Rumors thread

witesoxfan

They won't non-tender him, they'll deal him.  Jones has pretty good trade value and thats most likely the route they will go.

I don't expect him to be a Twin next year, with or without Koskie.

With Dye and Hidalgo now off the market, there will be teams interested in Jones, but there could still be some other outfielders available like Jay Gibbons etc. So it's still a wait and see.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Dye and Hidalgo now off the market, there will be teams interested in Jones, but there could still be some other outfielders available like Jay Gibbons etc. So it's still a wait and see.

But Jones is better then any of those guys. He's one of the better outfielders in baseball (wouldn't say top class, but bottom of the line 2nd class). Speed, great defense, power, can hit for average (although last year wasn't the case).

They'd get an excellent prospect or two for him, imo. And Terry Ryan does a good job of pawning off guys on other teams (see Pyrzinski deal and they did good on the Mient deal as well).

If I remember correctly, I think I read of some speculation that he'd end up with the Cubs.

Right, it seems that the Angels were scared away by Boras and Beltran's demands and I think ESPN through Stark said the Cubs may be falling into the mindset of the Angels and focusing on Drew or Jones

If I remember correctly, I think I read of some speculation that he'd end up with the Cubs.

My baseball source in Minnesotta (quite credible) says Koskie has all but packed his bags for the Jays. The deal was exactly what he wanted and he's heading home.

As for Jacques, Hendry has shown a lot of interest...more than any other team.

He says the Twins are really happy with having locked down Radke for the next couple years as that was their number one priority. He is unsure of the number of any other moves they will make this off-season, but speculates that they will no longer be making any major splash in either free agency or via trade. Radke just about broke the bank.

After a meeting with Detroit, Edgar Renteria's agent said his client was "seriously considering" the Tigers.

"We had a very impressive meeting with the Tigers," agent Jeff Lane said Sunday. "The Tigers are definitely heading in the right direction. They've got an exciting situation there." Lane could just be using Detroit in an attempt to drive up the bids of St. Louis and Boston, but if the Tigers end up with the top offer on the board, they can't be ruled out. Because Carlos Guillen is a fine defensive shortstop, Renteria wouldn't be as good of a signing for the Tigers as he would be for most teams. Guillen would shift to third if Renteria is signed. Dec. 12 - 9:53 pm et

Source: Detroit Free Press

Game Night on ESPN Radio hot stove reports...

-Red Sox getting frustrated with Renteria. They want their guy now. This might force them to head in another direction, possibily Cabrera.

-Red Sox still going over the Pedro situation. No one knows where he's headed.

-The Dodgers have emerged as the front-runner for Maggs, with the O's not too far behind.

-Clement is getting looked at very seriously by the Angels. Some talks about A.J. Burnett.

-Finley has flatened out the Beltran market.

-Koskie is going to be off the board tonight...he's headed to the Blue Jays.

-Moises Alou has just recieved a two year proposal by the Mets.

-Braves, Mets, O's, and Nationals have shown interest in Sosa.

Peter Gammons was on ESPNEWS saying Vazquez for Burnett won't happen.

Moises Alou isn't so sure about playing for the Mets because his father-in-law was murdered there years ago.

Seattle, Tigers, St. Louis, and the Red Sox are all showing interest in Cabrera and Renteria. Cabrera and Renteria want to go to winners.

Boras met with cashman, and they are talking about Beltran for the first time, so no offer has been made yet.

-Red Sox getting frustrated with Renteria.  They want their guy now.  This might force them to head in another direction, possibily Cabrera.

-Red Sox still going over the Pedro situation.  No one knows where he's headed.

BoSox have started talking to OC again, rumor has it Cashman met with Pedro's agent today as well.

-Finley has flatened out the Beltran market.

Unless there is some real darkhorse team it's always been Cubs, Astros, and Yanks.

-Moises Alou has just recieved a two year proposal by the Mets.

Mets dump some older players, then sign more. Pick a road....

-Braves, Mets, O's, and Nationals have shown interest in Sosa.

Nationals, I can see. They are looking to make a big splash and sell tickets.

O's, Angelos loves star power and if he loses out on Magglio, I can see that.

Mets, no clue what they are doing. Not rebuilding, yet going to be bad once again.

Braves, no idea why they would want him. I know they are losing Drew, but Sosa is not the kind of guy Bobby Cox is going to get along with.

Peter Gammons was on ESPNEWS saying Vazquez for Burnett won't happen. 

No shock. Either he's dealt for Randy or he stays.

Seattle, Tigers, St. Louis, and the Red Sox are all showing interest in Cabrera and Renteria.  Cabrera and Renteria want to go to winners.

I'm not sure who is going to be cheaper between OC and Renteria. If Edgar goes to Detroit or stays in STL, OC's price is going to go up if Boston wants him.

According to TSN's Ken Rosenthal, the Mariners are close to finalizing a deal with Richie Sexson.

Seattle's money has been burning a hole in its pocket. Signing Sexson would make a Carlos Delgado acquisition less likely, but it probably won't take the team out of the market for Adrian Beltre. Dec. 12 - 11:18 pm et

If he goes to the Cubs, look for the Twins to get a pretty sweet deal out of it --

Back in July, the Twins were supposed to get 2 prospects in the Nomar deal, they could have held the deal up, and forced to not to be completed in time. They didn't, and the Cubs owe them one.

If he goes to the Cubs, look for the Twins to get a pretty sweet deal out of it --

Back in July, the Twins were supposed to get 2 prospects in the Nomar deal,  they could have held the deal up, and forced to not to be completed in time.  They didn't, and the Cubs owe them one.

I agree. I look for Twins to get a couple of good arms from the Cubs for him. The Cubs match up really well here as they need someone to replace Alou. It's also about whether or not the Cubs are stuck with Sosa.

The Sexson physical wil be interesting. Usually, we just take for gratned that a physical pending means the deal is done but we learned with Vizquel last year and Wright this year that it isn't always the case. I'm sure the Mariners will take a good look at his shoulder, just as they took a good look at Omar a year ago.