Rumors thread

witesoxfan

Rotoworld:

The Diamondbacks are currently expected to receive Javier Vazquez, Dioner Navarro, Brad Halsey and about $8 million from the Yankees in the Randy Johnson deal that could be finalized soon.

Once a deal is completed, the Yankees will get their 72-hour window to work out an extension with Johnson. The package of players the Diamondbacks might receive still could change if the team isn't confident it can use Navarro to get Shawn Green from the Dodgers. They'd likely receive more cash from the Yankees if Navarro wasn't part of the trade. Dec. 30 - 3:32 am et

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotoworld:

The Diamondbacks reportedly are already discussing a Javier Vazquez trade with the Orioles.

Vazquez wants to stay on the East Coast and the Diamondbacks likely will attempt to accomodate them. Erik Bedard would seem to be a lock to be included in any Vazquez deal between Baltimore and Arizona. The Diamondbacks may also want Jorge Julio or John Maine and an outfielder from the group of Larry Bigbie, Luis Matos and Jay Gibbons. Dec. 30 - 3:29 am et

Source: New York Post

Rotoworld:

Nationals GM Jim Bowden remains in daily contact with Odalis Perez's representatives. It's believed he has a three-year, $18 million proposal on the table.

Seattle reportedly has made a similar offer. It's also believed that the Marlins have entered the bidding for the left-hander. It might take more than $7 million per year to sign him. Dec. 30 - 3:24 am et

Source: Washington Post

And finally, from Rotoworld:

The Cardinals reportedly have agreed to terms with Roberto Alomar on a non-guaranteed one-year, $500,000 contract.

If true, that's cheap enough to allow the Cardinals to still bring in someone to compete for the second base job with him. Mark Grudzielanek and Alex Cora may want guaranteed jobs elsewhere, but Miguel Cairo and Rey Sanchez could be possibilities. Dec. 30 - 3:13 am et

Source: Newsday

Have a topic about this in "The Sports Bar" but I know more people cruise the Rumor thread, so I thought I would post it here....

Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 is saying the Yankees are basically out of the running for Beltran and he will most likely end up with the Astros or Mets, and no matter what Boras is saying the Cubs aren't a real option right now

Score reported that the Reds made an offer to Odalis Perez.  Why did they even bother with Milton (let alone overpaying for him?)  :huh

No kidding... they sign Milton for about the same money Clement got, I didn't understand why they didn't make a pitch for him. All I know is if I ever have a son I'm tying his right arm behind his back!

Score reported that the Reds made an offer to Odalis Perez.  Why did they even bother with Milton (let alone overpaying for him?)  :huh

I'm hoping the Reds throw a lot of money at Perez.

It's always good to have quality pitchers in the NL Central -- especially when they're not on that 'other' Chicago team... :headbang :fthecubs

ESPN has more details on the RJ trade:

Somewhere betw 8.5-9M + Vazquez + LHP Halsley + C Navarro to AZD.

Navarro could then be spun in a deal for S Green LAD.

Teams interested in dealing for Vazquez: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit and Texas.

Money owed to Vaz: 10.5+11.5+12.5 = 34.5M.

There is no mention of the CWS. I do not want him landing in Detroit. Ilich has turned into a big spender this year because he's saving 10's of millions with the NHL lockout.

Industry sources confirm the Orioles remain interested in acquiring pitcher Javier Vazquez, who appears close to heading to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a trade that would send Randy Johnson to the New York Yankees.

Vazquez reportedly wants to stay on the East Coast, and the Orioles are looking for a No. 1 starter. They were interested in the right-hander last winter before the Montreal Expos traded him to the Yankees. Orioles executive Jim Beattie was the Expos' general manager when Vazquez broke into the majors in 1998.

It's believed the Diamondbacks would want at least one of the Orioles' young starters and an outfielder, though a source in Arizona said the team is working on a trade for the Los Angeles Dodgers' Shawn Green. Philadelphia also is interested in Vazquez and apparently is willing to trade pitcher Randy Wolf.

There goes the Wolf-Pack. :lol:

He's a pretty damn good pitcher though, especially for a lefty. It suprises me a little that they'd offer him, but they must value Vazquez fairly highly, even if they have payroll issues. Could force a Lieberthal or Polanco trade perhaps?

There goes the Wolf-Pack.  :lol:

He's a pretty damn good pitcher though, especially for a lefty. It suprises me a little that they'd offer him, but they must value Vazquez fairly highly, even if they have payroll issues. Could force a Lieberthal or Polanco trade perhaps?

Wolf had elbow problems last yr. Would AZ want to risk trading for an injured SP?

Wolf had elbow problems last yr. Would AZ want to risk trading for an injured SP?

So long as he passes all physicals then I'd have to say yes. At his best, Wolf would be a #2 guy in their rotation and he's very Mark Buerhle like.

There goes the Wolf-Pack.  :lol:

Philly's memories of Vazquez are from his time in MON, when he absolutely dominated. It'd be like Johan Santana moving to the NL for a year, sucking ass, and then us getting the opportunity to schnag him the following year; we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Philly's memories of Vazquez are from his time in MON, when he absolutely dominated.  It'd be like Johan Santana moving to the NL for a year, sucking ass, and then us getting the opportunity to schnag him the following year; we'd do it in a heartbeat.

I never thought about it like that.

After months of negotiation it appears done. AZD gets an extra 500K.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...2p-228675c.html

Details:

- NYY get a 72-hr window to sign RJ to 32M/2yr entension & waive his no-trade clause.

- All players must pass physicals (standard practice after Sirogate)

- AZD gets 9M paid in increments over Vaz contract, Vazquez, Halsey, & Navarro.

Speculation:

The AZD have a premiere catching prospect in Koyie Hill so Navarro is likely to be

used to acquire S Green from LAD. The LAD covet Navarro.

The AZD are expected to auction Vazquez. It is said that they have made an internal decision to oblige his preference to remaining on the East Coast.

Leading contenders are: The Phillies, Orioles, Tigers and White Sox.

AZD is expected to ask for at least one established starting pitcher in return.

Apparently Texas dropped out & the White Sox are back in. As the world turns ...

Apparently that demand a trade right was a part of the last labor negotiation & applies to all MLB contracts: A player being traded in the midst of a multi-year contract has the right to demand a trade after serving at least 1/2 the years of the contract. I have to believe there is compensation awarded to the team facing such a demand.

Another shake your head signing:

Wade Miller (7-7; 74; 3.35; Astros) 45W in 3 yrs. BOS signed him to a 1.5M/1yr deal + 3M in incentives.

I can't help but think .. Kenny .. did you call his agent? This is not a 69-75 career Matt Clement signing for 26M/3. This was something the CWS could afford it. If it didn't work out, you lose a small amount of money. If it does work out, you reap the rewards. It bounces Contreras/Garland out of the rotation but I'll take a healthy Miller over them any day.

The Iguchi talks:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

- Sox have become a desirable destination for Japanese players

- "We have become extremely popular in Japan for some of the things [Takatsu] has done"

- "The Japanese press tells me there is a great desire from players to come here."

Williams envisions him a the regular 2B near the top of the order. 2004 Iguchi.333A, 24HR, 89RBI's.

Both AJP & Iggy are to be resolved next week. He expects the ST team to be in place

by end of next week.

Some NYY press are still including Koney in trade talks for Vazquez.

Kenny's going to have a busy week ;)

Is KW selling the Japanese connection to JR in those comments & does that mean they are willing to bid for Iggy's services against the other interested teams?

I'm sorry, I know I haven't taken Geography as a course in over 12 years, but when did Chicago move to the East Coast?

Of our 5 starters, Jon Garland is now the cheapest at 3.5 mil. I just can't see, based on our payroll, trading for Vazquez. KW specifically stated we only would have traded Konerko for RJ.

Those things tell me someone is recycling old news. Vazquez isn't coming to Chicago.