has made a push for free-agent right-hander Jaret Wright, sources confirmed Thursday.

But just as they lost out on coveted free-agent shortstop Omar Vizquel, the Sox might not be able to match the other offers for Wright, who went 15-8 with a 3.28 ERA for the Atlanta Braves last season.

Wright reportedly has been offered a three-year, $15 million contract from the Seattle Mariners. The New York Yankees also are interested and likely would match or exceed the Mariners' offer. The Washington Nationals and Detroit Tigers also have inquired. Wright, 29, is not expected to re-sign with the Braves.

SSDY :headshake

The Sox also are said to be interested in Cubs free agent Matt Clement. But the Cleveland Indians and Milwaukee Brewers reportedly have stepped up their pursuit of Clement, trying to sign the right-hander before the winter meetings.

The Brewers? :unsure:

Clement was supposedly offered a 3 yr 21-24 mill deal by the Tribe.

I'll bet Clement signs with the Indians, I can't see the Blue Jays being able to beat a three year, eight million per year offer.

Damn, if Clement is healthy, I really don't like the prospect of seeing him and Sabathia on back-to-back days...