Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion he would not be a bad person to look at.

Something is wrong with this. The amount is still way too low.

The Nationals definitely offered Perez 3 years $20 million, not $18 million. The M's are probably offering about $22 million over 3 years, and they'll have the edge over us because Safeco is a pitcher's park. Franklin and Armas could both be interesting to look at though, and Gil Meche is probably available as well.

The Nationals still hope to sign Odalis Perez, but they're afraid the Mariners have topped their offer of $18 million over three years. Once again, it seems as though the Dodgers are sitting this one out. If the Mariners sign. Perez, it's expected that Ryan Franklin will be sent to the pen or traded. Dec. 20 - 3:52 am et

Something is wrong with this. The amount is still way too low.

:ph34r:

Waiting out a potentially long bidding war could leave us out of luck should Perez sign with another club. However, if Williams places his 21mil/3 yr Clement deal on the table perhaps it could be enough. I doubt it, but there's no indication of Seattle's exact bid. Browsing Mariners MLB board, not ONE member has mentioned Perez as a possible suitor for their rotation.

Seattle Post Intelligencer insists further starting pitcher acquisitions won't occur unless Gill Meche is traded. Offensive signings (Beltre/Sexson) have accounted for majority of available funds. If Meche stays in Seattle, Sox could be the front-runner for Perez. Angels, considered Perez's destination following Clement's signing, have a similar dilemma with Washburn.

The Nationals definitely offered Perez 3 years $20 million, not $18 million. The M's are probably offering about $22 million over 3 years, and they'll have the edge over us because Safeco is a pitcher's park. Franklin and Armas could both be interesting to look at though, and Gil Meche is probably available as well.

I haven't heard any offers such as these, but if they're true we're not signing Perez.

I haven't heard any offers such as these, but if they're true we're not signing Perez.

There was an article from a Washington paper at least a week ago where Jim Bowden comfirmed he offered Perez 3 years $20 million, but wasn't very confident on signing him.

Perez at 6 + mill is OK. But more than that, I'd pass. I don't think KW will or should get in a bidding war over Odalis. I want a workhorse/ stopper type, and those will probably only come via trade. Is Perez at $8 mill >> than Vazquez at $10 mill? Not in my book

But a 5th starter via the non-tender route, coupled with getting a top SP, makes sense. Say the sox go after Armas, Jr, who made $2.1 mill in 2004, or Tomo Ohka who made $2.34 mill. They might only get $2 mill. Is Garland at $3.4 mill >>> than Armas / Ohka at $2 mill. A little.

Overall, I'd take a Vazquez + Armas or Ohka combo over Perez + Garland, [and factoring in the hit to the bullpen w/o Marte]

I wouldn't mind Tomo Ohka at all, I'm sure Shingo could do a great sales pitch, and it could help our chances of signing Daisuke Matzusuka in the 2005 off-season. With the money you use for Ohka, you'd have some payroll space leftover to sign a catcher like Pierzynski or sign or trade for a middle infielder like Polanco.

Beltran turned down arbitration from the Astros.... does this mean he can't resign with them now?  Not sure what the effect of this is.  (Because if he can't resign with them, that means Clemens is basically retired)

He (and anyone else who declined arbit)has until Jan 8th to resign with them.

Perez at 6 + mill is OK. But more than that, I'd pass. I don't think KW will or should get in a bidding war over Odalis. I want a workhorse/ stopper type, and those will probably only come via trade. Is Perez at $8 mill >> than Vazquez at $10 mill? Not in my book

But a 5th starter via the non-tender route, coupled with getting a top SP, makes sense. Say the sox go after Armas, Jr, who made $2.1 mill in 2004, or Tomo Ohka who made $2.34 mill. They might only get $2 mill. Is Garland at $3.4 mill >>> than Armas / Ohka at $2 mill. A little.

Overall, I'd take a Vazquez + Armas or Ohka combo over Perez + Garland, [and factoring in the hit to the bullpen w/o Marte]

Yeah, but Vazquez is going to cost you something.

Vazquez will cost Garland + Marte/Konerko.

Garland + Perez + Marte + Konerko >>> Vazquez + Armas - Marte/Konerko.

Also, if we were to get Perez for six million, I imagine we'd still be able to make a run at Pierzynski. That wouldn't happen with Vazquez...

Red Sox acquired outfielder Jay Payton, infielder Ramon Vazquez, RHP David Pauley and $2.65 million from the Padres for outfielder Dave Roberts.

Roberts wanted to be a regular again, and the Red Sox weren't going to stand in his way. As a right-handed hitter, Payton is probably a better fit as the team's fourth outfielder. He can start in place of Trot Nixon against lefties and back up Johnny Damon in center. The cash included should even up the difference in salary between Payton and Roberts. Dec. 20 - 10:23 pm et

Ramon Vazquez - SS - Red Sox

Wtf?